Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Red MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Silver MasterCard® (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Business MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® MileUp℠ card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select® Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® Blue MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Your FF account is tagged with "PCC" meaning Premium Credit Card.

As long as you've had the card for a month and your AAdvantage number is on the reservation you'll get the free bag. If it's not on the reservation, ask them to add it when you check in and you should get Group 1 and the free bag.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:09 pm

AA Partners Free Baggage Check with CITI AA Card

I'm wondering if I book an award through American Airlines from Honolulu to Maui, will I get the free baggage check for myself and my girlfriend by using the CITI AA card to pay the taxes even though the flight is actually on Hawaii Airlines.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

No, you won't. And you do not need to use the card to get a free checked bag on AA flights.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

No, you won't. And you do not need to use the card to get a free checked bag on AA flights.
How would I get free baggage without the card if I have no status on the airline
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
Originally Posted by guv1976

How would I get free baggage without the card if I have no status on the airline
You do have to have the card; you don't have to use the card to get the free checked bag. You can purchase your cash or award ticket on AA with cash, check, or a different credit card; you'll still get the free checked bag as long as you hold a qualifying Citi/AA credit card that is associated with your AAdvantage number, and that AAdvantage number appears in your AA reservation record.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by gradboozer

As long as you've had the card for a month and your AAdvantage number is on the reservation you'll get the free bag. If it's not on the reservation, ask them to add it when you check in and you should get Group 1 and the free bag.
Thank you
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold

Unfortunately per the standard T&C reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel. Sp unless others have had luck with adding at checkin it won't work.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:38 pm

I'm in the same position as the OP and I'm flying next week, so this is good news to me. Regarding the baggage fee waiver, does it matter if I check in at the desk or at a kiosk?

Chris.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:42 pm

Can you actually see this somewhere?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nall
Can you actually see this somewhere?
no, I don't think so.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hey guys,
My mom was just charged for 3 checked bags (her and 2 family members) despite being a card holder. The agent said that you have to book the flight using the AA card in order to get the free bags. However, reading the fine print here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...toggle-journey it seems that you do not have to use the card in order to get the free bag checks as long as your AA number is on the reservation.

My mom does own that card and she is also an AAdvantage member. What can she do to get reimbursed? Write AA? Call Citi? I know that I was always able to get free checked bags despite not using my card to book the flight, so I'd like to help her. Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:51 am

doss1--
Some basic questions:
1) Is your Mom the primary cardholder on the account?
2) How long has your Mom had the card?
3) Is the Citi card correctly linked to her AAdvantage number?
4) Does she have the right Citi card that gives her the AA benefits (i.e. not Citi gold card)?

You're absolutely right that she doesn't need to pay for the ticket with the Citi card to get the benefits.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ebuck
doss1--
Some basic questions:
4) Does she have the right Citi card that gives her the AA benefits (i.e. not Citi gold card)?

You're absolutely right that she doesn't need to pay for the ticket with the Citi card to get the benefits.
Additional questions
5. Were all of the people on the same PNR?
6. Was the AA number linked to the reservation at least 7 days before the flight?

*** IMHO, #1 is very important to know. My daughter has the card with her name on it, but she is not the primary. Per T&C's, she is not eligible; but some AA people will not charge her if she shows the card.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ebuck
doss1--
Some basic questions:

I don't know all the answers, but I do know:

1.) Yes
2.) I think at least 5 months, probably longer.
3.) I don't know, but she did get 50k miles after a minimum spend on that card, so that should be the same AAvantage number
4.) Yes, same one I got, too
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:24 am

I would contact both Citi and AA to find out what happened--Citi to make sure her AAdvantage number is correctly tied to her Citi account (and to protest the charge) and AA to also determine why her AAdvantage account isn't tagged properly. Is this the first time she's traveled since getting the card? Did she have Group 1 on her boarding pass? (Or maybe I should have asked this first: Did she have her AAdvantage number on the reservation?)

Last edited by ebuck; Mar 14, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.