Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
Booked into economy right now on a 77W flight LHR-JFK. First time flying this in the back unless upgrade clears. I only see middle MCE seats open, 33C open, and a bunch of preferred aisle/windows.

Anyone beein in those MCE middles and would prefer them to the preferred aisles a bit further back?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by plat
Booked into economy right now on a 77W flight LHR-JFK. First time flying this in the back unless upgrade clears. I only see middle MCE seats open, 33C open, and a bunch of preferred aisle/windows.

Anyone beein in those MCE middles and would prefer them to the preferred aisles a bit further back?
Aisle > middle, even with MCE.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Umrswimr
Is there a bulkhead middle open in MCE? And for those who've actually flown it, is there enough room to get to the aisle without disturbing neighbors?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Umrswimr
Although I have no personal experience with being in economy on the 77W, I will say that not everyone here will agree with that.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 3:34 am

Hi all,

I am booked on the 77W in Economy but have noticed that for the grand old price of £56 each way, I can book 33J going out and 31K on return. As 31k is an exit row I assume this is a must - but is 33J the seat with the extra leg room because the row in front only has 2 seats, and if so is it worth paying for this? I can choose aisle seats for free.

Also, will the exit row seats on the opposite side open up 96hrs before departure or are they gone?

ETA: My preference is to stretch my legs out due to old knee injuries. I prize leg room over anything else.

Last edited by sharplea; Sep 20, 2013 at 5:07 am
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:27 am

Can anybody help before these seats go ?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 2:59 am
Suspended

Best 77W / 777-300ER Economy Class / Main Cabin Extra / MCE seat (consolidated)

It seems very few posters speak from personal experience if 773. Lots of seat guru mavens and those presuming 772 is the same. Anyone with a number of real flights on 773 who can answer these questions from knowledge not just opinion? Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:41 am

Best 77W / 777-300ER Economy Class / Main Cabin Extra / MCE seat (consolidated)

Just got back from 2 flights on 77W in MCE. Also took a couple in business a few months back. Here's my take -

MCE (any seat) > Economy (non-exit row)

I sat in row 18 (last row in MCE I believe) and feel like these are the best seats. First row (16) have immovable arm rests but more leg room. I'm 6'1" and had ample leg room in row 18 with a full recline. I also sat in row 17 and found it to be fine, but I prefer 18 as it feels a bit more secluded.

MCE is 3x3x3 as you probably know and the main economy section is 3x4x3. It makes a pretty big difference IMO.

On the bulkhead question - yes there is enough room in bulkhead middle seat to get over the passengers beside you without disturbing them. It's not a ton of room for bulkhead middle, but you should be able to easily step around unless you are very big.

I've also sat in the exit row in main economy and it was okay, but the immovable armrests really reduce your space. I would likely prefer MCE ... But not MCE middle seat over the exit row.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AUSMatt
I've also sat in the exit row in main economy and it was okay, but the immovable armrests really reduce your space. I would likely prefer MCE ... But not MCE middle seat over the exit row.
I have a different opinion on that choice.

I'll take any MCE seat over anything further back.

Even though the exit row does have enough leg room, the cabin is so cramped and claustrophobic it really feels very unpleasant back there.

If I am not in F/J I'll only fly on a 773 if I'm in MCE. If I can't get MCE I'll take a different flight.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjlon
It seems very few posters speak from personal experience if 773. Lots of seat guru mavens and those presuming 772 is the same. Anyone with a number of real flights on 773 who can answer these questions from knowledge not just opinion? Thanks.
There aren't exactly a lot of these planes, or a lot of routes flying them, yet.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by rjlon
What questions do you have?

Perhaps I missed your post, but I can't see any unanswered questions from you in this thread ...

I'm sure I'm not alone in having multiple flights on the 773 now and I've traveled in F/J/Y (MCE). Not traveled in standard Y, but did head back there and sampled a seat in an empty row to confirm how I feel about the 3-4-3 layout.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mark_T
I'll take any MCE seat over anything further back.
Even though the exit row does have enough leg room, the cabin is so cramped and claustrophobic it really feels very unpleasant back there.
Just to pursue your experience a bit...why claustrophobic? I get that 3x4x3 is extra cramped. But the exit rows are pairs off to the side, so there should be extra room (not just in front) around that space, no? Are you referring to people crowding nearby for the lavatory? Cabin wall curve intrusion? I've been going back between trying the exit row and an aisle non-bulkhead (taken) in MCE. Only traveled in biz on the 77W...and hope to keep it that way, pending the SWU gods.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
What is it about 77W Y don't you understand...
Xian warriors have more room than the 10 across seating, especially for a 9 hour flight...
Having flown this beautiful bird, the interior in Y is frankly an abortion...calculated to move
PAX to J after a single flight in Y...if....one can afford it..
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Potreroflyr
Just to pursue your experience a bit...why claustrophobic? I get that 3x4x3 is extra cramped. But the exit rows are pairs off to the side, so there should be extra room (not just in front) around that space, no?
It is utterly impossible to move in the aisle without bumping into passengers on both sides so what you have there at the exit door is a tiny oasis of space surrounded by people on all sides.

That space gets invaded by people queuing for the toilets, as well as being the only turning/parking space available for the trolleys.

The exit row seats are better than anything else back there for sure, but a long way short of the 772 experience.

I will never willingly book a flight which involves me having to go further back than MCE on a 773 and I'd be surprised if anyone else was happy at doing it a second time after they have their first experience back there ...
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mark_T
I will never willingly book a flight which involves me having to go further back than MCE on a 773 and I'd be surprised if anyone else was happy at doing it a second time after they have their first experience back there ...
Is MCE protected in IRROPS? I was under the impression it wasn't. IRROPS aside, do you ever change your return flight at the last minute, and if so, is there any guarantee (or even particularly good chance) of staying with MCE?

That's my big worry about flying the 77W, and about MCE as an alternative to a real ticketed Premium Economy product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.