Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi / AAdvantage Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator Red MasterCard (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator Silver MasterCard (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator Business MasterCard (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi / AAdvantage MileUp℠ card
  • Citi / AAdvantage Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Select Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator Blue MasterCard (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator MasterCard (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
You have to book the ticket with the new card to get the $100.00 back, the good thing is they give you 30k miles, even if you have a AA card...as for the free bags, not a problem here got a Gold card a few years ago.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by will2288
A bit of a silly rule though, as it seems to take away a eason to sign up for the card while booking a flight.
I imagine it just reflects the practicalities of the lag involved in their systems passing information over to the AA system to update the AAdvantage record.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (Lifetime Gold), AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
How far in advance did you open the card? If it was more than 7 days before your flight, I would think that you could get a refund by submitting a request to Citibank customer service.

As someone else pointed out, your AAdvantage number had probably not yet been linked to the card by the time of your check-in. It may also be worth calling Citi be sure that it has been properly linked to your existing number and they did not create a new number for you. IIRC, this has been reported in the past.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by ORDMD80
How far in advance did you open the card? If it was more than 7 days before your flight, I would think that you could get a refund by submitting a request to Citibank customer service.

As someone else pointed out, your AAdvantage number had probably not yet been linked to the card by the time of your check-in. It may also be worth calling Citi be sure that it has been properly linked to your existing number and they did not create a new number for you. IIRC, this has been reported in the past.
But according to the above post, the card has to be open for 7 days at time of booking, not check-in.

Last edited by will2288; Jun 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (Lifetime Gold), AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by will2288
But according to the above post, the card has to be open for 7 days at time of ooking, not check-in.
Oops.. you're absolutely right.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
In our family's recent experience, it was not even necessary to show the Citi Aadvantage card at the airport to get the free bag at check-in. It is automatic after the card has been 'owned' for over 7 days.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
In our family's recent experience, it was not even necessary to show the Citi Aadvantage card at the airport to get the free bag at check-in. It is automatic after the card has been 'owned' for over 7 days.
I have a question about this. Is there any indicator that you're going to get the free checked bag and priority seating prior to arriving at the airport? I don't see anything on my online reservation even though my Citi AA Platinum card is over several years old. I booked the flight 2 weeks ago.

Will they just know when you approach the ticket counter?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Here is the update, and thanks for moving my thread to the proper forum:
My CitiAAdvantage statement came, and the charges I had disputed were back on my statement. From that, I took it to be that my dispute was denied.
However, in today's mail I received a letter that the charges had been credited as the dispute was resolved in my favor. The charges were incurred on the return portion of my trip. Outbound, I was not charged. I was told at LGA to take it up with Citibank, not AA, so I did, and it slowly but finally worked out in my favor. Or so I think. I have yet to see the credit on a statement, and wonder why the charges were returned to my statement at about the same time they were sending the letter out.
Thanks for the advice.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrewm84
I have a question about this. Is there any indicator that you're going to get the free checked bag and priority seating prior to arriving at the airport? I don't see anything on my online reservation even though my Citi AA Platinum card is over several years old. I booked the flight 2 weeks ago.

Will they just know when you approach the ticket counter?
There is no way of knowing ahead of time on www.aa.com; I believe there might be a remark on the PNR and if so, a reservation person who knows what to look for (ha!) could help you.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Plat, AA Plat, SWA, Avis Pref., Hertz GLD
Citi free checked bag/priority boarding through BA Avios award reservation?

I have two tickets on AA that I redeemed via BA Avios points a few months back. I also have the Citi Platinum AA card with the free checked bag/priority boarding benefits.

Is there a way for me to link the card's benefits to the award reservation (it's already ticketed)? What options do I have?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by index411
I have two tickets on AA that I redeemed via BA Avios points a few months back. I also have the Citi Platinum AA card with the free checked bag/priority boarding benefits.

Is there a way for me to link the card's benefits to the award reservation (it's already ticketed)? What options do I have?
How does this normally work? Don't you just show them the card?
I don't think there is a requirement to use the card for the ticket purchase.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
I think if u just associate your AA Advantage number into the reservation you are all set.

No need for the BA number to be there - since u wont earn points anyways.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:13 pm

should be tied to your AA #
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Plat, AA Plat, SWA, Avis Pref., Hertz GLD
so i can call AA and switch the BA number to my AA number and get the Citi benefits?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:54 pm

Caution: [Citi Select AMEX card] first checked bag NOT free!

Despite the advertising, the flyer I was mailed, etc. The AA Citi select American express card does not allow for free bags at check in. Had to pay $75 for 3 bags despite following all the rules, card linked to Advantage #, etc.

Can't seem to get anyone to answer why this is. Email to AA was replied with a form response.

Any ideas who to contact?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.