Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am not sure what the agent was thinking - the refund has nothing to do with Qantas, it is purely for AA to perform the refund. Have you completed the refund request form?
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, QF
First class award on QF available on Expert Flyer and BA but not on AA

I have found availability for a first class award on QF about a month out, and BA also shows it available, but AA does not. Called agent at AA and they do not see it either. Any suggestions form the experts on how to book it/ticket it? Many thanks and Happy holidays to all!
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by qgpv
I have found availability for a first class award on QF about a month out, and BA also shows it available, but AA does not. Called agent at AA and they do not see it either. Any suggestions form the experts on how to book it/ticket it? Many thanks and Happy holidays to all!
no idea if this works with QF but on some airlines in this scenario, folks have had some luck calling foreign (especially asia) call centers, though not a silver bullet
Old Dec 28, 2023, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, QF
Thanks. I tried to call the Australian desk (answered from Manila), no luck with them either.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:02 pm

Are people having any luck finding J or F seats out there to book, or is it completely dried up?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by masamune
Are people having any luck finding J or F seats out there to book, or is it completely dried up?
Sure, lots of F and F seats out there.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:03 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
I finally got some spare time open this year for travel and thought I'd go to a few destinations in SE Asia. Found nothing in J whole year - I avoid BA and Fiji A330 seats.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Plenty of business availability on routes that I wanted to book - it does depend on the route and date as to how much availability there is. There are very few routes with 1st class and suspect that that is hard to find
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:56 pm

Agreed. It is difficult and multiple seats are even more difficult, but some do exist. AA has also been getting a bit better with it's mileage pricing on it's SYD flight.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Ross0
Agreed. It is difficult and multiple seats are even more difficult, but some do exist. AA has also been getting a bit better with it's mileage pricing on it's SYD flight.
I am not seeing anything available for transpacific.

I did end up doing just that and going with AA and booked J for 86.5k routing XXX-LAX-SYD.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:22 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
QF Phantom Availability

Ugh, so frustrated. Looking a Biz award ticket from HND-SYD on QF. AA.com shows availability on several days, errors out when trying to book. EXP line sees the space too but notes that it comes back 'unconfirmed' from QF. Said they will send a note to the liaison but combined with the broader access to partner space (No QR seats even when available through AS, for example) I'm just beyond annoyed now.

Anything else that can be done to try and fix this?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:31 am

Getting premium availability on QF anywhere using AA miles is a near impossibility. Not sure what is going on.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:16 am

There was fairly decent run of availability for a year or so, even bookable J and F at times. If you didn't mind traveling in the Australian winter.

Seems like whenever AA enters or resumes an international market, partner availability dries up to nothing. Except BA of course.

The Phantom availability problem, AA hasn't cared enough to fix it in the past decade. Or perhaps the IT limitations are too severe. Sadly, don't see that special feature changing too much.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is domestic J that scarce with QF? Im trying to add ADL-SYD to a Darwin-ADL reservation, but the second segment is only available in Y. Business has 8/12 seats open and it's in two days. I checked flights for today and tomorrow, most are wide-open in J, but no award space for partners. Will they just let it go out empty instead of opening it for partner awards? So frustrating. And Im sure at the gate in ADL, the agent won't know Im on a business class award from DRW-ADL-SYD, even if Im ticketed in Y waiting for a J seat to open (which is open).
Old Apr 6, 2024, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
They let it go with empty seats. They sell upgrades to revenue tickets, not that cheap.

it would be a mixed cabin award , one y segment, one J segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.