Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Red MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Silver MasterCard® (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Business MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® MileUp℠ card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select® Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® Blue MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:20 pm

Hi, recently got Barclay AAdvantage aviator card. I booked a basic economy flight with British airways aviator points and was able to add AAdvantage Number to the British Airways Avios Booking using Royal Jordanian website (more than 7 days ago). However, on the American airlines reservation webpage, there is no mention about a free baggage, even though I see upgraded group 5 booking. Is this usual and do I get the 1st checked baggage free being the Barclay credit card holder?

Many Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sabya31
Hi, recently got Barclay AAdvantage aviator card. I booked a basic economy flight with British airways aviator points and was able to add AAdvantage Number to the British Airways Avios Booking using Royal Jordanian website (more than 7 days ago). However, on the American airlines reservation webpage, there is no mention about a free baggage, even though I see upgraded group 5 booking. Is this usual and do I get the 1st checked baggage free being the Barclay credit card holder?

Many Thanks.
Is this a domestic (U.S.) flight that you booked with your BA Avios?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Is this a domestic (U.S.) flight that you booked with your BA Avios?

Yeah that is right. Forgot to mention this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Yeah that is right. Forgot to mention this.
If your AAdvantage number sticks in your AA reservation record, then you should get a free checked bag at check-in.
mppaul271 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 5:29 pm

Okay, thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:38 pm

Okay, thanks!
I was approved for the Barclays card and already had a flight reservation in 8 days. The next day I signed into AA and it showed Group 5 but showed nothing about free luggage. Today I checked in and each of our first bags were free!
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:48 am

Checked bag to Mexico?

Hi, I have the Aviator Red MasterCard. Does the checked bag benefit apply to flights between the US and Mexico? It looks like the answer is no? So does this mean that if I have no status, I will definitely have to pay for a checked bag no matter what? Thank you!
Old Jun 3, 2023, 12:13 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by donotblink

Just checked, Mexico and Canada both have bag fees that are not waived by any credit cards, sorry.
So is the wiki wrong? It says Canada baggage fee is covered by the benefits.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 9:40 pm

I called AA, their answer was that the free domestic checked bag applies to the 50 US states only, so no Canada.

But when I booked YYZ-ORD, the email says 1st bag is free and 2nd bag is $40. I have no status other than AA credit cards.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by injust
I called AA, their answer was that the free domestic checked bag applies to the 50 US states only, so no Canada.

But when I booked YYZ-ORD, the email says 1st bag is free and 2nd bag is $40. I have no status other than AA credit cards.
I would not expect a phone agent to know the answer to this. They are just reading the rules, and the rules say "domestic". Unfortunately, in some instances domestic means just US, and in some cases it includes Canada and/or Mexico.

In general, phone agents are a terrible resource for interpreting rules. They are just reading the website, which you can do yourself. If the website is unclear, they are just going to go with their own interpretation (or guess). You can come here and ask.

But if you have a ticket receipt saying that you get a free checked bag then you get a free checked bag. That is true regardless of any policy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.