Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ravi100
I was able to book DFW-SYD-AKL and MEL-LAX-DFW in J back in June 22 when suddenly a whole bunch of J seats showed up on AA.com. My travel dates are in Jan 23.

Since then, other than Y seats I have seen literally nothing on QF. Also on AA.com flights from or to MEL or HKG now return "Something went wrong" so it is not even searchable.

Has anyone managed to book Y or J seats on the new MEL-DFW flight that starts Dec 22?
QF hasn't released much space on USA to Australia. But they are blocking AA from J and F (same as Singapore blocking UA from J and F).
I have generally found for some non-USA inernational flights - QF is still blocking AA but not blocking BA.
When you try to book via AA agent - they see the space and go through the booking and tell you the taxes, but when they try to confirm it is blocked. So the blocking is being done at the final confirmation phase.

Note - this is different than SQ for UA miles - SQ premium codes don't even show in the UA system for long haul. Some show for short distance SQ.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 9:44 am

Why has QF seemingly decided to block AA premium award redemptions? Is this temporary, based on capacity limits, or likely permanent?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: Soon to be free agent...
My one data point is I see premium economy (Z) space available in Expertflyer AND BA.com for LAX-MEL, but when I call in AA tells me that they don't see any award space. So more than just F/J apparently but unlike the previous poster they didn't even SEE the space available.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cova
QF hasn't released much space on USA to Australia. But they are blocking AA from J and F (same as Singapore blocking UA from J and F).
I have generally found for some non-USA international flights - QF is still blocking AA but not blocking BA.
When you try to book via AA agent - they see the space and go through the booking and tell you the taxes, but when they try to confirm it is blocked. So the blocking is being done at the final confirmation phase.

Note - this is different than SQ for UA miles - SQ premium codes don't even show in the UA system for long haul. Some show for short distance SQ.
Originally Posted by JetAway
Why has QF seemingly decided to block AA premium award redemptions? Is this temporary, based on capacity limits, or likely permanent?
Or AAdvantage is blocking AA awards on QF. No one here knows (at least publicly).
When it get to basics awards & frequent flyer miles are a financial transaction between the 2 airlines ffp's.
With QF ffp awards can be available from 353 days out. AA ffp 330 days out. Premium cabin award demand is very high.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 28, 2022 at 12:39 pm Reason: added "demand"
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Or AAdvantage is blocking AA awards on QF. No one here knows (at least publicly).
When it get to basics awards & frequent flyer miles are a financial transaction between the 2 airlines ffp's.
With QF ffp awards can be available from 353 days out. AA ffp 330 days out. Premium cabin award is very high.
Also, if you have Avios (BA ffp) you can access QF awards 353 days out.

In those 23 days (after QF makes then available and before AA can access), seat -esp premium- are gone. Indeed, its usually gone within 24 hrs of release. IMO

I hunted a pair of F RT awards on QF for 2 years...even now years later I cannot post it.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: Soon to be free agent...
For clarification, the space in premium economy that showed in EF and on BA.com, but was not there for the AAgent, was for Feb 2023.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
With QF ffp awards can be available from 353 days out. AA ffp 330 days out. Premium cabin award demand is very high.
I think it is QF blocking. AA agents can go through the booking process (they see U space and can calculate the taxes). The agent believes it is available.
But when they confirm with QF - it gets rejected. That tells me QF is blocking.
I think the issue is QF isn't getting enough for it.

Yes - AA available is 30 days after available on QF - but I have seen U on a flight from LAX to MEL for example in Expertflyer - but not available on AA.
Example of what I was l looking for.

SIN to SYD
Y is 30K oneway
J is 40K oneway

BA charges 60K oneway and QF is high too.

In this case, U was available - got alerts from expert flyer.
Checked AA.com and also called. Did not show on AA.com but did show on Expertflyer and AA agent could book it and calculate taxes.

The flight I was looking for had 6 U seats available - but nothing for AA.
Was available from BA.

AA was offering on one of the days I looking for a routing of SIN to PER to SYD. With 7 hour connect from 1am to 8 am.
But this routing did not show on QF or BA. They both offered the non-stop.

Then QF cancelled all rewards on this route for the 6 days I was looking.

Then a few days later, QF re-added the flights (but not as many seats) on QF and BA sites, but still not AA.
But a day later - QF released 2U seats to AA (day after I wanted) on the nonstop SIN-SYD on the second flight of the day.
And it showed on AA.com and I booked.

Net - AA agents can only book if it shows on AA.com.

Clearly - this is being manally manipulated by QF.

I have had alerts on all these flights - and I have been watching it closely.

I just think QF doesn't want to release it for 40K AA miles, or otherwise holding back for their flyers.

Domestic flights within Australia are widely available on AA.com and on BA - for a short flight - BA is much cheaper.

