Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

FRA / Frankfurt Admirals Club CLOSED (March 31, 2011) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT - 1MM; HH, Marriott

Anyone have experience with this club? Comments/suggestions?

Thanks, Jim

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATORS' NOTES

Updated Apr 10, 2011

N.B.: The Frankfurt Admirals Club CLOSED on March 31, 2011

This coincided with AA's move from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 on April 1, 2011. Admirals Club members, PLT, EXP, and F/J passengers will be able to use the JAL Sakura Lounge in Terminal 2. Yes, this includes Admirals Club members. [Press Release]

Other oneworld lounges in FRA, except the JAL lounge, are airside / past security, (member nldogbert states this will require using the interterminal train, but one remains airside) as follows:

Cathay Pacific First and Business Class Lounge
Location details: Terminal 2, Level 3 after the security checkpoint, opposite Gate E 7
Opening hours: Daily 06:00-14:00

Iberia Lounge
Location details: Terminal 2, opposite to gate D 26/27, after security
Opening hours: Daily 06:00-20:15

Japan Airlines First Class and Sakura Lounge
Location details: Terminal 2, Hall D, Level 3, after passport control but before security
Opening hours: Daily Summer 16:45-20:45, Winter 16:15-20:00

N.B.: The FRA / Frankfurt oneworld lounges consolidated thread is here.

Note that the Frankfurt Admirals Club is landside, outside of security. Here are links to some key posts within this thread:

• A brief orientation to the FRA AC: HERE
tom911's photos of the FRA AC: HERE
• Comparison to CX lounge: HERE
• Links to some older threads: HERE

AA Forum Co-Moderators

Last edited by dstan; Apr 10, 2011 at 12:53 pm Reason: closed
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

There's not much to say -- the Frankfurt Admirals Club is outside security, which is rare. But that gives you the benefit of checking in at the Admirals Club instead of the ticket counter if you wish.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...kfurt+admirals
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ankfurt+lounge

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 30, 2007 at 4:52 am Reason: add FRA AC checkin thread link to nice resource post

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
As you go out of security, transitioning from "airside" to "landside", you go upstairs to the "ticketing level" then just upstairs/up-the-escalator from near where the AA ticket counters are. Fantastic, helpful, cheerful staff. I've been thru the FRA A/C several times, & haven't meet a staff member that wasn't this way. Decent snacks (decent = better than A/C's stateside) & beverage selection. If you've got upgrades pending on your return, they keep an eye on them. They're also very hip to their destination being the "pitstop" on AA turnaround MR's thru FRA. Decent shower facilities, with products that, while not Molton Brown per se, are a cut above the "dispenser" stuff at the A/C's stateside. They try to have a fresh flower arrangement in each shower room as well.

They also have a security person come up to the club and do their security questions ("Did you pack this yourself?"...) there in the club, so you don't have to bother with that aspect of check-in downstairs. That's been a great time-saver..the TSA line is the only one you have to go thru downstairs after that. Each pax is called up to the front desk of the club where the security person is standing, they ask you the questions, stamp your docs, and you're good to go.

Now, while this location outside security may be a hassle for mileage runs, or for arrivals purposes, it's definitely a convenience for checking in at something other than the long lines at the ticket counters.

It's also just across a catwalk from the Sheraton. If you're into the SPG program, you can snag a few Starpoints buy snagging a beverage or meal in one of the hotel venues. Heck, IIRC, a couple of the FRA Brunch Do attendees last december even got a stay credit for it! I know it was a surprisingly nice little boost to my SPG account, that's for sure.

And, since it's just across the catwalk from the Sheraton, that puts it at a convenient distance to the train station (next to the sheraton lobby) for catching Deutsch Bahn to points farther on in Germany (or AA miles farther on in Germany if doing so as an AA codeshare).
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
One thing to mention is that there are only 2 showers, so if you are in J, walk to Immigration fast (and don't check bags) if you don't want to wait for one to open up. I've never had to wait >30minutes, but, 30 minutes is 30 minutes.

Also there is a grey-headed guy at the desk....Paul I think....that is outstanding. If you need something complex, he's your man.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by DillMan
One thing to mention is that there are only 2 showers, so if you are in J, walk to Immigration fast (and don't check bags) if you don't want to wait for one to open up. I've never had to wait >30minutes, but, 30 minutes is 30 minutes.

Also there is a grey-headed guy at the desk....Paul I think....that is outstanding. If you need something complex, he's your man.
Yup, second all of that. Staff here are cheerful and happy to help. Lounge itself is kind of tired looking and cramped.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Lifetime Platinum
Question

How do you access the club from the arrivals area? I assume you can use the facility if you've just arrived....yes?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Once you go landside, follow skye1's directions in post above. If you are airside, you can not access the Admirals Club. If you exit and go landside - you have to process through security again. Frankfurt is notable for its excellent zoo, with its patron saints (the Grzimeks,) and for its other, bad, zoo, FRA security.

Originally Posted by mjpflyer
How do you access the club from the arrivals area? I assume you can use the facility if you've just arrived....yes?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Once you go landside, follow skye1's directions in post above. If you are airside, you can not access the Admirals Club. If you exit and go landside - you have to process through security again. Frankfurt is notable for its excellent zoo, with its patron saints (the Grzimeks,) and for its other, bad, zoo, FRA security.
Some call it the "Frankfurt Frisk".
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by AAce
Some call it the "Frankfurt Frisk".
I only found one reference to the Frankfurt Frisk on all of FT:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657275

Originally Posted by HNL
No doubt. The security process in Barbados was bad. Nasty too. Worse than being subjected tot he Frankfurt Frisk.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by JumboJet
I only found one reference to the Frankfurt Frisk on all of FT:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657275
That is where I first learned of the phrase. I've been using the quip with my friends since. I thought it was funny.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
My last experience with FRA security on AA FRA-DTW was amazing... I nearly walked through... of course the usual checks of luggage and screening but just 1 minute waiting !

Excellent, well there might be busy times but thanks god AA has the C gates very close to the hall so the way is the shortest I ever had for a longhaul flight except in DUS

The AC is simply great ! Way better than the LH lounges where you have to pay for internet... even if the snacks are slightly better in the Senator lounges.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
The security line at C concourse at FRA on THU was a zoo. They did not keep First/Business separate from Economy, so all the vacation travellers with their 5 bags, pillows, strollers etc clogged up everything.

On the other hand you will be glad to know that security caught, overpowered and disarmed the almost infamous sausage bomber. Me. I had a can of Bavarian Weisswurst in my carry-on and since they were in water, thus liquid, they were confiscated and an entire 777 was safe again.

Also, the C-4 gate area is being remodeled, so it does not make for the most comfortable waiting experience if you do not maximize your time at the AC
Old Apr 7, 2007, 7:54 am

So if you are doing a connection from MA to AA and don't go outside security, are there any other lounge options?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:49 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Deltahater
On the other hand you will be glad to know that security caught, overpowered and disarmed the almost infamous sausage bomber. Me. I had a can of Bavarian Weisswurst in my carry-on and since they were in water, thus liquid, they were confiscated and an entire 777 was safe again.
I also had a can of Bavarian Weisswurst recently confiscated. If (during the robbery) you smelled Weisswurst on their breath, maybe you and I are both victims of the exact same sausage bandits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.