Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Red MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Silver MasterCard® (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Business MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® MileUp℠ card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select® Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® Blue MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 12, 2012, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

Delta's credit card allows 1 free checked bag on their flights. Does the Citi AAdvantage card have such allowance on AA flights?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
almost 150 views and no one answers. thought I'd at least help you out.

the answer is: no.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:58 pm

I second the no. It seems like the sign up bonus and MM miles were the key reasons to have this card. Now my bonus is in the rear view mirror, the lifetime mile policies have changed. I now have moved on to other cards... and as a result have switched my flying to other airlines... A couple of lounge passes and free baggage (onepass) make a difference for both the credit card and airline spending.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Relocated to AAdvantage forum because question pertains to a benefit which would be administered by AA if it existed.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:58 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
take a long trip for your summer vacation, 6/16 or later.....get a 1 pt/mi fare.....complete a plt challenge, get 2 &1/2 yrs of free bags, plus more rdms....can pay off if you take 2 bags on your trips....

make sure the rules haven't changed....
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
The citi AMEX card does not. However, the citi executive mastercard ($450/year) does give you 1 free domestic bag.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/citiexec...=citiexecutive

Although, if you don't care about the lounge access, doing a gold or platinum challenge is a better deal.
Old May 22, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, AA 2MM Platinum
Citi VISA card, checked baggage cost

Can someone tell me if one would pay for a second bag when flying coach, ORD-LHR? All passengers are allowed one free checked bag but as a Citi Bank AA VISA holder, would the next bag ship free?
Old May 22, 2012, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
According to the T/Cs of the Citi card:

Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection® carrier to select domestic destinations.
so presumably the answer is no, it won't count toward checked bag fees on int'l flights.
Old May 22, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, AA 2MM Platinum
Super feedback, thank you!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Used Citi AA card, but No Free Bag

(Please let me know if I am in the wrong forum- I'm new.)
I signed up for the Citi/AAdvantage card while buying a flight on American. They generated a number for me to buy the ticket, but when I went to fly, they did not give me and my traveling partner the free bag check. I disputed the charge with Citi, but they denied my claim. It's one of the perks of the card, but they denied it on my first use. What should I do next? Yes, pay it, but why keep the card? Can I get the money refunded?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:10 pm

Which AA card were you approved for? Not all of them have a free checked bag as on of the benefits. Here's a listing of the AA cards that Citi has.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:57 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Per the Citi website:

First checked bag free
For benefit to apply, at the time of booking, Citi® / AAdvantage® account must have been open at least 7 days and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number.

Since you signed up for the card while buying the flight, your account hadn't been open for 7 days.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 4:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Welcome to FlyerTalk,

Your post has been moved to the American Airlines AAdvantage forum, and the title has been edited to be more specific.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
Per the Citi website:

First checked bag free
For benefit to apply, at the time of booking, Citi® / AAdvantage® account must have been open at least 7 days and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number.

Since you signed up for the card while buying the flight, your account hadn't been open for 7 days.
This looks like the winner. A bit of a silly rule though, as it seems to take away a eason to sign up for the card while booking a flight.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Quick Question. Do you have to pay for the ticket with the card to get the free bag benefit? And how does it exactly work at the airport? Do you just show the card to the agent (what about the kiosk)?

Originally Posted by will2288
This looks like the winner. A bit of a silly rule though, as it seems to take away a eason to sign up for the card while booking a flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.