Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FRA / Frankfurt AA & Admirals Club Members T-2 JL Sakura Lounge (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2013, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FRA / Frankfurt International Airport JL First Class and Sakura Lounges
American Airlines premium flyers and Admirals Club Members

Link to FRA airport information on aa.com.

Link to FRA airport web site.

Link to oneworld website Lounge Access and Lounge Finder tool

JL First and Sakura Business Class Lounges

LOCATION: Terminal 2, Hall D Level 3, between departure gates D4 and D5A. This lounge has restrictions for access; the Sakura Lounge is BEFORE security[/B]; you must process security to board, so give yourself time - and note, you can not process security more than two hours prior to scheduled departure. (The landside FRA Admirals Club closed 31 Mar 2011.) Please read Note.

HOURS: Please see here.

AMENITIES: Please see here. "Business lounge is quiet, offers all admitted tarmac views, Ethernet connections, separate smoking room, self-service bar and snacks, washrooms, as supergrandslam reports two showers (small, no toilet) and can get crowded."

NOTE:

Must present a boarding pass for same day departing travel on an AA or US marketed and operated flight* and one of the following:
  • First Class or Business Class ticket (on same flight)
  • oneworld Emerald or oneworld Sapphire card
  • Admirals Club membership
At this time, JL only allows ticketed JL First Class passengers into the First lounge (not Emeralds unless ticketed in F) and has limited hours. Additionally, Admirals Club members have access to Sakura Lounge as follows:

"Admirals Club member (annual paid or Citi Executive card) plus two guests or immediate family. Must present boarding pass and Admirals Club membership card for same day travel on AA or US marketed and operated flight*. Not valid for arriving guests."
Other oneworld lounges in FRA are airside / past security, (member nldogbert states this will require using the interterminal train, but one remains airside) as follows:

Cathay Pacific First and Business Class Lounge

Location: Terminal 2, Level 3 after the security checkpoint, opposite Gate E 7

Hours: Daily 06:00-14:00

Amenities:
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Food and drinks
  • Printing
  • TVs
  • Showers
Iberia Lounge

Location: Terminal 2, opposite to gate D 26/27, after security, in the
Schengen area (no passport control) (see zski1's post below)

Hours: Daily 06:00-20:15

Eligibility: oneworld partners (American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Japan Airlines, LAN Chile, Quantas, Royal Jordanian), Aer Lingus, Icelandair, TAP, SATA (sic)
See FRA/Frankfurt Admirals Club CLOSING March 31 2011 (consolidated) thread.

Updated 15 Aug 2016 - JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

FRA / Frankfurt AA & Admirals Club Members T-2 JL Sakura Lounge (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by kingarthur
Having used the JAL lounge during a connection from AA to IB, I'm not sure I agree with everything said above. The lounge is located before passport control AND security, so you can enter it immediately upon arrival.

The computer and printer station, while a little jank, saved my life. I used it print out maps of all my hotel locations in Spain which were VERY necessary using my own transport. Always remember with Windows, you can change the language setting to EN on the bottom-right menu.

After waiting until an hour before my IB flight, I went through passport / security which took about 5 minutes, so I had time to pop into the IB lounge. It's a pretty worthless lounge compared to JAL which has a lot more space, showers, and more food/drink.

The JAL lounge desk tried to steer me to the IB lounge, but I am very glad I did not take that advice!

I think there has been some confusion on the meaning of "before" and "after" passport control, due to the direction you are going. If you are arriving, the order of things is:

Gate -> Security/carry-on baggage check -> Airside terminal 2, including JAL lounge -> Passport Control -> Baggage Claim.

If you are arriving, the lounge is just after you bypass the security line, BEFORE passport control. If you are leaving, the lounge is AFTER passport control.

When you arrive, after you see the security line for departing passengers, you turn left to go to passport control. Before you get to the escalator that takes you down to passport control you will see the JAL lounge on your right. You do get access to it if you are an AAdmiral's Club member or if you have OW status.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago, it took less than 5 minutes to get from the lounge to the gate. The security line where they X-ray your carry -on's was empty at the time. The line is right before the gates and only a few steps from the door of the JAL lounge. You don't have to walk very far once you get through the security line.

I find the JAL lounge more convenient than the old Admiral's Club because it is very close to the gates and after passport control, where the lines can be very long. It would be better if it was past security, but the last few times I've been there, security hasn't taken more than 15 minutes, and often takes less than 5 minutes.

I don't much care for the decor, but for the short time I need it when departing, it is a good place to hang out if you get to the airport early. I haven't had to use it upon arrival, but it is right along the route between the gate and the airport exit and would be very convenient for taking a quick shower. It couldn't be in a better location for this purpose.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by JDiver
UA Club membership rules have no bearing on this. Nonetheless, as per the consolidated FRA lounge thread, where this will promptly relocate to, the first post states:

To search for very common and three of fewer character terms, put the term in quotation marks; with more popular threads, moderators try to have both the airport code and city name in the title for easier searching. Enjouy the JL Sakura Lounge.
I appreciate your help. The AA web site states that a same day AA ticket was needed for admission, thus my question.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...ations.jsp#FRA

Airport Location Hours Amenities
Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
Frankfurt Airport Shared with Japan Airlines (Sakura Lounge)

Must present membership card (or 30 Day Membership reciept) and boarding pass for same day travel on AA marketed and operated flight*. Not Valid for arriving guests.

