Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX

Having been looking around for a F award on QF from the USA to Aussie OR a J award on the A380 too....

In a conversation with an agent she said - QF milks their award seats that are made available....she suggested if I find at least one seat book it and she would bet the next day another one would pop up.

Does anyone have experience with this kinda strategy? Is she full of it or being factual? Thanks
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
QF releases their awards 355 days out to QF FFs, so at the 331 days AA uses for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available - and the A380 J cabins are pretty popular. I don't think AA CSRs have much insight into the QF revenue management routine - but one thing that can help is signing up for a FF program that allows you to see QF available award seats, since aa.com doesn't.

(I have been successful in securing two seats in J North America to / from Australia, for ourselves and for friends in living Oz - it wasn't the easiest exercise, and sometimes it was about our origin and destination, not the aircraft or the most direct flights - e.g. LAX-BNE-destination.)

N.B. Alternative ways of flying North America - Australia with AAdvantage miles include Hawaiian / HA via Honolulu / HNL, Air Tahiti Nui / TN via Pa Pete / PPT and Fiji Airlines / FJ via Nadi NAN.

Flying via Asia, e.g. Hong Kong using CX / Cathay Pacific or Japan Airlines / JL via Japan will require two awards.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 14, 2014 at 5:19 am Reason: trypo and later, highlight, add options
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:00 am

Location: Weekdays: LAX; Weekends (when not in a metal tube): LPC
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Does anyone have any experience with last minute releases of unsold A380 F seats? And, specifically, changing an award booking on the day of flight to switch to the newer equipment?

I'm on an award ticket (booking class "P") for LAX-MEL-SYD. It's one of the days when QF94 (LAX-MEL) is the 747 Longreach. I'm hopeful that a pair unsold F seats on QF12 might be made available to us.

Is there any chance of that happening? Because the award was booked through AA, does that mean the only way to make this happen is via AA, even at the airport? (Yes, I have the EF alerts set...)

Thanks,

J

Last edited by jkearns; Sep 3, 2010 at 12:06 am Reason: removed error re booking codes on A380
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by JHIN
Having been looking around for a F award on QF from the USA to Aussie OR a J award on the A380 too....

In a conversation with an agent she said - QF milks their award seats that are made available....she suggested if I find at least one seat book it and she would bet the next day another one would pop up.

Does anyone have experience with this kinda strategy? Is she full of it or being factual? Thanks

My suggestion (and I mean this sincerely) is to assume that QF J and F award don't exist for the USA-AUS route. Yes, occasionally AA fliers are successful but very rarely. If you want to ride in Y then there is a lot of availability.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by jkearns
Does anyone have any experience with last minute releases of unsold A380 F seats? And, specifically, changing an award booking on the day of flight to switch to the newer equipment?

I'm on an award ticket (booking class "P") for LAX-MEL-SYD. It's one of the days when QF94 (LAX-MEL) is the 747 Longreach. I'm hopeful that a pair unsold F seats on QF12 might be made available to us.

Is there any chance of that happening? Because the award was booked through AA, does that mean the only way to make this happen is via AA, even at the airport? (Yes, I have the EF alerts set...)

Thanks,

J
The F seats on the A380 are booked by QF J-F upgrades. You will be in the back of a very long (virtual) line for those spaces.

Yes, QF can and will do nothing for you on the phone or at the airport unless you have a travel disruption.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
I've had good luck getting 2 separate J awards LAX to SYD about 5-6 months in advance (as far as I can book out). In both cases have gotten the dates I wanted for a 10 day-2 week trip

Originally Posted by millionmiler
My suggestion (and I mean this sincerely) is to assume that QF J and F award don't exist for the USA-AUS route. Yes, occasionally AA fliers are successful but very rarely. If you want to ride in Y then there is a lot of availability.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Sorry, but I have to contest the first part of this statement. I understand you are using a bit of hyperbole here, but I know of many people, myself included, who have flown multiple times in the pointy end on QF using AA miles. It just requires flexibility and dedication.

The strategies to call at 330 days, and check daily (or multiple times daily) once you cross into T-14 days are wise ones.

I have employed both with success on every occasion. So I don't think "very rarely" is a fair assessment of the situation, especially if you open up J into the pool of options.

