Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Red MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Silver MasterCard® (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Business MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® MileUp℠ card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select® Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® Blue MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
THanks, all. It turns out she DID NOT put her AA# on the reservation. OH well, lesson learned!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by doss1
THanks, all. It turns out she DID NOT put her AA# on the reservation. OH well, lesson learned!
Yes, that is it. The T&C's indicate the number has to be on the res at least 7 days prior to the reservation. Of course, I don't understand why that much time is needed, and it hurts last minute ticket purchasers (whom tend to spend more for tickets). Of course, frequent travelers on AA don't need this credit card benefit
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Similar question - for award tickets issued for others from an FF account that has one bag free due to a CC, is there a bag fee waiver?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Similar question - for award tickets issued for others from an FF account that has one bag free due to a CC, is there a bag fee waiver?
Like as been said before, it is similar to elite benefits (at least here at AA; I know it is different at UA with award tickets issued for other people). It only matters who is traveling; who pays for the ticket is irrelevant.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA, QFF, AA, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Circle.
Question Wish the verbiage can be more specific

Hi,
I too have concerns about this. We just got the card about a month ago, added in the AA FF numbers but the electronic reservation does NOT indicate a free bag in the baggage allowance section (when you login online and look at your PNR details).

And, the online T&C verbiage is also ambiguous. If the verbiage was written "free checked bag regardless if purchased or award ticketed"... something to that effect, it would be a lot clearer. At the moment, the verbiage as it stands is subject to anyone's interpretation.

The problem is: If you decide to call Citi customer service, it's really a Citi credit card employee versus the American Airlines staff's. Whose words will win?

I just wish there is an American Airlines benefits department (or equivalent) that have trained/knowledgeable staff that can consistently deliver the correct message about the free checked baggage... Anyone who has that phone number, pls share it, we'll need to keep that handy just in case...

Originally Posted by jdubrox
It was always my understanding that you get the first bag free for yourself and up to three companions as long as you book the tickets for all travelers on your card.

But as I look at the fine print on the card web page, you're right that it's not in there. I wonder if it's in the even finer print you get in the mail...

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...toggle-journey

† First checked bag free
For benefit to apply, the Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled. Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® primary cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by American Eagle Airlines, Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., or Chautauqua Airlines, Inc. These benefits will not be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with an AA flight number but operated by another airline. For the Citi® / AAdvantage® card, up to four customers traveling with the eligible primary cardmember will also get their first checked bag free of charge if they are listed in the same reservation. Waiver does not apply to overweight or oversized bags. This benefit cannot be combined with any existing AAdvantage® elite program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges. Please see aa.com for baggage weight and size restrictions. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:20 am

You're right that neither the confirmation email nor the online reservation accurately indicates the free bag allowance for Citi AAdvantage credit card holders. You can probably call up the AAdvantage service desk, and they should be able to see if your AAdvantage number is tied correctly to your credit card perks; your AAdvantage account will be coded as having a premier credit card. As long as your AAdvantage account is properly coded, the FF number is all you need in the reservation to get the perks (so it doesn't matter if it's an award ticket or if you paid with a different card). One way to insure that you're getting your perks is that when you check in online and print your boarding pass, it will show Group 1. (I suppose one reason they don't show the free bag allowance on your confirmation or online reservation is that you could cancel the credit card prior to travel, and then you wouldn't be eligible for the free bag. But then, they could also just show the free bag allowance with the disclaimer that the account must be in good standing on the day of travel....)
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I agree. I wish AA would make the things more clear. It will benefit them as well as people will become more aware of these benefits. Hope the US practice of a small "DMS" sign is adopted at the new AA.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by denCSA
What happens is your credit card gets 'linked' to your AAdvantage number once youre approved with Citi. So anytime you make a booking at the top of your PNR right under your status (if you have status) it states 'premium CC holder' or something to that effect, I forget the exact wording. This even gets appended if you don't use the Citi card to purchase the ticket as it used to be appended to all my PNRs in Sabre when i used to to have the Citi CC regardless of what payment was used or where the booking was made.

In other words, the system should automatically pick up you are entitled as long as your AAdvantage number is on the reservation.
^ If the credit card is not linked to the AAdvantage number, the agent cannot waive the first checked bag charge, though they may still add Group 1 boarding if the card is presented. The primary cardholder must be the one traveling, and the benefit applies for up to 4 people on the same PNR.

You could have the card and only use it to buy a pack of gum once a month and still get the bag benefit. Too many agents are telling passengers that they have to buy their ticket with the card, either because they are too lazy to explain the correct policy or don't know it.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, that is it. The T&C's indicate the number has to be on the res at least 7 days prior to the reservation. Of course, I don't understand why that much time is needed, and it hurts last minute ticket purchasers (whom tend to spend more for tickets). Of course, frequent travelers on AA don't need this credit card benefit
This only means that the benefits won't kick in automatically, so self-service and curbside will still attempt to assess the first checked bag fee. An agent should be able to override the fee, provided of course, that the credit card is correctly linked to the AAdvantage number.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Checked Baggage Question for Gold / Citi Card Holders

I saw that AA changed their waived baggage fees for Gold members this month.

With the new policy, if I check 1 bag for free as a Gold member, how much do I pay for the second bag? And is that the same for AA Citi cardholders who check a second bag?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 6, 2014, 7:26 pm

Free checked bag when paid with someone else's Citi AA card?

Hi,

I will be flying from Detroit to Austin and want to check in 1 bag. My mother has a Citi/AAdvantage card for which she receives the first checked bag for free when she travels. Can I check in my bag for free if she pays for my ticket purchase with her Citi/AA credit card? She will not be traveling with me. I want to know whether these benefits are attached to the credit card or the AAdvantage number of the passenger.

Thanks.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

The benefit is associated with the AAdvantage number of someone who holds a qualifying Citi/AA credit card. It is not necessary to use the qualifying credit card to purchase the ticket (or pay the fees on an award ticket) in order to get the benefit. But the benefit is only extended to the cardholder and those traveling with him/her. So no, you will not get a free checked bag on your flight.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

The benefit is associated with the AAdvantage number of someone who holds a qualifying Citi/AA credit card. It is not necessary to use the qualifying credit card to purchase the ticket (or pay the fees on an award ticket) in order to get the benefit. But the benefit is only extended to the cardholder and those traveling with him/her. So no, you will not get a free checked bag on your flight.
Thank you for the quick and clear answer.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by nilmini12s
I will be flying from Detroit to Austin and want to check in 1 bag. My mother has a Citi/AAdvantage card for which she receives the first checked bag for free when she travels. Can I check in my bag for free if she pays for my ticket purchase with her Citi/AA credit card? She will not be traveling with me. I want to know whether these benefits are attached to the credit card or the AAdvantage number of the passenger.
As American Airlines and AAdvantage are still operating as distinct entities, this question is being moved over to the relevant thread in the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old May 8, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by guv1976

Welcome to FT!

I wonder if his Mom adds him as an AU on the credit card, would he than get free bags? just a curious question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.