FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   FRA / Frankfurt AA & Admirals Club Members T-2 JL Sakura Lounge (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1198725-fra-frankfurt-aa-admirals-club-members-t-2-jl-sakura-lounge-master-thread.html)

JDiver Apr 5, 2009 6:03 pm

FRA / Frankfurt AA & Admirals Club Members T-2 JL Sakura Lounge (master thread)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S...0/AC_B_FRA.png
FRA / Frankfurt International Airport JAL First and Sakura (AA Access) and oneworld Lounges

pdog02 Mar 1, 2011 10:46 am

FRA/Frankfurt oneworld Lounges post AA T2 move (consolidated)

Quasi good news for FRA from AA.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Americ....html?x=0&.v=1

paseom2 Mar 1, 2011 11:43 am

Originally Posted by pdog02 (Post 15954609)

I am glad to hear AA is co-locating with the other OW carriers. I am not sure however how much help the JAL lounge will be seeing as oneworld lounge finder lists the Sakura Lounge hours as "Daily: Summer 16:45-20:45, Winter 16:15-20:00" and the FRA-DFW flight leaves at 10:30...

The Iberia lounge appears to have longer hours and is also in Terminal 2, Hall D.

zski1 Mar 1, 2011 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by paseom2 (Post 15955040)
I am glad to hear AA is co-locating with the other OW carriers. I am not sure however how much help the JAL lounge will be seeing as oneworld lounge finder lists the Sakura Lounge hours as "Daily: Summer 16:45-20:45, Winter 16:15-20:00" and the FRA-DFW flight leaves at 10:30...

The Iberia lounge appears to have longer hours and is also in Terminal 2, Hall D.

Not sure what is up with that page; unless they've very recently changed their hours, the JAL lounge in Frankfurt is open at least by 1000 every day, if not earlier. I've never bothered to check their hours, but I've taken the BA flight to LHR many times in the last year that leaves around 1130 and have parked in the JAL lounge beforehand.

The Iberia lounge would be inconvenient (if not impossible???) to use when taking an AA flight; the JAL lounge is after passport control, but before security, on the upper level of the terminal, which is where people waiting for the FRA-DFW flight will want to go. The Iberia lounge is in the Schengen area (no passport control), AFTER security on the lower level. The Iberia lounge is smaller than the JAL lounge as well.

Depending on where the AA arrival gates will be, there is the potential that you could access the JAL lounge on arrival. Not sure whether an AA flyer would be _admitted_ to the lounge after arriving, but you will likely walk past it on the way to passport control/baggage reclaim/customs.

-z

chanp Mar 1, 2011 2:52 pm

Just read this on FB. Good news. I was there last Monday.

paseom2 Mar 1, 2011 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by zski1 (Post 15955176)
Not sure what is up with that page; unless they've very recently changed their hours, the JAL lounge in Frankfurt is open at least by 1000 every day, if not earlier. I've never bothered to check their hours, but I've taken the BA flight to LHR many times in the last year that leaves around 1130 and have parked in the JAL lounge beforehand.

The Iberia lounge would be inconvenient (if not impossible???) to use when taking an AA flight; the JAL lounge is after passport control, but before security, on the upper level of the terminal, which is where people waiting for the FRA-DFW flight will want to go. The Iberia lounge is in the Schengen area (no passport control), AFTER security on the lower level. The Iberia lounge is smaller than the JAL lounge as well.

Depending on where the AA arrival gates will be, there is the potential that you could access the JAL lounge on arrival. Not sure whether an AA flyer would be _admitted_ to the lounge after arriving, but you will likely walk past it on the way to passport control/baggage reclaim/customs.

-z

Thanks for the catch on the IB Schengen situation - it had momentarily slipped my mind. Hopefully the hours posted on the oneworld website are simply incorrect in this case.

Gamecock Mar 1, 2011 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by pdog02 (Post 15954609)

This is good news indeed. The JAL Lounge is very nice. Hopefully some of the FRA AAngels will be given employment there.

Also, T-2 is much easier to get around in, with the exception of not having a train station in the basement of course.

Exleftseat Mar 2, 2011 12:19 am

I have been at the Sakura lounge at 6 a.m. in the morning on many occasions, although that was a while ago when NW had a contract with them. It was not like the JL lounge in NRT, the only Japanese item were some dated magazines.

P.S. I thought it was after security as well.

KtownTraveler Mar 2, 2011 12:28 am

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT (Post 15959110)
I have been at the Sakura lounge at 6 a.m. in the morning on many occasions, although that was a while ago when NW had a contract with them. It was not like the JL lounge in NRT, the only Japanese item were some dated magazines.

And the toilets. Definitely Japanese.

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT (Post 15959110)
P.S. I thought it was after security as well.

IIRC, there's only passport control between the lounge and the gates.

Exleftseat Mar 2, 2011 12:34 am

Originally Posted by KtownTraveler (Post 15959131)

IIRC, there's only passport control between the lounge and the gates.

Yes, you are correct about the toilets. We always enjoyed that. Feels like home, I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.

I thought it was after security, but I could be wrong. I know it was on the same floor where you get the tax refund money back. In any case as I said, it was a couple of years ago and my memory isn't the best anymore.

Exleftseat Mar 2, 2011 12:37 am

FWIW, I just checked the website of FRA airport at
http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...s/lounges.html
and this is what shows under Sakura Lounge :

Japan Airlines Sakura Lounge
Daily from 5:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
+49-69-690 72716
First Class PASSENGERS of Japan Airlines; holders of the Japan Global Card; holders of the JGP Card; passengers with Lounge invitation card
Terminal 2, Level 3, after the security checkpoint, near gate D8

mikelat Mar 2, 2011 9:16 pm

Does the FRA JL lounge have the same beef curry that they have in NRT? :D mmmm. Tempted to book a trip back to Tokyo just for that (just kidding, it'd be for the miles too)

Exleftseat Mar 3, 2011 1:05 am

If I remember food choices at the FRA Sakura lounge are quite limited. Nothing that is specific Japanese. No Onigiri, no sushi, no rice dishes.

AAbuzzard Mar 4, 2011 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by KtownTraveler (Post 15959131)

+++++1!!!!!

chanp Mar 6, 2011 9:43 am

Originally Posted by mikelat (Post 15965553)
Does the FRA JL lounge have the same beef curry that they have in NRT? :D mmmm. Tempted to book a trip back to Tokyo just for that (just kidding, it'd be for the miles too)

It didnt when I was there, flight left at around noon.