Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I am not sure if ROW 31 would beat any of the MCE seats then, even with the unlimited legroom. There's a point when hips don't fit!
Should be (roughly) the same as exit rows on the Boeing narrow-bodies.

(If it's like the 772s, the windows should also have a little more butt-room, as the armrest is attached to the wall rather than being fully vertical, but it's possible that's no longer the case on the 77W.)
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No, you're just still in denial that AA chose 3x4x3 for the 77W. It's OK, it's a protective psychological defense mechanism.

Originally Posted by hillrider
As I said, it was 10-year old math ... one who can multiply, subtract, divide but has yet to learn how to count accurately!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
The rest of MCE has decent leg room as indicated in other posts. However, Row 31 is better than the other MCE seats except row 16 (Rows 17-19).
I'd put a question mark on that as although there is more leg room in 31 in theory, the extremely narrow aisles mean that this becomes the only passing place for people moving around and a gathering point for access to the toilets in a more obtrusive way than it was on the 772.

Proximity to the galley and the narrow aisles again make it a poor choice unless you have a window seat as the aisle gets constant bumps from anyone moving around, no matter how careful they try to be.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
16 DEH

Hi there, can anyone advise when seats 16 DEH come available for selection? I’ve seen photos and the bulkhead looks quite a distance in front of the seats making these pretty desirable but they are the only seats in the MCE cabin that are blocked (presumably as there is a bassinet position there).

Do they only come up for selection at OLCI or a few days before departure or even just at the airport?

Currently in 16J which looks like a great seat but I don’t like having nothing in front of me and I like having a pocket to put my stuff in!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:14 pm

I flew back in J on the 77W with the family having all been upgraded. We were originally in MCE, and I had resigned myself to the fact to travel in MCE as a consolation and it would not be that bad. Correction - it doesn't look inviting at all when you are in J. It only looks marginally better than Y. Noone in MCE looks relaxed and happy to be there, and this was for a daytime flight.

No brainer, right - travel in J where possible? No kidding. All I want to impress here is that if there is any option that you have, using miles, pleading, asking that extra person, it's well worth your efforts to try and move to a forward cabin. I think I must have spoken to about 10 reps on and off to get those upgrades, and make my flight - it was WELL worth it. Don't resign yourself to hoping your name gets called and settling on MCE as a consolation.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
So has anyone here actually done the 10 hours DFW-LHR in cattle car 3-4-3 Y on the 777-300? It doesn't sound like fun, but is it bearable?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
I would also like someone to confirm this.
And this someone has to have been there with a tape measure and carefully measured both seats. (sitting in both and walking by are very subjective references)

Until then, I will be very skeptical about the claims of 18" versus 17".

[And if you were AA, wouldn't you make a big deal about this and include in the marketing material the fact that the seats in MCE are wider in the new 777s??? It is not unusual to have different MCE products in different aircrafts. Just like there are different business class seats in different aircrafts, and airlines have no problem pointing that out, like BA's new premium economy on new 777s f.e.]
I haven't sat in MCE, but did a walk through on my last flight, and while I did not measue the seats, it was obvious to me that they were wider: when walking down the aisle and back, you notice that the 3 seats on either side of MCE stick out more than the 3 seats in MC.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Well...based on the input from this thread I changed my seat from 17 J to 16J...hope I don't get rolled over by PAX or carts...I'll do a 'concise' report if someone else doesn't do it before I fly.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
I did 17J on Flt 100 last Thursday. Very comfortable, happy with my choice, had empty middle. I had 16J as option too, but just wanted 'safety' of extending legs and not risking getting stepped or rolled onto. But I think 16J would be fine as well. I would not do 16DEH, divider in front of them seems a bit close. Legroom was great, when 16J was fully reclined into me it was really no issue, could eat fine, get in/out, etc. Biggest thing was the video screen did not have a tilt capabilty, so when 16J was reclined, the screen was pointed downward a bit, but it wasn't terrible. That may be another reason to go with 16, their video is individual pop-out from armrest. I would avoid 16A/L, the door bulge is a bit in the way.

I got to MCE via my Plat status, guy in my row said he paid $118 for upgrade that was offered to him at check in and was thrilled with it. I'd say maybe 15-18 seats of 30 in MCE were occupied.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:25 am

I just did LHR-DFW in 16L (exit row, MCE, "window") on the 77W (evip did not clear, booooo). This seat had one plus and many minuses:

Plus: Infinite legroom. The exit door does not intrude into your legs' space, as it does on the 757 seat 10A, for example.

