Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Red MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Silver MasterCard® (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Business MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® MileUp℠ card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select® Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® Blue MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star
My mother, little brother and father were charged for their checked bag today @ MIA. My mother and father both have their own AA Platinum Citi card (as in they are the primary acct holders for each of their card). Mom has the AA Plat visa, dad has the MC Worldelite (the new one that just started to roll out). Their boarding pass has their AA# on it, and they've both received miles from spending to their AA#, which they have had for over a year... However, they were charged for the bag and they were given G2 boarding. Cards are still active and not delinquent or anything.

They made the reservation in January and the AA#'s were entered at the time of booking.

Who can I call to get this sorted out for them? AA or Citi?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Can friend check a bag for free if I purchase her ticket using my AA Citi card?

Hey all,
I'm buying an AA ticket using my Citi AAdvantage credit card (with the free checked bag perk) for my g/f and she will be flying alone. Since she is not the primary cardholder AND I am not flying with her, she will NOT be able to check a bag for free. Is this correct?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Correct.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by doss1
Hey all,
I'm buying an AA ticket using my Citi AAdvantage credit card (with the free checked bag perk) for my g/f and she will be flying alone. Since she is not the primary cardholder AND I am not flying with her, she will NOT be able to check a bag for free. Is this correct?
The free bag benefit of the card are tied to the primary account holder's AAdvantage account. There is no requirement to use the card to buy the ticket.
The requirement to get the benefit is for the primary account holder to be traveling, and their Aadvantage number is supposed to be on the reservation at least 7 days in advance... although I do not know if this is enforced.
The free baggage allowance would only be extended to others if they are traveling on the same reservation as the primary cardholder.
That said, I know someone who is sometimes successful by simply showing the card to the people doing curbside checkin.......
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
OK, that's what I thought. Thanks for the info, everyone.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:32 am

Same thing just happened to me with my World Platinum when I checked in online. The boarding pass says I'm in Group 2. I called Citi, they called AA, and both said there was nothing they could do to get me in Group 1. They did suggest talking to my departure airport to try and get my checked bag free.

I didn't have the card when I booked the flight, but got it a week or two after and both the flight and my Citi card have had my frequent flier number on them since then.

Both said I had to pay with the card to get the benefit. I'm going to print out my T&C for the benefit and show them when I go check my bag. Anything else anyone suggest doing?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Citi AAdvantage Visa - baggage fee

Planning to book a domestic US ticket for my wife and 4 other people in her party - 3 adults and 2 kids total.

Paying for the tickets with AA paper vouchers and ticketing at the airport.

Not sure if the vouchers will cover everything or some portion might have to be paid by credit card.

Will my wife and 3 other companions be entitled to a free bag check?

Is this regardless of what method of payment is used? Say I book a ticket on miles for my wife, and she is a Citi AAdvantage visa card holder, then also does she get a free checked bag?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by raj_cl
Planning to book a domestic US ticket for my wife and 4 other people in her party - 3 adults and 2 kids total.

Paying for the tickets with AA paper vouchers and ticketing at the airport.

Not sure if the vouchers will cover everything or some portion might have to be paid by credit card.

Will my wife and 3 other companions be entitled to a free bag check?

Is this regardless of what method of payment is used? Say I book a ticket on miles for my wife, and she is a Citi AAdvantage visa card holder, then also does she get a free checked bag?
This has been answered a few times before. The benefit has NOTHING to do with how you pay for the tickets. It is about the primary account holder having his/her Aadvantage number on the PNR at least 7 days prior to travel, as documented in the terms. All travelers must be on the same PNR as the primary account holder. (However, some agents will let people on the same flight skip the bag fees....But, they are supposed to be on the same PNR) If the primary account holder's Aadvantage number is on the booking, the benefits (bags, priority access) are automatic.
For the latest information on the benefits and how to get them, I recommend looking at them on the Citi website, as that should be more up to date than answers given on FT.

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 28, 2014 at 4:45 am
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:10 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Recent query merged with existing thread on this topic. /Moderator
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by iAdam
My mother, little brother and father were charged for their checked bag today @ MIA. My mother and father both have their own AA Platinum Citi card (as in they are the primary acct holders for each of their card). Mom has the AA Plat visa, dad has the MC Worldelite (the new one that just started to roll out). Their boarding pass has their AA# on it, and they've both received miles from spending to their AA#, which they have had for over a year... However, they were charged for the bag and they were given G2 boarding. Cards are still active and not delinquent or anything.

They made the reservation in January and the AA#'s were entered at the time of booking.

Who can I call to get this sorted out for them? AA or Citi?
Citi

Did the agent who checked them in say why they couldn't get get the card benefits? Sometimes, for whatever reason, the PNR doesn't reflect the credit card status and the agent has to delete and re-add the AAdvantage number to get it to work.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Citi AAdvantage CC - free luggage international

I apologize if this has already been asked/answered.

With the citi AAdvantage cc we get 1 free check in luggage for a domestic flight. What is it for international?

On my last international flight home in June (from Paris), I had 2 suitcases to check. I had my cc ready to pay, but I was never asked for it and I wasn't about to question it ^

I was also given a 'special' security access line (I'm sure that it wasn't TSA precheck?) and preboarding.

Which of these is because of the the Citi AAdvantage, the TSA precheck, and/or just luck?

I'm going back to Paris in a few weeks and need to plan my shopping
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL PM
Everyone can check one bag to/from Europe.

The credit card gives you PriorityAAccess, not PreCheck. IMO, it shouldn't, but it does.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gate_pourri
I apologize if this has already been asked/answered.

With the citi AAdvantage cc we get 1 free check in luggage for a domestic flight. What is it for international?

On my last international flight home in June (from Paris), I had 2 suitcases to check. I had my cc ready to pay, but I was never asked for it and I wasn't about to question it ^

I was also given a 'special' security access line (I'm sure that it wasn't TSA precheck?) and preboarding.

Which of these is because of the the Citi AAdvantage, the TSA precheck, and/or just luck?

I'm going back to Paris in a few weeks and need to plan my shopping
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum, and merged into the current, active thread on this topic.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TXguy
Everyone can check one bag to/from Europe.

The credit card gives you PriorityAAccess, not PreCheck. IMO, it shouldn't, but it does.
Thx TXGuy. So, having 2 checked bags for free was just luck? Figured that might be the case, but wanted to confirm before my next AA int'l flight. PriorityAccess/pre-boarding was taken away domestically, but you're saying it is still there for intl flights?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by gate_pourri
Thx TXGuy. So, having 2 checked bags for free was just luck? Figured that might be the case, but wanted to confirm before my next AA int'l flight. PriorityAccess/pre-boarding was taken away domestically, but you're saying it is still there for intl flights?
It should give Group 1 boarding ("priority boarding") for AA metal flights, not PriorityAAccess, not pre-boarding, and not PreCheck. It gives one free bag, and that does not stack on top of anything else, so it is useless if you already get a bag free from other means.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.