Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
If a paid upgrade is offered, will be like $700-$900, in that range, with a good likelihood of it being $745, again, if available, which I'd say the likelihood of same on that flight is quite low
Yeah, if the flight is at J6 more than 3 weeks out, it would seem a very unlikely situation to be offered a kiosk upgrade. I don't think they generally offer these for the last 1-3 seats or so on international, correct? Unless coach is looking like it'll be oversold I guess.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by dp4m
I think, domestically, the standard AA exchange rate is $50/500 miles or so (roughly)?
It's been a while since I checked, but that was still correct as of a few months ago. I think it capped out at about $500 and the formula was reliable for domestic and international travel.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've only been offered TATL kiosk upgrades in the $700 range in the past, and I didn't bite. So my number is lower than that...although I was never coming from an unusually bad seat, and usually a short-ish TATL flight (6-8 hour range, not 10+).

$400-500 range, I'd probably bite. I still value a TATL upgrade at 25,000 miles, having redeemed many of them on AA in the pre-copay days. So...that's somewhere in the $400-500 range. However, since I don't actually see this offered at kiosks, I must assume that most fliers value it at $700. (Or enough to sell the seats, anyway.)

Domestic, I value a midcon at about $100. I've bought both MCI-PDX and MCI-SEA in this range in the past few weeks, actually. I'd be highly unlikely to buy a narrowbody domestic upgrade much higher than this. Maybe go $150 for a full transcon.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
$507 to upgrade to J for LHR-DFW tomorrow...done!
Old May 27, 2017, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
$507 to upgrade to J for LHR-DFW tomorrow...done!
Thank you for the info
Surprised of the 507
Maybe the base rate is in GBP converted to USD ?
Old May 30, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by CGRA
Thank you for the info
Surprised of the 507
No, it was $507.20. I bought my ticket in USD not GBP.

As I have a US address, everything shows and bills in USD.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CGRA
Thank you for the info
Surprised of the 507
Or UK air passenger duty.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
£395.40 for LHR-JFK tomorrow, offered at online check-in. Quoted and billed in GBP
Old May 31, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by britenbsas
£395.40 for LHR-JFK tomorrow, offered at online check-in. Quoted and billed in GBP
I consider this a decent deal actually, especially since this is inclusive of the UK Duty fee.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I was also offered £395.40 for LHR-JFK back in March.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I consider this a decent deal actually, especially since this is inclusive of the UK Duty fee.
Absolutely - I jumped at it. Had a great flight with a superb crew as well
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:31 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Follow-up to my OP.
Outbound JFK-ZRH (as Jon predicted) NO upg offered.
I am returning on June 7; I checked in at a kiosk at 9:30 pm ZRH time on June 6, I was offered an upg for $500, which I took. ZRH-JFK has a longer flying time than the outbound...so I'm getting more "bang for my bucks"
PS: I paid a little under $500 RT in Y.

Last edited by nrr; Jun 6, 2017 at 3:27 pm
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Follow-up to my OP.
Outbound JFK-ZRH (as Jon predicted) NO upg offered.
I am returning on June 7; I checked in at a kiosk at 9:30 pm ZRH time on June 6, I was offered an upg for $500, which I took. ZRH-JFK has a longer flying time than the outbound...so I'm getting more "bang for my bucks"
PS: I paid a little under $500 RT in Y.
That's a reasonable offer. I consider anything less than or equal to the Y fare to be a reasonable offer.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
We received an upgrade offer at check-in of $500 from coach to business from DFW to AMS in May 2017. We took advantage of the offer.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
...I checked in at a kiosk at 9:30 pm ZRH time on June 6, I was offered an upg for $500
Originally Posted by FlyForFun
We received an upgrade offer at check-in of $500 from coach to business from DFW to AMS in May 2017. We took advantage of the offer.
Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.