Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FRA / Frankfurt AA & Admirals Club Members T-2 JL Sakura Lounge (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2013, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FRA / Frankfurt International Airport JL First Class and Sakura Lounges
American Airlines premium flyers and Admirals Club Members

Link to FRA airport information on aa.com.

Link to FRA airport web site.

Link to oneworld website Lounge Access and Lounge Finder tool

JL First and Sakura Business Class Lounges

LOCATION: Terminal 2, Hall D Level 3, between departure gates D4 and D5A. This lounge has restrictions for access; the Sakura Lounge is BEFORE security[/B]; you must process security to board, so give yourself time - and note, you can not process security more than two hours prior to scheduled departure. (The landside FRA Admirals Club closed 31 Mar 2011.) Please read Note.

HOURS: Please see here.

AMENITIES: Please see here. "Business lounge is quiet, offers all admitted tarmac views, Ethernet connections, separate smoking room, self-service bar and snacks, washrooms, as supergrandslam reports two showers (small, no toilet) and can get crowded."

NOTE:

Must present a boarding pass for same day departing travel on an AA or US marketed and operated flight* and one of the following:
  • First Class or Business Class ticket (on same flight)
  • oneworld Emerald or oneworld Sapphire card
  • Admirals Club membership
At this time, JL only allows ticketed JL First Class passengers into the First lounge (not Emeralds unless ticketed in F) and has limited hours. Additionally, Admirals Club members have access to Sakura Lounge as follows:

"Admirals Club member (annual paid or Citi Executive card) plus two guests or immediate family. Must present boarding pass and Admirals Club membership card for same day travel on AA or US marketed and operated flight*. Not valid for arriving guests."
Other oneworld lounges in FRA are airside / past security, (member nldogbert states this will require using the interterminal train, but one remains airside) as follows:

Cathay Pacific First and Business Class Lounge

Location: Terminal 2, Level 3 after the security checkpoint, opposite Gate E 7

Hours: Daily 06:00-14:00

Amenities:
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Food and drinks
  • Printing
  • TVs
  • Showers
Iberia Lounge

Location: Terminal 2, opposite to gate D 26/27, after security, in the
Schengen area (no passport control) (see zski1's post below)

Hours: Daily 06:00-20:15

Eligibility: oneworld partners (American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Japan Airlines, LAN Chile, Quantas, Royal Jordanian), Aer Lingus, Icelandair, TAP, SATA (sic)
See FRA/Frankfurt Admirals Club CLOSING March 31 2011 (consolidated) thread.

Updated 15 Aug 2016 - JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

FRA / Frankfurt AA & Admirals Club Members T-2 JL Sakura Lounge (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
I have the option of flying DFW-(AA F)-LHR-(BA J)-DXB or DFW-(AA F)-FRA-(EY J)-AUH. Has anybody done similar transits, and what would you chose, given both options? I frequently transit LHR and use the T5F lounge (which has been quite crowded lately), but would be curious to try the FRA-EY option.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:13 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
I have the option of flying DFW-(AA F)-LHR-(BA J)-DXB or DFW-(AA F)-FRA-(EY J)-AUH. Has anybody done similar transits, and what would you chose, given both options? I frequently transit LHR and use the T5F lounge (which has been quite crowded lately), but would be curious to try the FRA-EY option.
I would definitely avoid LHR as I find their "no-opt-out" nudeoscope policy to be unacceptable.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Spiff
I would definitely avoid LHR as I find their "no-opt-out" nudeoscope policy to be unacceptable.
I agree that LHR security is a PITA (worse than TSA if you ask me), but AFAIK the NoS machines have been removed from T5 security.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Not trying to be difficult here, but what does this have to do with FRA OW Lounges, or is the EY a codeshare? I'm not ever sure that you could get into the OW lounges since the connecting flight is not on a OW Marketed and Operated flight.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Regardless of whether EY is an AA or other oneworld airline codeshare, no oneworld lounge access on departure would be granted. If it were EY Business etc. then the pax would be admitted to whatever lounge EY use.

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Not trying to be difficult here, but what does this have to do with FRA OW Lounges, or is the EY a codeshare? I'm not ever sure that you could get into the OW lounges since the connecting flight is not on a OW Marketed and Operated flight.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I'd go through LHR and get the added EQM/EQP.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
So it looks the shower rooms indeed exist in FRA Sakura lounge at least physically.

Of course,the real question is whether shabby non-JAL OW emeralds are allowed to use the showers or not, that I will try to check it out next weekend.
Confirmed there are 2 shower rooms at FRA Sakura Lounge.
Non-JL elites are also allowed to use them.

The shower room is very small and no toilet in the room.

OT but I was declined to enter the AA arrival lounge at LHR as the passenger arrived at T-5 on BA metal.

Last edited by supergrandslam; Jul 1, 2013 at 11:25 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That's one of the strengths of FlyerTalk! Soon enough, someone reports back and we update what we know or think we know. (Another is we correct each other when we err, both correcting and receiving the correction with mutual respect.)

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
Confirmed there are 2 shower rooms at FRA Sakura Lounge.
Non-JL elites are also allowed to us them.

The shower rom is very small and no toilet in the room.

