Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FRA / Frankfurt AA & Admirals Club Members T-2 JL Sakura Lounge (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2013, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FRA / Frankfurt International Airport JL First Class and Sakura Lounges
American Airlines premium flyers and Admirals Club Members

Link to FRA airport information on aa.com.

Link to FRA airport web site.

Link to oneworld website Lounge Access and Lounge Finder tool

JL First and Sakura Business Class Lounges

LOCATION: Terminal 2, Hall D Level 3, between departure gates D4 and D5A. This lounge has restrictions for access; the Sakura Lounge is BEFORE security[/B]; you must process security to board, so give yourself time - and note, you can not process security more than two hours prior to scheduled departure. (The landside FRA Admirals Club closed 31 Mar 2011.) Please read Note.

HOURS: Please see here.

AMENITIES: Please see here. "Business lounge is quiet, offers all admitted tarmac views, Ethernet connections, separate smoking room, self-service bar and snacks, washrooms, as supergrandslam reports two showers (small, no toilet) and can get crowded."

NOTE:

Must present a boarding pass for same day departing travel on an AA or US marketed and operated flight* and one of the following:
  • First Class or Business Class ticket (on same flight)
  • oneworld Emerald or oneworld Sapphire card
  • Admirals Club membership
At this time, JL only allows ticketed JL First Class passengers into the First lounge (not Emeralds unless ticketed in F) and has limited hours. Additionally, Admirals Club members have access to Sakura Lounge as follows:

"Admirals Club member (annual paid or Citi Executive card) plus two guests or immediate family. Must present boarding pass and Admirals Club membership card for same day travel on AA or US marketed and operated flight*. Not valid for arriving guests."
Other oneworld lounges in FRA are airside / past security, (member nldogbert states this will require using the interterminal train, but one remains airside) as follows:

Cathay Pacific First and Business Class Lounge

Location: Terminal 2, Level 3 after the security checkpoint, opposite Gate E 7

Hours: Daily 06:00-14:00

Amenities:
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Food and drinks
  • Printing
  • TVs
  • Showers
Iberia Lounge

Location: Terminal 2, opposite to gate D 26/27, after security, in the
Schengen area (no passport control) (see zski1's post below)

Hours: Daily 06:00-20:15

Eligibility: oneworld partners (American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Japan Airlines, LAN Chile, Quantas, Royal Jordanian), Aer Lingus, Icelandair, TAP, SATA (sic)
See FRA/Frankfurt Admirals Club CLOSING March 31 2011 (consolidated) thread.

Updated 15 Aug 2016 - JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

FRA / Frankfurt AA & Admirals Club Members T-2 JL Sakura Lounge (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: American Plat, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by stephensides
OK, understood.

I am now an Admiral's Club member. I understand from the prior posts that I am technically allowed to access the lounge. New questions then emerge:

As a regular AC member, am I permitted to bring a guest?
Would it be convenient to visit the lounge after arriving on AA70, getting a shower before proceeding to baggage claim and on to the train station? Our would this be an out-of-the-way hassle?

Many thanks.
I don't have answers to all of your questions - I too will be flying through FRA later this year and will try to stop in (Admiral's Club, switching to a non-AA non-OW flight out of FRA). The Admiral's club access appears to be a bridge solution until they get a new admiral's club(?) in the right terminal. So, I would not get too technical on the terms of use.

FWIW, the 1st quarter Admirals Club newsletter had a snippet as follows:

American's Frankfurt Terminal Relocation And Lounge Update The Frankfurt Admirals Club® will be closed effective April 1, 2011, due to American's move to Terminal 2 in the Frankfurt International Airport (FRA). As part of the airline's relocation, Japan Airlines (JAL) invites American Airlines Admirals Club members, as well as American Airlines Business Class and oneworld Emerald and Sapphire customers to enjoy JAL's Sakura Lounge located in Terminal 2, Hall D on Level 3 between departure Gates D4 and D5A.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Anyone at fra this morning? Friend said there were 3 AA planes there around 1030am. I think there is only 1 flight from dfw going there now? They didn't know what type (777,763)
Old Dec 2, 2011, 2:00 pm

fellows,

can anybody suggest me any lounge at FRA T2: I'll arrive on AA from DFW, and then I'll depart on MA to BUD, which means I will enter Shengen area. Shower is obviously a must.

