Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
You need to be sure that you have a real ticket number. I would even call QF to verify they have the ticket number.
QF gets paid by the reward ticket.

Once two of us departing BNE and AA had not officially issued the ticket for one of us. I was on the phone with AA from BNE for 1.5 hours to resolve and get AA to issue the ticket.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 2:31 am

There's a YVR SYD that shows availability on Expertflyer, BA, CX, and QF, but it does not display on AA. Has anyone encountered this?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by alfrie
There might be something wrong with your booking if it has been ON REQUEST for 72+ hours. This happened to me last week. Initially I held my itinerary online and called to add an AA domestic segment. She did that and took my payment information. After 3 days it hadn't been ticketed so I called back. It turned out the agent did not restore the fare so the system could not auto ticket it.
There were no problems with the booking. It sat ON REQUEST for seven days, but ticketed this morning.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by LukeO9
Ahh. I see it. Most annoying.
You've reported all the tricks I've tried (some successfully) to find them on AA.
There was 1 weird thing recently, where I couldn't get a QF connection with an inbound CX for an AAward - had to connect the next day, within 24hr. As soon as the booking was ticketed, I could get the same day connection. I'm guessing here, but maybe once the booking is in the QF system, all QF availability may show, and thereby change to it ?
This was my last hope. The flight ticketed this morning, but the agent was still not able to see the business class availability on QF15. Looks like I will be paying for my POM-BNE feeder flight on a different airline.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
There's a YVR SYD that shows availability on Expertflyer, BA, CX, and QF, but it does not display on AA. Has anyone encountered this?
This is a similar issue to the one I described above. I was not able to solve this problem for my preferred BNE-LAX flight on August 24th, despite using all of the tricks I'm aware of.
I will say that AA.com did not display any availability in business on any LAX/BNE flights, but I was able to call in and ticket one. If you haven't already tried a phone agent, you might get lucky.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by grlmopz
This is a similar issue to the one I described above. I was not able to solve this problem for my preferred BNE-LAX flight on August 24th, despite using all of the tricks I'm aware of.
I will say that AA.com did not display any availability in business on any LAX/BNE flights, but I was able to call in and ticket one. If you haven't already tried a phone agent, you might get lucky.
I called AA Australia but had no luck. Did you call AA in the US?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 12:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I cant find a single J ticket on LAX/SYD or LAX/MEL. Are they just all sold out through using AA miles? I looked at 15 straight days over summer and then also October, November & December maybe 20 combined days. I know getting F on QF through AA was a challenge pre Covid but I dont recall finding J availability was.

Also, For SY to/from Sin F doesnt come up and I was wondering why given they are flying an A380. Only J comes on that and even then its hard to find it direct. Usually requires a stop in Perth. Finally looking like I can do my Australia & Singapore trip but I cant find any of the availability I used to be able to find.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
I cant find a single J ticket on LAX/SYD or LAX/MEL. Are they just all sold out through using AA miles? I looked at 15 straight days over summer and then also October, November & December maybe 20 combined days. I know getting F on QF through AA was a challenge pre Covid but I dont recall finding J availability was.

Also, For SY to/from Sin F doesnt come up and I was wondering why given they are flying an A380. Only J comes on that and even then its hard to find it direct. Usually requires a stop in Perth. Finally looking like I can do my Australia & Singapore trip but I cant find any of the availability I used to be able to find.
availability is incredibly sparse right now. I set 200 expertflyer alerts and ended up with an outbound and return flight that worked for me but about 190 of the alerts never triggered
Old Mar 11, 2022, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
availability is incredibly sparse right now. I set 200 expertflyer alerts and ended up with an outbound and return flight that worked for me but about 190 of the alerts never triggered
Would you mind sharing what search terms you used in expertflyer? I have been manually searching AA for a month now and am ready to pay for the searches to be done for me. Were you searching dates months in advance, and if so, did it take long to get a hit? Did you have to call AA to book or were you able to book online with AA? (Thanks!)