Minuses:
1) No overhead bin available over row 16, and since this is an exit row, everything had to go overhead. So I had to use bins over others' seats, which was fine this time, but could cause aggravation and conflict.
2) No window. There is a small window built in to the exit door, but you have to lean wayyyyy forward to peak out of it, and then all you can see is a slice of the wing. There is no window well where your shoulders end up when sitting up or reclining.
3) Very narrow. Although people have reported in this thread that the MCE seats are wider than the E- seats, this particular seat seemed very narrow to me. Since there is no window, this seat at least feels narrower than the other MCE window seats. Also, the single magazine holder for 16J, K, L is built in to the wall next to 16L, further narrowing the space available. I am not terribly wide in the shoulders, and the person in 16K was also fairly slender, but nevertheless we constantly knocked shoulders during the flight.
4) Very close to lavatory. The people waiting didn't invade my space, but every time the door opened, we were staring right in to the lavatory and its light. Not a big deal on this day flight, but could be bad on a redeye. I did sense the people waiting were intruding into the space of the row 16 aisle seats.
5) Extremely cold due to proximity of exit door. I had a down coat draped over my legs and was wearing a wool sweater, so was comfortable, but the person in 16K claimed it was the coldest flight he had experienced.

I guess getting off the plane among the first coach passengers is another minor plus.

I will try a different seat next time I am stuck in MCE on a 77W. 16L was not a good choice, I am sorry to say.

Incidentally, we were chatting with the flight attendant by the door during approach to DFW, and she told us that the FAs have already dubbed the 77W the new Slaaveship, worse even than the 757 in coach. They hate it because it only crews one more FA than the 772, despite having many more passengers (according to her). The service in MCE on this flight was something worse than perfunctory and better than actively rude.

Take care,
saunders111

Last edited by saunders111; Apr 2, 2013 at 8:57 am
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by tdukie
OK--flying LHR-->DFW on the new 777W. I have the option of the 16b (middle row) seat in Main Cabin Extra or 31 on the Exit in the Main Cabin. Anyone want to tell me which they thing would be better. I am quite territorial about the arm rests
NFW would I take the middle.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by saunders111
I just did LHR-DFW in 16L (exit row, MCE, "window") on the 77W (evip did not clear, booooo). This seat had one plus and many minuses:

Plus: Infinite legroom. The exit door does not intrude into your legs' space, as it does on the 757 seat 10A, for example.

Minuses:
1) No overhead bin available over row 16, and since this is an exit row, everything had to go overhead. So I had to use bins over others' seats, which was fine this time, but could cause aggravation and conflict.
2) No window. There is a small window built in to the exit door, but you have to lean wayyyyy forward to peak out of it, and then all you can see is a slice of the wing. There is no window well where your shoulders end up when sitting up or reclining.
3) Very narrow. Although people have reported in this thread that the MCE seats are wider than the E- seats, this particular seat seemed very narrow to me. Since there is no window, this seat at least feels narrower than the other MCE window seats. Also, the single magazine holder for 16J, K, L is built in to the wall next to 16L, further narrowing the space available. I am not terribly wide in the shoulders, and the person in 16K was also fairly slender, but nevertheless we constantly knocked shoulders during the flight.
4) Very close to lavatory. The people waiting didn't invade my space, but every time the door opened, we were staring right in to the lavatory and its light. Not a big deal on this day flight, but could be bad on a redeye. I did sense the people waiting were intruding into the space of the row 16 aisle seats.
5) Extremely cold due to proximity of exit door. I had a down coat draped over my legs and was wearing a wool sweater, so was comfortable, but the person in 16K claimed it was the coldest flight he had experienced.

I guess getting off the plane among the first coach passengers is another minor plus.

I will try a different seat next time I am stuck in MCE on a 77W. 16L was not a good choice, I am sorry to say.

Incidentally, we were chatting with the flight attendant by the door during approach to DFW, and she told us that the FAs have already dubbed the 77W the new Slaaveship, worse even than the 757 in coach. They hate it because it only crews one more FA than the 772, despite having many more passengers (according to her). The service in MCE on this flight was something worse than perfunctory and better than actively rude.

Take care,
saunders111
Thanks- this helps me replan my seatalert on EF. I removed row 16 entirely. Here's hoping my upgrade clears and I don't have to worry about it, though.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by saunders111

Minuses:
Great detailed description.

But this sounds just like row 31 on the old 777s that people here LOVE. No?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Everyone has different priorities, but for me, I'll always sacrifice a window, 1-2 inches of seat width, and having to share overhead space for an extra few feet of pitch
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:43 am

Great detailed description.

But this sounds just like row 31 on the old 777s that people here LOVE. No?
Perhaps what is going on here is that MCE changes the equation. Pre-MCE, having sufficient legroom* was the single most important thing; everything else was secondary. But in a world with MCE, there are suddenly lots of seats with "acceptable" legroom, so the things that we sacrificed before suddenly become more important.

Certainly, I would feel much more positive about 16L if the only other choice was an E- knee-bumper seat. But that's not the case on the 77W.

Does this make sense?

saunders111

* And recline, perhaps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.