Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Is the legroom better in MCE or row 31?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 2:26 am

So i can choose either a middle seat in MCE or go back into the regular cabin and get a window, is MCE worth taking a middle seat?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 3:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by daverdfw
So i can choose either a middle seat in MCE or go back into the regular cabin and get a window, is MCE worth taking a middle seat?
This post has been moved here from another thread as this is the correct place for this question.

~Moderator
Old Mar 7, 2013, 3:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Is the legroom better in MCE or row 31?
The front row of MCE on the left and right blocks have 'unlimited' leg room due to the exit door. Aside from those 6 seats then 31 should have better leg room than the rest of MCE but a slightly narrower seat.

Real question I guess is just how much room you need and is MCE 'enough'?

I've not flown back there yet so can't comment from personal experience.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:39 pm

I did a thorough inspection of coach on my LHR-DFW 77W trip this week. MCE is nice. The first row has unlimited leg room, but 16A and 16L have a piece of the door blocking the unlimited leg space so it's a bit more restrictive than the other seats in row 16. And even though it is a new plane, 16A and 16L are a bit colder due to the exit door.

The rest of MCE has decent leg room as indicated in other posts. However, Row 31 is better than the other MCE seats except row 16 (Rows 17-19).

For business, the window seats are extremely preferable to the middle seats if traveling alone. Unlike the CX business seats, there are no dividers between the middle seats (except for the cabinet door with mirror). The window seats afford much more privacy. If traveling with a companion, the middle seats would be preferable.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I did a thorough inspection of coach on my LHR-DFW 77W trip this week. MCE is nice. The first row has unlimited leg room...
Is that actually true for the middle section?

I've not spent any time back there yet, but it looked like the bulkhead in the middle would restrict the legroom there compared to the left and right sections.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP | US PLT | Marriott PLT Premier | IHG PLT
I did a thorough inspection of coach on my LHR-DFW 77W trip this week. MCE is nice. The first row has unlimited leg room, but 16A and 16L have a piece of the door blocking the unlimited leg space so it's a bit more restrictive than the other seats in row 16. And even though it is a new plane, 16A and 16L are a bit colder due to the exit door.

The rest of MCE has decent leg room as indicated in other posts. However, Row 31 is better than the other MCE seats except row 16 (Rows 17-19).

For business, the window seats are extremely preferable to the middle seats if traveling alone. Unlike the CX business seats, there are no dividers between the middle seats (except for the cabinet door with mirror). The window seats afford much more privacy. If traveling with a companion, the middle seats would be preferable.
Thanks for the update. Are MCE seats wider than economy since there is 1 less seat per row?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by joejoe666
Thanks for the update. Are MCE seats wider than economy since there is 1 less seat per row?
I would also like someone to confirm this.
And this someone has to have been there with a tape measure and carefully measured both seats. (sitting in both and walking by are very subjective references)

Until then, I will be very skeptical about the claims of 18" versus 17".

[And if you were AA, wouldn't you make a big deal about this and include in the marketing material the fact that the seats in MCE are wider in the new 777s??? It is not unusual to have different MCE products in different aircrafts. Just like there are different business class seats in different aircrafts, and airlines have no problem pointing that out, like BA's new premium economy on new 777s f.e.]
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:20 pm

I didn't sit in coach so I couldn't tell. I guess technically I would have had to sit in both MCE and MC to compare. But from what I could tell, the aisles were way more spacious in MCE and extremely narrow in MC. So I would say the seat width is probably the same in MC and MCE.

As for the bulkhead in the center section of Row 16, good point. I'm trying to recall now. I think it was still an ample amount of room. I would have preferred that to Row 31 if I were traveling alone given the mini-cabin feel of MCE. But if you're traveling as a couple, Row 31 would be the best (even better than MCE).
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by carlosdca
And this someone has to have been there with a tape measure and carefully measured both seats.
Someone in another thread has measured them with a tape measure. Don't remember what the verdict was, but it's posted on FT somewhere.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, MCE seats on the 77W are wider; AA claims that they are 18 inches compared to the E- width of 17 inches:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corpo...acts/fleet.jsp

Originally Posted by carlosdca
And this someone has to have been there with a tape measure and carefully measured both seats. (sitting in both and walking by are very subjective references)

Until then, I will be very skeptical about the claims of 18" versus 17".