If you're going for F on the A380 only, then sure you're going to find difficulty. But there is a lot of J capacity from US-OZ (MEL/SYD/BNE/AKL then over the Tasman), so if you're fine with J and flexible on travel dates, I think you'll find things much easier.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by RChavez
Sorry, but I have to contest the first part of this statement. I understand you are using a bit of hyperbole here, but I know of many people, myself included, who have flown multiple times in the pointy end on QF using AA miles. It just requires flexibility and dedication.

The strategies to call at 330 days, and check daily (or multiple times daily) once you cross into T-14 days are wise ones.

I have employed both with success on every occasion. So I don't think "very rarely" is a fair assessment of the situation, especially if you open up J into the pool of options.

If you're going for F on the A380 only, then sure you're going to find difficulty. But there is a lot of J capacity from US-OZ (MEL/SYD/BNE/AKL then over the Tasman), so if you're fine with J and flexible on travel dates, I think you'll find things much easier.
I stand by my defintion of "very rarely" but obviously others have a different definition.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That all certainly reflects our experiences. I find one has to do a bit of study before contacting AA as well - we were told, after securing ADL-MEL-LAX-MEX for friends, there was no return available - until I told the agent I was seeing two seats available LAX-BNE, at which we were able to secure MEX-LAX-BNE-ADL - the agent was thinking QF only flew transpac to SYD and MEL, not considering BNE or AKL.

Added later: Don't forget HNL-SYD, either, or even using TN or FJ via PPT or NAN.

The oneworld interactive map, accessible from this page, can be useful as well.

(If the J is available on the A380, I personally prefer A380 J to the aging 747 F.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 25, 2011 at 11:18 am Reason: add notes
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:49 am

Alternate Routing to OZ

Originally Posted by JDiver
That all certainly reflects our experiences. I find one has to do a bit of study before contacting AA as well - we were told, after securing ADL-MEL-LAX-MEX for friends, there was no return available - until I told the agent I was seeing two seats available LAX-BNE, at which we were able to secure MEX-LAX-BNE-ADL - the agent was thinking QF only flew transpac to SYD and MEL, not considering BNE or AKL.
I flew twice this year MIA-SYD on awards, once in J, once in F.
I flew MIA-JFK-SYD both times. Even though the flight is JFK-(LAX)-SYD; i.e., stops in LAX for refueling, the seats were not available LAX-SYD on the same plane, but were available for JFK-SYD.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiamiPrep
I flew twice this year MIA-SYD on awards, once in J, once in F.
I flew MIA-JFK-SYD both times. Even though the flight is JFK-(LAX)-SYD; i.e., stops in LAX for refueling, the seats were not available LAX-SYD on the same plane, but were available for JFK-SYD.
Thanks for posting this! How long before departure date you booked these seats?

Apparently the JFK-(LAX)-SYD is married segment that must be booked this way.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:29 am

I stand by my defintion of "very rarely" but obviously others have a different definition.
As another data point, the three times I've tried to grab first or business award seats on Qantas, I've had relatively little difficulty. I can't always get the exact flights I want, and in one case I had to move dates around a bit, but compared to, e.g., redeeming on NZ using *A miles, it was a breeze.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: Executive Platinum

By T-14, you mean 14 days before departure or 14 days after they open? If it is departure, do you have other tickets booked? Thanks.

Originally Posted by jordyn
As another data point, the three times I've tried to grab first or business award seats on Qantas, I've had relatively little difficulty. I can't always get the exact flights I want, and in one case I had to move dates around a bit, but compared to, e.g., redeeming on NZ using *A miles, it was a breeze.
I assume that you used AA miles, so how did you do this? Did you use Expert Flyer or some other tool? Thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:52 pm

Cool

Ive done pretty much one roundtrip a year- always in business or first on qantas- no reason to "pretend the awards don't exist", thats silly.
You have to be flexible and persistent and open to routing and have a little luck.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
A little OT

For this very reason I saved my 100,000 BA miles from Chase and added a few more with various promotions so I can book the flights through BA (well before the inventory opens for AA).
It's a few more miles, but I think it's worth it to get the dates we want (for a cruise - not very flexible with dates). I can always cancel it if AAwards will be available at -330.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.