Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Red MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Silver MasterCard® (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Business MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® MileUp℠ card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select® Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® Blue MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Couple of clarifying points.

1. How many people traveling with you? Remember it is the first bag for up to four people in a single reservation, not up to four checked bags per reservation.

2. Something I found in the small print:

That may be something AA could clarify, you know, what the heck does "select" destinations mean.

Food for thought.
I tried to find that out (which destinations aren't included in the "select destinations" list) when the new benefits were announced but got a canned response from Citi and AA. Maybe by now they've figured out their intent and can clarify.

Unfortunately I can imagine exclusions being set up for certain popular destinations like HI
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:00 am

Three passengers on the same pnr. DEN/DFW/TPA
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
Three passengers on the same pnr. DEN/DFW/TPA
In your card terms and conditions document, does it mention in there that the American Express card includes free baggage with AA

If so, then should be easy to contact Citibank and get it reversed. Have you called Citibank and asked for clarification of what benefits the card has?

Looking at the citi.com website, it does not indicate that the american express card that is currently offered has a free baggage allowance on AA, but then I cannot see an American Express card called "select" only "Citi® / AAdvantage® American Express® card"
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:06 am

Do I still get CITI AAdvantage perks?

I booked an AA flight using BAEC avios points. I have a CITI AAdvantage card and wanted to know if I still get a free checked bag and priority access. Has anyone ever had past experience with this?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:17 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
This [B]exact/B] question has already been asked and answered

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...servation.html

(Search term {"Avios"})

So no need to start a new thread on the same topic.

And it seems that it may work.

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by pranay
I booked an AA flight using BAEC avios points. I have a CITI AAdvantage card and wanted to know if I still get a free checked bag and priority access. Has anyone ever had past experience with this?
You will need to change the frequent flyer number in the reservation from the BAEC account (that paid for it) to your AAdvantage account (which get the benefits). You should be able to make this switch online, but if not, it may require a call to AAdvantage customer service.

You do not need to use the card to get the benefits. The benefits are tied to the AAdvantage number of the primary cardholder.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:35 am

Thanks for the thread link and the info.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I just did this a few days ago, and it worked fine, giving me priority aaccess and first free bag for all members of the reservation. You can switch the frequent flyer # without a call by using the BA confirmation number to look up the reservation on the finnair site.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:12 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by pranay

This thread has now been merged into the existing thread provided by brp. Please remember to search before posting as per the FT Guidelines & Rules.

Thanks for your help.

/Moderator
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:01 pm

The most recent response from AA is that the Citi Advantage American Express does NOT offer the benefit of free checked bags despite the marketing materials published online and mailed to customers by Citibank.

I have contacted Citibank now. We shall see if they can figure this one out!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: A few
To defend the prior poster I for one can say that search term "Avios" brings up a billion threads. Until FT sorts out it's abysmal search function I generally refrain from critique of not using it.

Anyway back to the topic in hand my wife and kids used this benefit this morning but it was far from smooth. The booking was made using Avios from our household account. It had all of their BA numbers on it. I used the Finn-Air website trick to over-ride my wife's FF number with her Aadvantage number. It was accessible from aa.com. I was not able to check in online but have found that whenever I used Finn-Air to change the FF number that happens.

At the airport we used the machine check in and it wanted money from us for two bags. So I went over to the counter. This being AA and Citi IT, I had expected problems, so was "armed" with my wife's card (yes she is the primary) and a printout of the terms & conditions. The agent asked if we had paid for the ticket with the card. I said no, but the t&c's do not require that the card pays for the ticket. I handed over the T&C but she said there was no need and after playing around on her computer for a while we were done. She did say that she saw the card on the account, but she clearly had to over-ride something.

I fully expect my wife to have similar problems on the way back. Anyone less prepared this am would have been fleeced for $50 by AA and at best would have to fight with Citi to void the charge.
steerage_class likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
To defend the prior poster I for one can say that search term "Avios" brings up a billion threads. Until FT sorts out it's abysmal search function I generally refrain from critique of not using it.

Anyway back to the topic in hand my wife and kids used this benefit this morning but it was far from smooth. The booking was made using Avios from our household account. It had all of their BA numbers on it. I used the Finn-Air website trick to over-ride my wife's FF number with her Aadvantage number. It was accessible from aa.com. I was not able to check in online but have found that whenever I used Finn-Air to change the FF number that happens.

At the airport we used the machine check in and it wanted money from us for two bags. So I went over to the counter. This being AA and Citi IT, I had expected problems, so was "armed" with my wife's card (yes she is the primary) and a printout of the terms & conditions. The agent asked if we had paid for the ticket with the card. I said no, but the t&c's do not require that the card pays for the ticket. I handed over the T&C but she said there was no need and after playing around on her computer for a while we were done. She did say that she saw the card on the account, but she clearly had to over-ride something.

I fully expect my wife to have similar problems on the way back. Anyone less prepared this am would have been fleeced for $50 by AA and at best would have to fight with Citi to void the charge.
Without beating on posters or the FT search function too much, I'd also note that entering "Avios checked bag" as a search term in "Search This Forum" on the AA airline forum page will bring up five measly results, including this thread, a thread that discusses another and perhaps better way to add your AA number to a reservation booked with Avios through ba.com without having to call AA, and the thread regarding the general Citi AA card benefits. I don't think it's too onerous to look through five threads to determine whether a new thread is necessary.

I agree that search on FT "may" be difficult at times, but a little time and encouragement about using this function will improve search results. Many more times, useful information is uncovered, including information that may be helpful to a poster that is not directly related to the searched topic (such as your wise suggestion that a traveler be armed with the T&Cs for the Citi benefit, just in case an issue arises at check in).
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I agree that search on FT "may" be difficult at times, but a little time and encouragement about using this function will improve search results. Many more times, useful information is uncovered, including information that may be helpful to a poster that is not directly related to the searched topic (such as your wise suggestion that a traveler be armed with the T&Cs for the Citi benefit, just in case an issue arises at check in).
I long gave up on using FT search and just use google now. Maybe if you spend enough time learning it's ins and outs you'll get somewhere, but I have had way too many frustrations. Try for example searching trip reports for 747 F class. See what crap you get back.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
I long gave up on using FT search and just use google now. Maybe if you spend enough time learning it's ins and outs you'll get somewhere, but I have had way too many frustrations. Try for example searching trip reports for 747 F class. See what crap you get back.
+1
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I got more junk when I did an FT-wide forum search than when I did a "Trip Reports" forum search. Without taking this thread off topic completely, I agree there is no question that search could be better and that the "Help" for search, including suggestions to look within subforums and then search posts within the threads identified, could provide more guidance to newbies (and veteran FTers as well).

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic. . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.