I'm totally confused with those shengen / non-shengen separation.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*,
Somebody can correct me if I am wrong but I think you can stop by the JAL after arriving on AA70. You will go before you pass through customs. I know when I arrived FRA last week from London I walked past the JAL lounge before going downstairs and through cusoms.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by Ltgfrk
Somebody can correct me if I am wrong but I think you can stop by the JAL after arriving on AA70. You will go before you pass through customs. I know when I arrived FRA last week from London I walked past the JAL lounge before going downstairs and through cusoms.
I would be suprised if this is correct. I have flown on the AA DFW-FRA flight several times transited to several different connections most resently on Finnair to HEL. In each case my impression was that incoming passengers, even those in transit, are funneled seperately from the departure areas and Lounges and in each case I have had to go back through security and passport control in order to get to the depature lounge.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by Ltgfrk
+1 , but I am only 75% sure....

I went to FRA twice in OCT/NOV, one was on AA70 and the other was on BA from LHR.
If I understand it correctly, JAL lounge(and maybe CX lounge) is located between passport control(boundary inside/outside of terminal) and security control(just before departure zone/gate) on 3rd FL. Let's say it "neutral zone" here.

You will be in the neutral zone on 3rd FL(where JAL lounge is located) after arriving FRA on AA70 and BA from LHR. Follow "baggage claim" or "immigration" instead of "transit" even if you are transit passenger. You will find JAL lounge just before going downstairs to immigration(pass port control). After shower at JAL, you will now follow "transit" sign.

If you can't enter JAL lounge on 3rd FL(where I think non-shengen zone), you can stop by IB lounge on 2nd FL(shengen) where MA will depart from.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:42 pm

How about my luggage? I hope, I won't have to help it to get on MA?

How different is the situation if I'll decide to walk out of the terminal for some time? Will I be able to access any lounge (=to take a shower), then walk out of the terminal, and then, obviously, to come back and enter Iberia lounge?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tries
How about my luggage? I hope, I won't have to help it to get on MA?

How different is the situation if I'll decide to walk out of the terminal for some time? Will I be able to access any lounge (=to take a shower), then walk out of the terminal, and then, obviously, to come back and enter Iberia lounge?
You do not have to help your bags. I would follow the previous poster's advice that you go to the JAL lounge, see if they'll let you in, enjoy yourself, then follow the signs for transit passengers. You will go through passport control and possibly security again but you will not have to recheck your bags.

-z
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Sakura Lounge is past passport control, yet before security; this means you may not be able to access the Sakura lounge. And you are allowed guests only under oneworld rules, not Admirals Club rules.

There are showers available for hire in the arrivals areas at FRA. I believe in Terminal 1 the Laden Galerie shopping mall has two hair salons and pay showers.

The Frankfurt airport website states:

Showers
Showers are available in the public area (Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 2, Shopping Boulevard) and in the transit area (Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 3, and Terminal 2, Concourse D, Level 3).

The Sakura lounge is comfortable and clean, has a few food and drink offerings, and is a pleasant place to spend some time (in comparison with a gate area). There is free WiFi (get the access code from the admittance desk), a half dozen or more carrels for using laptops, a printing station and one computer - with a mismapped keyboard, so don't even think about using it.

As mentioned previously, it is after passport control, but before security, so leave time to process security.

Originally Posted by stephensides
OK, understood.

I am now an Admiral's Club member. I understand from the prior posts that I am technically allowed to access the lounge. New questions then emerge:

As a regular AC member, am I permitted to bring a guest?
Would it be convenient to visit the lounge after arriving on AA70, getting a shower before proceeding to baggage claim and on to the train station? Our would this be an out-of-the-way hassle?