[And if you were AA, wouldn't you make a big deal about this and include in the marketing material the fact that the seats in MCE are wider in the new 777s??? It is not unusual to have different MCE products in different aircrafts. Just like there are different business class seats in different aircrafts, and airlines have no problem pointing that out, like BA's new premium economy on new 777s f.e.]
No need to measure them or be skeptical - as AA has confirmed their width, in addition to the Flyertalker on board the inaugural flight.

I didn't sit in coach so I couldn't tell. I guess technically I would have had to sit in both MCE and MC to compare. But from what I could tell, the aisles were way more spacious in MCE and extremely narrow in MC. So I would say the seat width is probably the same in MC and MCE.
You're right about the aisles - the MCE aisles are substantially wider (roughly equivalent to the 77E aisle width) but the MCE seats are in fact an inch wider than the E- seats.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
You're right about the aisles - the MCE aisles are substantially wider (roughly equivalent to the 77E aisle width) but the MCE seats are in fact an inch wider than the E- seats.
Yes, thanks.

I don't understand the doubts given that 10-year old math can be used to validate this:
  • Approx total width of Y seats: 9 * 17" = 153"
  • Approx total width of Y+ seats: 8 * 18" = 144"
  • Difference in seat width: 153" - 144" = 9"
  • Approx extra width per aisle 9" / 2 = 4.5"

So yes, the Y+ aisles are going to be approx 4.5" (11 cm) wider given Y+ seats that are 1" wider than Y ones.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by hillrider
Yes, thanks.

I don't understand the doubts given that 10-year old math can be used to validate this:
  • Approx total width of Y seats: 9 * 17" = 153"
  • Approx total width of Y+ seats: 8 * 18" = 144"
  • Difference in seat width: 153" - 144" = 9"
  • Approx extra width per aisle 8" / 2 = 4.5"

So yes, the Y+ aisles are going to be approx 4.5" (11 cm) wider given Y+ seats that are 1" wider than Y ones.
You're probably right, although the math above is based on the wrong number of seats..

It's 10 non-MCE (Y-) seats, and 9 MCE (Y).
  • Approx total width of Y seats: 10 * 17" = 170"
  • Approx total width of Y+ seats: 9 * 18" = 162"
  • Difference in seat width: 170" - 162" = 8"
  • Approx extra width per aisle 9" / 2 = 4"

And there ain't no Y+ on AA.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Yes, MCE seats on the 77W are wider; AA claims that they are 18 inches compared to the E- width of 17 inches:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corpo...acts/fleet.jsp

No need to measure them or be skeptical - as AA has confirmed their width, in addition to the Flyertalker on board the inaugural flight.
Thank you FWAA. I was not aware of that section of AA's website with the seat specs for all aircraft.

Back to best coach seats.

Row 31 might be possibly even less than 17"??? Since usually the tray tables in armrest reduce a little bit the seat width??
I am not sure if ROW 31 would beat any of the MCE seats then, even with the unlimited legroom. There's a point when hips don't fit!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
You're probably right, although the math above is based on the wrong number of seats..

It's 10 non-MCE (Y-) seats, and 9 MCE (Y).
  • Approx total width of Y seats: 10 * 17" = 170"
  • Approx total width of Y+ seats: 9 * 18" = 162"
  • Difference in seat width: 170" - 162" = 8"
  • Approx extra width per aisle 9" / 2 = 4"

And there ain't no Y+ on AA.
As I said, it was 10-year old math ... one who can multiply, subtract, divide but has yet to learn how to count accurately!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.