FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1122822-aa-miles-awards-using-redeeming-aa-miles-qantas-qf-related-consolidated.html)

TigerFan55 Jan 2, 2015 11:52 am

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

My company is going to buy me a LAX - MEL nonstop for work in a couple of weeks. Assuming they buy me an upgradable fare, is there anything I can do with it. I'm OW Emerald and have 750k+ miles.

Anyone have any ideas?

JonNYC Jan 2, 2015 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by TigerFan55 (Post 24089166)
My company is going to buy me a LAX - MEL nonstop for work in a couple of weeks. Assuming they buy me an upgradable fare, is there anything I can do with it. I'm OW Emerald and have 750k+ miles.

Anyone have any ideas?

Nothing can be done w/ AAdvantage miles regardless of if it's ticketed as AA or QF flight.

Now's the time to tell them they must buy you QF premium economy.

TigerFan55 Jan 2, 2015 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 24089246)
Nothing can be done w/ AAdvantage miles regardless of if it's ticketed as AA or QF flight.

Can I buy up to Premium Economy if they buy me economy? Does being OneWorld Emerald do anything for me?

Mwenenzi Jan 2, 2015 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by TigerFan55 (Post 24089445)

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 24089246)

Originally Posted by TigerFan55 (Post 24089166)

Anyone have any ideas?

Can I buy up to Premium Economy if they buy me economy? Does being OneWorld Emerald do anything for me?

Not directly with Qantas, if a TA is involved. You will need to talk to your companies travel agent. If its the AA flight number (codeshare) you cannot as AA does not sell PE. UA, DL & Virgin Australia also fly LAX-SYD and UA LAX-MEL.

OWE may get you free seat selection, but not 100% sure.

tt7 Jan 2, 2015 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 24089514)
If its the AA flight number (codeshare) you cannot as AA does not sell PE.

OWE may get you free seat selection, but not 100% sure.

Although that used to be the case, it is no longer so (though there may not be much availability). I flew MEL-SYD-DFW-TPA-DFW-SYD-MEL last month on a wholly AA-coded, AA-issued PE ticket.

As a OWE, the OP should have access to better/free seat selection.

Dave Noble Jan 2, 2015 8:05 pm

AA does indeed seem to have W class available on QF now for paid tickets and also offers various W fares, however it does't help the poster looking to upgrade seemingly using miles

If looking to pay in cash, assuming it is a normal published fare, he should be able to pay the difference between the economy fare and the premium economy fare as long as the fare allows changes though could be as much as around $1000 each way

GloverParker Jan 4, 2015 6:10 pm

Time of loading

Has anyone had any experience with the actual time of day AA makes QF award seats available? Is it 330 days at time of departure in Central time exactly? Or is it a file load that happens at midnight? Something else?

bmchris Jan 9, 2015 1:09 pm

Snagged 2 F tix in February on SYD-DFW last night. They also had 2 J tix available. Those J's were gone by the morning.

tng11 Jan 14, 2015 5:03 pm

Just released a LAX-SYD F seat for Dec 9 if anyone needs it!

tng11 Jan 18, 2015 10:28 am

Just wanted to report back with my absolutely agonizing experience with booking QF F with AA miles:

I had been scoping out US QF F availability for mid-December for the last few weeks. Each day I kept on checking and watched as the inventory dwindled slowly, and all that was left was a solitary LAX-MEL seat on the 15th. Crossed my fingers and hoped it didn't disappear when the booking window for AA opened.

At a few seconds past midnight on the 18th (today), I saw the seat available on AA.com, but it would error out if I clicked it on the schedule citing that it was more than 331 days out. I found a way to get it to display by adding the connectors from YYZ. The problem was actually booking it - it would give me an error of the flight being unavailable each time I clicked through. Called to no avail almost every 30 minutes, was told there wasn't any availability.

A glimmer of hope came when I could click through and got through the passenger information page and the confirmation screen to confirm the hold. Except, the system would error out after that screen. :mad: This game went on for about 9 hours - I tried almost every 5 or 10 minutes, eventually I was so tired I took short 30 minute naps at my desk and hoped no one had nabbed the seat in the interim.

Finally after (probably no fewer than 100 attempts) - the click through worked at about 12:15pm and thankfully, I secured the only ex-LAX QF F seat to be available to AA during the peak OZ summer season. :D

I think I'm about to go insane.

TL;DR: I spent 12 hours at my computer constantly hitting refresh and calling AA to secure one measly F seat.