Many thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
The Sakura lounge is comfortable and clean, has a few food and drink offerings, and is a pleasant place to spend some time (in comparison with a gate area). There is free WiFi (get the access code from the admittance desk), a half dozen or more carrels for using laptops, a printing station and one computer - with a mismapped keyboard, so don't even think about using it.
Not to mention the many settings and features of a Japanese commode!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
The Sakura Lounge is past passport control, yet before security; this means you may not be able to access the Sakura lounge. And you are allowed guests only under oneworld rules, not Admirals Club rules.

There are showers available for hire in the arrivals areas at FRA. I believe in Terminal 1 the Laden Galerie shopping mall has two hair salons and pay showers.

The Frankfurt airport website states:

Showers
Showers are available in the public area (Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 2, Shopping Boulevard) and in the transit area (Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 3, and Terminal 2, Concourse D, Level 3).

As mentioned previously, it is after passport control, but before security, so leave time to process security.
Having used the JAL lounge during a connection from AA to IB, I'm not sure I agree with everything said above. The lounge is located before passport control AND security, so you can enter it immediately upon arrival.

The computer and printer station, while a little jank, saved my life. I used it print out maps of all my hotel locations in Spain which were VERY necessary using my own transport. Always remember with Windows, you can change the language setting to EN on the bottom-right menu.

After waiting until an hour before my IB flight, I went through passport / security which took about 5 minutes, so I had time to pop into the IB lounge. It's a pretty worthless lounge compared to JAL which has a lot more space, showers, and more food/drink.

The JAL lounge desk tried to steer me to the IB lounge, but I am very glad I did not take that advice!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
As an arriving OWE, I walked right past the JL lounge but did not try to enter because I was not leaving on another OW flight. Instead, I used the old AC (now LUX) in Terminal 1. If you have Priority Pass, it is a very nice arrivals lounge - now with free WiFi! A couple of the old AC employees work there as well.

Departing, the JL lounge was nice, but the FC section does not open until afternoon, so it is only the BC area for AA pax. I looked at the IB lounge - it appeared to be a dump - and third party operated, so quite possily no OW status access, but it did show a Priority Pass option. I did not think it was worth it - even for free. CX has a pleasnt lounge - quite a walk though as it it is above the E gates rather than the D gates, and I liked very comparable to JL. It was only a combined BUS/FIRST lounge. I assume I would have been allowed into the EK lounger as well as a OWE - I didn't have time to try however. If was just before the CX lounge above the E gates.

All in all, plenty of departure/transit options if you have OWS/OWE status and arrivals options for PP or $$.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
FRA lounge question

Hey all!

I'm an AA Admirals Club member and I will be flying BA FRA-LHR in Y. I have no One World Status. Does the Admirals Membership allow entrance to One World Airline Lounges when flying a same day One World Carrier? (UA Club membership allows this).

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
The answer to your question is on aa.com:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...sLocations.jsp

In general you can't access all Oneworld lounges as an AC member, but there are special agreements in place for certain lounges. On that site there's a table where you can select your membership type and it'll show you the lounges you can use.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
UA Club membership rules have no bearing on this. Nonetheless, as per the consolidated FRA lounge thread, where this will promptly relocate to, the first post states:

American's Frankfurt Terminal Relocation And Lounge Update

The Frankfurt Admirals Club® will be closed effective April 1, 2011, due to American's move to Terminal 2 in the Frankfurt International Airport (FRA). As part of the airline's relocation, Japan Airlines (JAL) invites American Airlines Admirals Club members, as well as American Airlines Business Class and oneworld Emerald and Sapphire customers to enjoy JAL's Sakura Lounge located in Terminal 2, Hall D on Level 3 between departure Gates D4 and D5A.
To search for very common and three of fewer character terms, put the term in quotation marks; with more popular threads, moderators try to have both the airport code and city name in the title for easier searching. Enjouy the JL Sakura Lounge.

Originally Posted by zrs70
Hey all!

I'm an AA Admirals Club member and I will be flying BA FRA-LHR in Y. I have no One World Status. Does the Admirals Membership allow entrance to One World Airline Lounges when flying a same day One World Carrier? (UA Club membership allows this).

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.