(of note is that the word "receipt" is spelled wrong on their web page!)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
FRA lounge access with connecting flight.

Question for the Germany travelers:

I am going to Oktoberfest this fall and flying into FRA from DFW on AA metal (business class). I know that I have access to the Sakura lounge - however, my connecting flight to MUC is on Lufthansa. I have a six hour layover for flight. I know AA moved to Terminal 2 and Lufthansa is in Terminal 1. Do the terminals connect? Can we wait in the lounge until 90 minutes before flight? Trying to find a good terminal map but I am unsure if they connect. Any info would be appreciated.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: All of them...
The 2 terminals are one building.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
I am not sure on this one... while technically they are in one building I think there is a physical separation which prevents you from going from terminal 2 gates to terminal 1 gates airside.

As the JAL lounge is near the Term 2 gates and not technically an arrivals lounge you may be out of luck.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: All of them...
I'm not sure, but I think that the AirLink connects the 2 terminals airside
Old Jun 25, 2012, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN

I am going to Oktoberfest this fall and flying into FRA from DFW on AA metal (business class). I know that I have access to the Sakura lounge - however, my connecting flight to MUC is on Lufthansa. I have a six hour layover for flight. I know AA moved to Terminal 2 and Lufthansa is in Terminal 1. Do the terminals connect? Can we wait in the lounge until 90 minutes before flight? Trying to find a good terminal map but I am unsure if they connect. Any info would be appreciated.
AA 70 arrives 830am - JL to NRT departs around 900pm - doubtful the JL lounge will be open when you arrive. If it is, it is probably on contract to serve another airline with an earlier departure.

Does AA use the lounge for its FRA-DFW flight? If so, if there are AA personnel in the lounge that might help.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: Basement Lurker Club

You will have physical access to the lounges in terminal 2 because when you exit, you will be inside passport control but outside gate security zones, i.e. non-shengen area. This area includes shops and lounges. I don't know what access you have to Sakura lounge, but Finnair has a contract with the Sky Lounge and I've used it as a OW elite. It's much nicer then then Sakura lounge. Their both in the same corridor about 100-200 meters apart.

Once you land, don't go through passport control and stay in Terminal 2. 45-60 minutes is sufficient time to get from the lounge to your gate in Terminal 1. Also note, currently, some Lufthansa flights are departing Terminal 2 because of ongoing construction in Terminal 1. Pay attention to the departures board.

Last edited by hessinger; Jun 25, 2012 at 10:01 pm
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:47 pm

Do I have that option to not pass through passport control? I know in many EU countries you are forced to hit passport control if you are directly from the US?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:01 pm

Do I have that option to not pass through passport control? I know in many EU countries you are forced to hit passport control if you are directly from the US?
Yeah that is correct about most EU airports forcing you through passport control immediately, but that is only due to the fact that they don't separate non-shengen and shengen departing flights. Frankfurt is setup in a way that separates these areas, therefore you can stay between passport control and security to access lounges and shops. You will eventually have to pass through passport control for your departing flight to Munich.

For those connecting outside of the shengen area, they will need to have their boarding passes printed prior to arriving to FRA as there are no counters accessible within this area unless the lounges can assist pax. At one point, and may still be, it was not possible to change between the non-shengen areas of terminal 1 and 2 without going through passport control. It is also impossible to retrieve bags without first going through passport control.

Enjoy the beer and maybe I'll see you at Oktoberfest

Last edited by hessinger; Jun 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
I am going to Oktoberfest this fall and flying into FRA from DFW on AA metal (business class). I know that I have access to the Sakura lounge - however, my connecting flight to MUC is on Lufthansa.
I don't think you have access to the Sakura lounge because your connecting flight is non-OW. The Sakura lounge isn't available for OW elites(except JAL DIA or above) as arrival lounge.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
AA 70 arrives 830am - JL to NRT departs around 900pm - doubtful the JL lounge will be open when you arrive. If it is, it is probably on contract to serve another airline with an earlier departure.

Does AA use the lounge for its FRA-DFW flight? If so, if there are AA personnel in the lounge that might help.
I believe the lounge is open when OP arrives at FRA as the lounge accommodates non-JAL OW elites(AA,BA etc).
But I think OP will not be allowed to enter the lounge because of the reason I wrote above.
I also found that the lounge has always an approved passenger list of the day and may not allow passengers not on the list to enter the lounge.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I believe the lounge is open when OP arrives at FRA as the lounge accommodates non-JAL OW elites(AA,BA etc).
But I think OP will not be allowed to enter the lounge because of the reason I wrote above.
I also found that the lounge has always an approved passenger list of the day and may not allow passengers not on the list to enter the lounge.
On a side note, the Sky Lounge, 100-200 meters away, is accessible to Priority Pass members.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:09 am

So it seems that if you're arriving in FRA you are SOL. That's some BS! Nice sham - there are no OW flights out of FRA to MUC!

Last edited by AA-Flyer-SAN; Jun 26, 2012 at 4:20 am
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:00 am

So it seems that if you're arriving in FRA you are SOL. That's some BS! Nice sham - there are no OW flights out of FRA to MUC!
Could fly into DUS or Berlin using Air Berlin.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:14 pm

I already got the tickets at a huge discount

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.