SFO777 Jan 18, 2015 11:01 am

Originally Posted by tng11 (Post 24189143)
Just wanted to report back with my absolutely agonizing experience with booking QF F with AA miles:
I had been scoping out US QF F availability for mid-December for the last few weeks. Each day I kept on checking and watched as the inventory dwindled slowly, and all that was left was a solitary LAX-MEL seat on the 15th. Crossed my fingers and hoped it didn't disappear when the booking window for AA opened.
At a few seconds past midnight on the 18th (today), I saw the seat available on AA.com, but it would error out if I clicked it on the schedule citing that it was more than 331 days out. I found a way to get it to display by adding the connectors from YYZ. The problem was actually booking it - it would give me an error of the flight being unavailable each time I clicked through. Called to no avail almost every 30 minutes, was told there wasn't any availability.
A glimmer of hope came when I could click through and got through the passenger information page and the confirmation screen to confirm the hold. Except, the system would error out after that screen. :mad: This game went on for about 9 hours - I tried almost every 5 or 10 minutes, eventually I was so tired I took short 30 minute naps at my desk and hoped no one had nabbed the seat in the interim.
Finally after (probably no fewer than 100 attempts) - the click through worked at about 12:15pm and thankfully, I secured the only ex-LAX QF F seat to be available to AA during the peak OZ summer season. :D
I think I'm about to go insane.
TL;DR: I spent 12 hours at my computer constantly hitting refresh and calling AA to secure one measly F seat.

Yikes, what a ridiculous ordeal just to book a flight.

I had my own AA.com QF odyssey as well. I had originally booked 2 QF First seats on BA.com (150K each). On the (misguided) assumption that 11 months out, cancelled First award seats would immediate go back into inventory, I cancelled my BA booking. Well, the seats did not go back into inventory immediately and I wasted a couple of hours over the next couple of days checking and rechecking. No idea if they are still not back or someone else scooped them up.

In the end, we had to change our travel dates and I rebooked QF First seats just before Christmas on BA.com. Older and wiser, I am not going to try the cancel/rebook trick this time and will just grudgingly accept the BA price. FWIW, I saved miles on the return booked SQ A380 Suites all the (circuitous) way home AKL-SIN-NRT-LAX for only 119,000 per person.

tng11 Jan 18, 2015 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 24189307)
Yikes, what a ridiculous ordeal just to book a flight.

I had my own AA.com QF odyssey as well. I had originally booked 2 QF First seats on BA.com (150K each). On the (misguided) assumption that 11 months out, cancelled First award seats would immediate go back into inventory, I cancelled my BA booking. Well, the seats did not go back into inventory immediately and I wasted a couple of hours over the next couple of days checking and rechecking. No idea if they are still not back or someone else scooped them up.

In the end, we had to change our travel dates and I rebooked QF First seats just before Christmas on BA.com. Older and wiser, I am not going to try the cancel/rebook trick this time and will just grudgingly accept the BA price. FWIW, I saved miles on the return booked SQ A380 Suites all the (circuitous) way home AKL-SIN-NRT-LAX for only 119,000 per person.

Great minds think alike. ^ I have AKL-SIN-FRA-JFK booked in SQ Suites for the return, and opted to break it up for a few days in SIN as I feel like 34 hours of Suites consecutively could be too much of a good thing.

Plan B was to fly CX or to go through Europe and do LHR-DXB-MEL in QF F. That would have been a heck of a lot more expensive and twice as long a journey. Going with BA to book this seat would have been cost me upwards of 200K Avios to get to NZ plus a few hundred more in charges. So hence all the effort I put into nailing this seat down.

IMH Jan 18, 2015 12:31 pm

At a few seconds past midnight [...] I saw the seat available on AA.com, but it would error out if I clicked it [...]

[...] the click through worked at about 12:15pm

That's standard and has been reported before, e.g. here. Still frustrating, of course.

TL;DR: I spent 12 hours [...] to secure one measly F seat.

Measly?!? Once you take the flight I'll be very surprised if you regret the effort you put in.

tng11 Jan 18, 2015 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by IMH (Post 24189760)
That's standard and has been reported before, e.g. here. Still frustrating, of course.

Lesson learned - should have read the entire thread. Though I would have still kept myself up anyways trying to get that seat as I bet there were a few others trying to nab that seat as well.

Measly?!? Once you take the flight I'll be very surprised if you regret the effort you put in.
Oh, I didn't mean to diminish QF F in any way. I very much loved my MEL-DXB-LHR flight earlier this year - the hard product is one of my favourites, just that the soft product is inconsistent. It was well worth the effort for me considering I'm saving a whole heap of miles and that this flight is going to be the easiest on the body getting from the US to OZ.

bmchris Jan 23, 2015 7:18 am

I saw another First Class P seat from SYD-DFW mid Feb, and put a hold on it just in case I want to switch a few days earlier. Seats seem to be coming up sporadically. Set your EF alerts!