Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nkedel
Is MCE protected in IRROPS? I was under the impression it wasn't. IRROPS aside, do you ever change your return flight at the last minute, and if so, is there any guarantee (or even particularly good chance) of staying with MCE?
No idea, but if I'm changing my flight at the last minute I'm still likely to have the option of a 772 if there is no MCE available, and given that MCE is where most last minute upgrades are most likely to be drawn from it can be surprisingly easy to get MCE at the last minute as long as they didn't fill J early.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:19 am

Bearing in mind I'm European and as such have only flown A321's etc within Europe - what are the Y seats like compared to these?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Just completing an around the world trip today. Currently on AA 51 LHR DFW in MCE. The guy in front is fully reclined and I still have good room. I am 6'2 leg room fine. Row 16 is the one to get if you can Exit row MCE. I have not sat in coach across either ocean in 15+ years (thank you EVIPS) so far so good tho.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mach92
Row 16 is the one to get if you can Exit row MCE.
Only downside to row 16 is you get the tray-table in the armrest and it really is badly designed.

The tray the food is served on does not match in size or shape so you will find it either skates around on the table or just tips over if you put your water bottle too far back.

Perfectly good seat aside from that though.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:26 pm

No MCE for our party of 4 on AAdvantage awards DFW-LHR next spring so am wondering about a strategy to make it through the 9 hour flight. Safer to go with row 27 middle section of 4 or try to go for the window and aisle seats along the sides hoping that the middle seat will remain empty? I realize the further back in the plane the greater the chances of this working out. Are these flights typically full? Also is the in seat video on demand in the 777W or do they just show everyone the same movies? It seems that the AA website references this both ways.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Redeemed
Also is the in seat video on demand in the 777W or do they just show everyone the same movies? It seems that the AA website references this both ways.
The 77W's have AVOD with nice large screens and a large variety of movies and shows.
The 772's have (small) PTV's but, it's on a ~20 minute loop.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
My feedback from a recent flight last week. Avoid 16A (and I'd assume 16J or whatever the window is on the other side). What is mentioned as a door intrusion is actually a curve in the wall right about where your knee is, and sticks in about 2 inches. It's more than just the door in front of you.

Unfortunately I didn't snap a pic, but should have as it would have been very helpful here.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Sorry wrong thread

Last edited by lagunas2k; Oct 19, 2013 at 9:02 pm Reason: wrong thread
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
3 traveling with baby, using car seat. Row 16 or row 19? I think 16 (middle) have armrests that dont go up, but we will have extra leg room. Thoughts?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by chanp
3 traveling with baby, using car seat. Row 16 or row 19? I think 16 (middle) have armrests that dont go up, but we will have extra leg room. Thoughts?
I would go with 16 due to the significant amount of room available due to the exit. You'll be able to get up and tend to your child much easier, even walk around if necessary.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:31 am

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Row 16, or another middle bank; MUCH easier to take care of an infant in the middle with parents on either side -- in a window bank of three, the car seat has to go in the window, and only one parent will be next to the infant.

Most car seats should fit fine in 773 MCE bulkhead seats; ours (Britax B-safe, not a small one as rear-facing go although far from the largest) fits fine in the 763 bulkhead seats, which are narrower (but probably wider than the non-MCE.)

I would be a little concerned about a car seat in 773 non-MCE bulhead -- that quarter inch in width might keep it from fitting. I'd still take the best seats available (even if bulkhead), as they are usually pretty easy to trade away from.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
Row 16, or another middle bank; MUCH easier to take care of an infant in the middle with parents on either side -- in a window bank of three, the car seat has to go in the window, and only one parent will be next to the infant.

Most car seats should fit fine in 773 MCE bulkhead seats; ours (Britax B-safe, not a small one as rear-facing go although far from the largest) fits fine in the 763 bulkhead seats, which are narrower (but probably wider than the non-MCE.)

I would be a little concerned about a car seat in 773 non-MCE bulhead -- that quarter inch in width might keep it from fitting. I'd still take the best seats available (even if bulkhead), as they are usually pretty easy to trade away from.
Thanks for the info. We are in 16 deh right now, but 19deh is avail as well. I was worried about the car seat not fitting in the bulkhead, as the armrests are fixed. We are using a maxi cosi prezi, so I think it should fit. Do you just use the seat or the base too?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Thanks for the info. We are in 16 deh right now, but 19deh is avail as well. I was worried about the car seat not fitting in the bulkhead, as the armrests are fixed. We are using a maxi cosi prezi, so I think it should fit. Do you just use the seat or the base too?
We just used the seat; the base stayed in the car for us.

I'm not sure if the bases are flight-legal, but if you can stand carrying one more thing, you could bring it on -- the extra narrower height might help with any issues. I wouldn't expect it, though the dimensions showing for your car seat on Amazon are actually 7/10th of an inch narrower than the Britax.

11CEG on the 763 bulkhead row worked great, as did a non-bulkhead on the 762. The 772 seats and MCE seats on the 773 are enough wider (around 1/2" more) that they'd have to have done something very weird with the armrests to not have either car seat fit.

Good luck! Transcon with a 6 month old was a handful, hard to see TATL being any easier.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
32B vs 33C vs Middle MCE (and I hate the middle)

32B and 33 C are both open on the LAX - LHR flight. An upgrade is looking poor (very poor) -

32 B Aisle with seat in front - can stow a small bag. 33C seems to have nothing in front - so where is the Screen, and after take off is there anywhere to put something in front.

Thoughts on best options and why? Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.