I've been searching on AA so much that sometimes it thinks I'm a robot and sometimes it just stops letting me used the calendar view.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cant find a single J ticket on LAX/SYD or LAX/MEL. Are they just all sold out through using AA miles? I looked at 15 straight days over summer and then also October, November & December maybe 20 combined days. I know getting F on QF through AA was a challenge pre Covid but I don't recall finding J availability was.

Also, For SYD to/from Sin F doesn't come up and I was wondering why given they are flying an A380. Only J comes on that and even then its hard to find it direct. Usually requires a stop in Perth. Finally looking like I can do my Australia & Singapore trip but I cant find any of the availability I used to be able to find.
Try QF to BNE.
From SFO may be an option if those QF flights resume
The QF AU <--->USA routes and aircraft are still evolving. Will take months to settle down
Only the QF A380 has F class. B787 does not

AA also fly LAX-SYD. Suspended from 5 May to 29 Oct 2022
ExecTrav "American Airlines will suspend lights between Sydney and Los Angeles from May 5, citing “ongoing delays” to the delivery of new Boeing 787 jets."
OMAT "Los Angeles to Sydney (existing route, suspended until October 29, 2022)"

And then there is FJ via NAN

FT thread-->AAdvantage award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

Edit
QF & BA ffp's (amadeus GDS) can get awards from 355 days out. With QF days out is status dependant. So awards released may be gone

Edit 2
AFF 30 Sep 2021 --->How Qantas Plans to Fly Airbus A330s to the USA

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 11, 2022 at 4:05 pm
Old Mar 11, 2022, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
So you searched 35 days out of ~331 and didn't find a single F or J award seat on QF between LAX-SYD or MEL. Maybe the least shocking news, ever

Sorry OP not to pile on, but as we've mentioned several times now there is nothing easy about finding QF premium award space between the US and Australia. Not sure what you're recalling but business has always been just about as difficult as F.

Not to mention 2022 will be especially interesting with travel just opening back up, lots of pent up demand, flight schedules still in flux and not back to pre-pandemic levels, etc.

There's not much you can do other than to just keep checking back, but I would definitely have a plan B and C.
Mwenenzi and PbodyPhoto like this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by carla568
Would you mind sharing what search terms you used in expertflyer? I have been manually searching AA for a month now and am ready to pay for the searches to be done for me. Were you searching dates months in advance, and if so, did it take long to get a hit? Did you have to call AA to book or were you able to book online with AA? (Thanks!)

I've been searching on AA so much that sometimes it thinks I'm a robot and sometimes it just stops letting me used the calendar view.
You just search specific flights and dates. I set an award availability alert on every flight on a few airlines over a few week period in each direction. Took a couple of weeks to get a hit on QF flights. You have to go online within 30 minutes of getting the alert or it’s probably already gone. Some alerts that came at 7am were gone by 8am when I was out of bed.
carla568 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 10:33 am

I spotted and nabbed an AA Business class award, Qantas operated, SYD-LAX in June. It's on the A380.

My question is --- Is there any mechanism for upgrading to F -- either through additional miles or additional $$$?

I grabbed this flight mainly because of the A380 (I was scheduled to fly F on the 380 right before covid to MEL). But when I remembered "hey I'm not in F anymore" and recalled some prior discussions where the business class on the 380 was not that great, I was less excited. AUS in southern hemisphere winter had not been on my radar and have a lot going on with other trips this spring/summer so I'm still on the fence & leaning to "no". But an upgrade mechanism to F though that is confirmable might nudge me the other way.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You can change from business class to 1st class if award availability opens up, but outside that, expect to travel business class
cmtlatitudes and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 3:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by carla568

The same thing happens to me a lot lately, where it says Calendar no longer works. I have to open a new browser and then its good again. I guess I am doing too many searches. I had just assumed it was an issue with AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.