Before Covid - when their was U space on QF or Expertflyer - is was also availble to AA. Of course AA only posts 11 months in advance.

But have not seen any space on AA on the LAX-SYD - AA wants you to spend for a one way on AA metal - 175K, 375K or as much as 480K oneway. Now hard to get the 175K level. Should only be 80K - if QF opened space to AA.

I view myself as sort of an expert on QF rewards - having booked QF rewards yearly in F or J (mostly F years back) for the past 32 years.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I cannot see that QF cares how much AA charges its members for award tickets, QF will be charging AA based on what has been agreed between the airlines, not based on what AA charges its members
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS AA
I also ran into several occasions when U space was available on ExpertFlyer, BA could book it, but AA, AS and CX did not see the availability. Even QF did not offer such space as Classic Reward.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Tried booking an intra-Australia award flight on aa.com tonight -- the award showed up as available, but when I selected it and hit "continue" the site took me to a message saying "the flight or fare you selected is no longer available," and then showed me the same available award. Round and 'round in circles for 3 or 4 four rounds; had I not read this thread I might have given up. Instead, after double-checking availability on ExpertFlyer, I called AA Reservations, and they were able to book it for me successfully. It took a couple more hours for the QF confirmation to come through, and based on this thread I half-expected the "request" to be cancelled. But it was successful in the end, and I'm a happy camper tonight Thanks for all of the tips above.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 9:51 am

Is upgrading economy awards possible?

Hello again: I am new-ish to AA awards and completely new to QF. I booked one ticket successfully, but am continuing to look at redeeming AA miles for various other domestic flights that will be part of my upcoming trip to Australia, My question is, if I succeed in booking an economy award with AA miles now, and at later time business award availability opens up, will there be anyway (theoretically) to a business award, either through additional AA miles or even cash? I might also have some Qantas points available (via transfer from American Express). My issue is that I need a second business class seat on the same flight where I already obtained the business award, but I'm not sure of the likelihood of more business award space opening up, and am wondering if I should grab an economy award if/when I see one. Flight is in March. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share!
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you hold an eceonomy award and business availability opens up, can just change it by phoning up. The agent will process a refund of the existing award & texes and then charge taxes for new booking and issue the business awaed

If you want an award to Australia, I woukd take what is available and work on changing it later as long as you are prepared to fly economy class if needed

Also keep an eye out for Premium Economy availability

Do not hold too much hope for a business award to materialise - they are rare
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is upgrading economy awards possible?

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Hello again: I am new-ish to AA awards and completely new to QF. I booked one ticket successfully, but am continuing to look at redeeming AA miles for various other domestic flights that will be part of my upcoming trip to Australia, My question is, if I succeed in booking an economy award with AA miles now, and at later time business award availability opens up, will there be anyway (theoretically) to a business award, either through additional AA miles or even cash? I might also have some Qantas points available (via transfer from American Express). My issue is that I need a second business class seat on the same flight where I already obtained the business award, but I'm not sure of the likelihood of more business award space opening up, and am wondering if I should grab an economy award if/when I see one. Flight is in March. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share!
You cannot upgrade an AA economy award on QF with AA miles, QF ff points or cash. What you would be doing is getting an AA business award and cancelling the AA economy award. Unsure if AA offer QF premium economy award. PE is a separate class; not MCE.

For revenue bookings QF manage booking can show an "bid now upgrade" button. But 99% sure does not apply to awards. https://www.qantas.com/au/en/manage-...w-upgrade.html

Another business class award may/may not be offered. Most likley not. No one knows. QF may have already allocated all the award seat on that flight. QF will fly with unoccupied first/bus/PE seats. Not just fill them with awards - upgraders. If you find an economy or PE award just grab it immediately before some one else does. Can be cancelled.

If both of you want to fly on the same day or days close consider other USA departure airports and AU destination airports. Too many people just look for LAX-SYD. Need to be flexible
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:53 pm

You cannot upgrade an AA economy award on QF with AA miles, QF ff points or cash. What you would be doing is getting an AA business award and cancelling the AA economy award
Thanks so much for the quick reply and advice -- very helpful. Luckily this is only for a domestic flight within Australia, so we will manage to both be on it one way or another, but this helps me to better understand the options. Thank you!
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Thanks so much for the quick reply and advice -- very helpful. Luckily this is only for a domestic flight within Australia, so we will manage to both be on it one way or another, but this helps me to better understand the options. Thank you!
For AU domestic flights best to consider the award cost vs cash price on QF, Virgin Australia VA (UA & QR ff partner) and even Jetstar JQ and REX (depending on route). The zone based AA sAAver awards good value on long/expensive AU flights but poor value on shorter AU flights.
All QF tickets include checked bags. QF business class or OWS OWE status will get you lounge access, where available.
ZenFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.