OT but I was declined to enter the AA arrival lounge at LHR as the passenger arrived at T-5 on BA metal.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
I'm departing FRA on 23 September on AA71 in J. In the past I've used Priority Pass (via AMEX PLT) for the Luxx Lounge (former AC) landside, both arriving and departing. I would like to check out the Sakura this time.

I usually access ACs with an AMEX PLT card. I know PP does not have Sakura FRA in its lineup. I've walked past the Sakura on other trips & it's airside I believe.

Reading the rules for access I believe I can access this club with my OW status OR traveling on a OW carrier in J. Question for a guy in my office who's there in 2 weeks: would his AMEX PLT + an outbound OW BP work, but with no OW status and flying economy on AA71? The info on this club provided by AA indicates he may:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ations.jsp#FRA

But the OW info on this lounge makes no mention of either an AC card or AMEX PLT as a way to gain entry.
http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Last edited by AATrout; Sep 19, 2013 at 9:09 am
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I can tell you that I was just in the Sakura lounge at FRA and it is pretty awful.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by LucWise
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I can tell you that I was just in the Sakura lounge at FRA and it is pretty awful.
Thanks. That may answer all of them in a practical sense for the guy in my office. As an aside, the Luxx is not very big but it has a nice staff and nice amenities, including the self-serve bar which has a bloody mary setup in the AM. The Luxx showers are open to anyone in the club, no F or J sides. I'll probably stop there first and based on your assessment and time permitting - check out the Sakura.

Last edited by AATrout; Sep 19, 2013 at 8:37 am
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by AATrout
I Question for a guy in my office who's there in 2 weeks: would his AMEX PLT + an outbound OW BP work, but with no OW status and flying economy on AA71? The info on this club provided by AA indicates he may:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ations.jsp#FRA
AMEX PLT holder isn't a AC member and also AMEX PLT card isn't a AC membership card.

I don't think your non-AC/OW elite allowed to enter the Sakura lounge at FRA if I understand the rule correctly.
Check the link you listed and select "AMEX PLT Member" in the pull-down menu(there is an another pull-down menu on the left) to see if the FRA lounge
is included in the list for Amex PLT.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by LucWise

Thanks. That may answer all of them in a practical sense for the guy in my office. As an aside, the Luxx is not very big but it has a nice staff and nice amenities, including the self-serve bar which has a bloody mary setup in the AM. The Luxx showers are open to anyone in the club, no F or J sides. I'll probably stop there first and based on your assessment and time permitting - check out the Sakura.
I arrived in J on #70 from DFW & got the bum's rush at Sakura in T2 along with a couple next to me in J on #70, e.g., NO ARRIVALS from the unpleasant female at the desk. So I went over to the T1 Luxx to clean up.

One thing - I don't know their guest rules but contrary to my earlier review of the Luxx lounge - it was packed. Large group (25+) from CA and US coming back from a tour in Russia. Nice folks, but the place was overwhelmed. Still, it has the same quality beverages and at that time (1100) had a decent cold cut/cheese/weisswurst/yogurt/ cereal/bread-croissant setup. Good beer and wine selection as always.

On the return, I skipped Terminal 1 and the Luxx and proceed to the Sakura in T2 where OW departures are for the last few years. As everyone knows, there are 3 check-in layers before you are in the boarding area. First is a BP scan to get you to Security.

The Second - security - can be intense or benign, luck of the draw. But at a busy departure hour in FRA, and consistent with my earlier trips outbound, both phases were about 10 minutes combined - and I got the shoe swipe and deep dive inspection of my rollaboard. AA departures are usually D1 to D4, so there are not that many outbound PAX at the same time as #71.

Third is the Passport screen. If you check bags that's done then and a sticker is affixed that makes this painless. If you don't check in at the counter you go thru the process questions at this last chokepoint and it's still painless - 30 seconds for me.

Between the 1st & 2nd layers is the Sakura. This place is nothing special. Free internet and booze. Tiny bar w/Bloody Mary setup,, but primitive. Beers and wine, and champagne. Virtually no food, cold or otherwise. Unfriendly staff.

Last edited by AATrout; Sep 25, 2013 at 9:21 pm Reason: corrected for Sakutra loc thanks to Majuki
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Remember, you can also use the CX lounge in E if you're on AA71, or have another same-day OW departure from T2.

The lounge is nothing special but at least the attendants were friendly the last time I visited.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott

Between the 2nd and 3rd layers is the Sakura. This place is nothing special. Free internet and booze. Tiny bar w/Bloody Mary setup,, but primitive. Beers and wine, and champagne. Virtually no food, cold or otherwise. Unfriendly staff.
Your coworker wouldn't be able to access the Sakura Lounge with the AmEx. You can check which clubs you can access on an AmEx Platinum with the link you provided. With the AmEx you can only access true Admirals Clubs, not partner lounges.

Also, the Sakura lounge is after passport control but before security for AA 71. The security checkpoint is right outside the Sakura lounge entrance, and there usually isn't much of a wait.

I'll agree with the other comments that you're not missing much with this lounge. There isn't much space, and the food offerings - at least in the morning - left much to be desired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.