Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Red MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Silver MasterCard® (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Business MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® MileUp℠ card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select® Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® Blue MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:59 am

Baggage with Citi platinum

Quick question about my baggage allowances with this card.

I will be flying to Italy with my wife soon on an award ticket. I have the Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature card. I think this card gives me one free checked bag, but an international itinerary also gives me a free bag, correct? So, do I get 2 free bags to check each or is it still just 1 free bag?

This is my first time flying with the card, do I need to inform the agents that I have the card, or does the system know that I have it (for zone 1 boarding, etc)?

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
You still only get one free checked bag each. The system should know you have the card, and will give you zone 1 and a checked bag. At least it does for me.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Plat; National Car Exec
Free bag is for domestic destinations only, so I'd say it is one total.

"Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers may check one bag free of charge to domestic destinations on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by American Eagle Airlines, Inc."

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...m-information/
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:53 am

Thanks for the replies
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by gwar69
You still only get one free checked bag each. The system should know you have the card, and will give you zone 1 and a checked bag. At least it does for me.
NB: What gwar69 said: you'll get one free bag each. Assuming you're both on the same reservation. So you will be able to check in two bags free.

(Oh wait...forgot about the whole domestic thing! But for future reference!)
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
It's my understanding that you get one free checked bag for international flights in non full-fare economy, 2 for full-fare/premium econ, and 3 for F/J.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:45 pm

Just want to report back my experience:

Didn't get free bags for my parents automatically on check-in machine. Showed my Citi AA card and the counter agent kindly waived the bag fees.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 5:16 pm

I just flew on a company paid work trip from DFW to ATL... I've had the AA citi card for 3 years and when prompted still had to pay for baggage both ways even when I used my AA card... i used the self check In kiosk and not an agent. I still got priority group one boarding

Think I should give citi AA customer service a call ?

I recently had a company work trip, they booked the flight. FF # was linked to the reservation. I used the self check-in thinking I would get my bag checked for free but said I had to pay $25. I still got Group 1 boarding privledges.

I called citi customer service and the rep told me the flight had to be booked with your AA Citi card to get the bag for free. I told her the T&C didn't state that.

Should I escalate this or what has anybody see or heard regarding tickets not booked under the citi card??

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 17, 2013 at 10:06 pm Reason: merge cross-posted posts
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Surely your company will reimburse the $25? I would just do that and skip the hassle...
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Bauer600
I recently had a company work trip, they booked the flight. FF # was linked to the reservation. I used the self check-in thinking I would get my bag checked for free but said I had to pay $25. I still got Group 1 boarding privledges.

I called citi customer service and the rep told me the flight had to be booked with your AA Citi card to get the bag for free. I told her the T&C didn't state that.

Should I escalate this or what has anybody see or heard regarding tickets not booked under the citi card??
I always thought the flight must be paid for with the credit card, but as you said the T&Cs don't state that. I just now went to the Citibank website and looked them up.

What to do? I have had an Citibank/Aadvantage credit card for 20+ years and have been always happy with their customer service. They have resolved every issue to my satisfaction, without exception.

I would call Citibank and ask for clarification. If they tell you that the free checked bag comes only when the credit card is used to pay for the flight, then politely ask where that is stated in the T&Cs. If they tell you the charge was in error, then ask for a refund and ask Citibank to battle it out with AA for you.

Either way, you'll be able to make a better informed decision next time. If you get stuck with the charge, I'd ask for reimbursement from the employer.

I just flew on a company paid work trip from DFW to ATL... I've had the AA citi card for 3 years and when prompted still had to pay for baggage both ways even when I used my AA card... i used the self check In kiosk and not an agent. I still got priority group one boarding

Think I should give citi AA customer service a call ?
I answered you in the thread you started with the very same question.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 17, 2013 at 10:06 pm Reason: merge replies to cross-posted posts
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:04 pm

It was always my understanding that you get the first bag free for yourself and up to three companions as long as you book the tickets for all travelers on your card.

But as I look at the fine print on the card web page, you're right that it's not in there. I wonder if it's in the even finer print you get in the mail...

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...toggle-journey

† First checked bag free
For benefit to apply, the Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled. Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® primary cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by American Eagle Airlines, Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., or Chautauqua Airlines, Inc. These benefits will not be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with an AA flight number but operated by another airline. For the Citi® / AAdvantage® card, up to four customers traveling with the eligible primary cardmember will also get their first checked bag free of charge if they are listed in the same reservation. Waiver does not apply to overweight or oversized bags. This benefit cannot be combined with any existing AAdvantage® elite program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges. Please see aa.com for baggage weight and size restrictions. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:38 am

Indeed the benefits of the Citi AA card are linked to the primary cardholder's FFN. No need to pay with the card to get any of the benefits. OP - The Citi agent was wrong. Call back and escalate to a supervisor if necessary. Also, did you try to check in with an agent if the kiosk asked you to pay?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
If you book a trip with miles.......

have a Citi Aadvantage card......

no baggage fee.

So what's the difference if a company buys the tickets?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:13 pm

I will get reimbursed from my employer. I just wanted to know for next time. If I don't have to pay $25 than I'd rather not have to. I did not go to an agent, only used the self check in kiosk. I even paid with my AA citi card on the return trip back and was still charged. Seems we have mixed feelings on what Citi states what their T&C's are
Old Aug 18, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I will get reimbursed from my employer. I just wanted to know for next time. If I don't have to pay $25 than I'd rather not have to. I did not go to an agent, only used the self check in kiosk. I even paid with my AA citi card on the return trip back and was still charged. Seems we have mixed feelings on what Citi states what their T&C's are
Call Citibank and put an end to all the speculation. Then you'll know one way or the other next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.