Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Red MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Silver MasterCard® (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Business MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® MileUp℠ card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select® Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® Blue MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Originally Posted by LWYRUP
If you don't want to call in, you can also change your FF# online on Finnair's website. When you click that link, you should see a "Book Now" splash screen. Click the "My Booking" tab (second from left, between "Book" and "Check-In") on that splash screen; from there, you can look up your Avios booking using your last name and BA-issued confirmation number, and then edit your FFP/FF#.
Thanks for the tip - just looked at a reservation and it's indeed very easy to change.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by LWYRUP
If you don't want to call in, you can also change your FF# online on Finnair's website. When you click that link, you should see a "Book Now" splash screen. Click the "My Booking" tab (second from left, between "Book" and "Check-In") on that splash screen; from there, you can look up your Avios booking using your last name and BA-issued confirmation number, and then edit your FFP/FF#.
Thank you so much for the tip.

Thanks everybody else for your input.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Be prepared for it not to work. I used BA Avios for a flight to MIA in July and changed my BA FF# to my AA # over the phone. AA still charged me for my bag each way. I disputed the charge with Citi, but it was denied. Said the AA# had to be in the reservation at the time of ticketing. I do think that's in the terms/conditions.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Do I get a free checked bag on AA metal booked with Avios (Citi AA cardholder)

I think you also have to have the card for more than 7 days when you make the reservation.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Trooper508
Be prepared for it not to work. I used BA Avios for a flight to MIA in July and changed my BA FF# to my AA # over the phone. AA still charged me for my bag each way. I disputed the charge with Citi, but it was denied. Said the AA# had to be in the reservation at the time of ticketing. I do think that's in the terms/conditions.
FWIW, my copy of the T&C's received in the mail states it as:

First checked bag free

For benefit to apply, at the time of booking, Citi® / AAdvantage® account must have been open at least 7 days and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number.
In the main forum thread on the card benefits, AA rep stated that "Yes, this benefit applies to award tickets booked by the primary cardmember as long as the reservation includes the primary cardmember’s AAdvantage account number." http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18319943-post23.html

Nothing says the number has to be in there at ticketing, just has to be in the reservation (and be ticketed after the effective date of the new benefit). I have to say if Citi goes down that path with BA, etc bookings, I'll probably change my plans to hang onto the card.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by rdchen
Two questions:

• where did you get the printout of the T&Cs?
  • I tried to change the ffp# using finnair MMB, however, it appears the ffp section is blocked, do I have to have finnair account in order to modify the ffp#?

TIA.
Can't quite recall where I got the T&C from but I think by googling Citi's website

You do not need a FinnAir account, just go to finnair.com and lookup the itinerary there and it lets you change to aa
Old Oct 17, 2012, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by KoolFatKat
Thank you so much for the tip.

Thanks everybody else for your input.
When I tried this, the drop-down menu next to British Airways was grayed-out and I couldn't see a way to change it.

Am I missing something, or has this loop-hole been closed?

Screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/UbVVIbX7 (the red bars cover my name and #)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta GM
Avios reward on AA - Checked Bag with Citi?

I just booked an AA reward ticket using Avios points flying from YUL to LGA. I have no status on AA, but I do have a Citi AA Card which is supposed to give me a bag AA flights. I can't get my AA FF # to link with the reservation because I booked through BA - does anyone have any advice if I will get a free checked bag or if it is possible to do so?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
show your card at check in....some have said you get the free bag...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:00 am

Thanks so much
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:26 am

If your AA FF# is in the reservation, you'll get the free checked bag.

You actually can get your AA FF# in, even if you used Avios to book. A nifty trick is that the Finnar website should allow you to change your FF# from your BA one to your AA one.

Check out this thread for next time.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...points-aa.html
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
You can also call BA and AA have have them add your AA FF# on the account. I also add the reservation to my AA account and the airport people always think that I am an EXP and my boarding passes print as an EXP.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:55 am

Great thanks so much everyone - I used the Finnair trick to add my AA # and lets hope it works!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
nice Finair trick - didn't know abt that!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
If your AA FF# is in the reservation, you'll get the free checked bag.
I am wondering if, even though lacking the AA FF# in the reservation, you could avoid the checked bag fee by showing your AA elite card at the checkin?

Of course this would still not you select elite seats in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.