Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
MCE on the 772 will be 3-3-3 seating.
As others have said, sadly, no (at least eventually; it sounds from the link provided that there will be two configurations for part of next year.)

And even on the 77W, with a relatively small MCE cabin, I'm one irrops from a very narrow seat.

he reason i avoid other oneworld carriers is because of the lack of MCE
OTOH, CX and JL are 9-across to begin with, and the JL 787 is 8-across.

CX makes extra-legroom seats (although the supply is limited) available for free to OW Sapphire and Emerald (not sure about Ruby) although you have to call to get them; JL is more problematic as there are no advance seat assignments in the cheapo buckets.

Both also have a very nice premium economy product, unlike the just-extra-legroom product on the 772 and the "it's only wider because we made main cabin narrower" MCE on the 77W.

Well except codeshare flights tend to cost more on an AA flight # in my experience.
For the routes I fly, codeshares are almost always competitive with AA's own flights, and sometimes much cheaper (in general, over the past year, the cheapest AA flight number way to Asia from near here has pretty often been either via SFO-HND or connecting SJC-LAX-SAN-HND, rather than SFO/SJC-LAX-NRT on AA metal.)

CX on a non-mile-earning ticket is almost always cheaper, and enough so that when/if I get to lifetime PLT (1.74MM now) that I'll probably just fly those and forgo the RDM... unless I move most of my flights to Premium Y in which case CX is already the winner there.

Then you run into those tricky fare classes and mileage earning problems.
If you're not on a codeshare, yeah. Not that it's very tricky; when Cathay H fares were lower, I used to deal with that pretty regularly.

But there will still be only routes where AA is the sole carrier.
Sure, for some -- although we differ on the desirability of a nonstop all other things being equal. Under the old aircraft mix, I'd go out of my way to get the better seat on a 772 over a 763 or worse yet, 757, and that only increases now.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by nkedel
As others have said, sadly, no (at least eventually; it sounds from the link provided that there will be two configurations for part of next year.)
I'm not convinced MCE on the 772 will go 3-4-3. I'll have to ask my sources. But the link provided is just one blogger's opinion. The original plan was 3-3-3 in MCE so i'm sticking with that until we see a seatmap officially.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourP...0-retrofit.jsp

aa's own website is still listing "45 MCE Seats" which is on par with the 3-3-3 configuration.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not convinced MCE on the 772 will go 3-4-3. I'll have to ask my sources. But the link provided is just one blogger's opinion. The original plan was 3-3-3 in MCE so i'm sticking with that until we see a seatmap officially.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourP...0-retrofit.jsp

aa's own website is still listing "45 MCE Seats" which is on par with the 3-3-3 configuration.
I hope you're right; it's sounded pretty definite from JonNYC and some of the other semi-insiders in the 772 refurb thread.

Given the option of 9-across (or 8-across real Premium Y) I am never going to pay for 10-across, even if the choice is less legroom on 9-across or more on 10.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by nkedel
I hope you're right; it's sounded pretty definite from JonNYC and some of the other semi-insiders in the 772 refurb thread.

Given the option of 9-across (or 8-across real Premium Y) I am never going to pay for 10-across, even if the choice is less legroom on 9-across or more on 10.
honestly even at 10 across you still have the same seat width as 767/757/737 and 747 of other carriers. 787 will also be in 3-3-3 which is similar seat width to a 3-4-3 777 (17.1 inches).

it's not ideal but its not like i can stop flying. Other oneworld carriers are sometimes just not as convenient as AA.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

honestly even at 10 across you still have the same seat width as 767/757/737 and 747 of other carriers. 787 will also be in 3-3-3 which is similar seat width to a 3-4-3 777 (17.1 inches).
I can't speak for anyone else, but I preferentially fly 777 and Airbus over the 747 or even more so, narrow-bodies for long haul. On the 767, 2-3-2 makes for a much more pleasant experience despite with the narrow seats, although I'd rather fly the 777 given the choice.

Last edited by nkedel; Jul 6, 2014 at 12:00 am
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:39 am

Does the 77W has power ports in exit rows 16 + 31? Where are they located? Also does anyone have photos of row 31 (J/L side)?

thanks
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by john205
Does the 77W has power ports in exit rows 16 + 31? Where are they located? Also does anyone have photos of row 31 (J/L side)?

thanks
All seats have AC power ports. In MCE, they're below your seat, in Y-, they're in the seat ahead of you. In th case of exit row/bulkhead seats in Y-, I'm not sure, as I've never had to endure the torture of Y-, but I imaginethese too are below your seat.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by john205

thanks
I've sat in 31L and there was a power port under the seat.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:00 pm

Having just flown to/from HKG in 31J and 16C respectively, I'd say the only advantage 31 has over 16 is that it's a pair of seats, and therefore potentially desirable for a couple. Otherwise, legroom is equivalent, and the seat is noticeably wider up front.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
We are currently in seats 33BC, hoping that the leg room for 33C (missing seat in front to to exit row) is like 31B on the 772 and no one selects 33A!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Is row 19 worth it?

I'm traveling on a red-eye with my (old-ish) parents and have access to any MCE seat on the 77W. I have selected row 19 so 2/3 of us have aisle access. I'm curious, what makes this row so special? Is it that there are no seats on either side of the aisle? In addition to being four-star MCE seats (insofar as AA.com's MCE pricing scheme is concerned), row 19 is also designated as "Reserved for elite and full fare customers."
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by 54austin
I'm traveling on a red-eye with my (old-ish) parents and have access to any MCE seat on the 77W. I have selected row 19 so 2/3 of us have aisle access. I'm curious, what makes this row so special? Is it that there are no seats on either side of the aisle? In addition to being four-star MCE seats (insofar as AA.com's MCE pricing scheme is concerned), row 19 is also designated as "Reserved for elite and full fare customers."
Row 19 is a 3-3-3 configuration. There's a hard wall behind this row, so one to tap on the IFE screen or schluffle around behind you. That said, there can be babies on the other side of the bulkhead due to the possibility of using the bassinet.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
Row 19 is a 3-3-3 configuration. There's a hard wall behind this row, so no one to tap on the IFE screen or schluffle around behind you. That said, there can be babies on the other side of the bulkhead due to the possibility of using the bassinet.
Fixed. Unless you've encounter someone whose job is to lie behind row 19 and tap the backs of the seats, so that pax in that row aren't deprived of the Y experience?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Fixed. Unless you've encounter someone whose job is to lie behind row 19 and tap the backs of the seats, so that pax in that row aren't deprived of the Y experience?
Thanks!! Yes, I meant no one!! Typing on my phone...lol

Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Flying DFW>HKG>DFW in December. I'm hoping my SWU's clear, but if not I'm trying to figure out the best MCE seats. From what I've read row 16 seems to be good, but 18 seems ok since there is no one behind.

I'm currently in 18c both ways, but 16D is open on the way there, and 16C or D are open on the way back. Am I better offer in 16?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.