Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 22, 19, 1:30 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:

QF releases their awards 355 days out to QF FFs, so at the 331 days AA uses for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.
2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas. 2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.


Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it.[/QUOTE] This will not be allowed in this forum either.


Qantas Routes
SYD to LAX, SFO, JFK(via LAX), DFW, HNL and YVR*
BNE to LAX, SFO** and ORD**
MEL to LAX and SFO
* Seasonable
**BNE ORD from 20 April 2020
**BNE SFO from 5 February 2020

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 has first class.
SYD SFO and SYD HNL have the B747, but they will be withdrawn from those routes by the end of 2019. SYD YVR also has the B747. All of the 7 remaining QF B747ís are due to be retired by mid 2020.

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread.

Updated 20 May 2016 - JDiver
Updated 23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 2, 15, 12:52 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Programs: US CP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Posts: 19
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

My company is going to buy me a LAX - MEL nonstop for work in a couple of weeks. Assuming they buy me an upgradable fare, is there anything I can do with it. I'm OW Emerald and have 750k+ miles.

Anyone have any ideas?
TigerFan55 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 1:04 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,654
Originally Posted by TigerFan55 View Post
My company is going to buy me a LAX - MEL nonstop for work in a couple of weeks. Assuming they buy me an upgradable fare, is there anything I can do with it. I'm OW Emerald and have 750k+ miles.

Anyone have any ideas?
Nothing can be done w/ AAdvantage miles regardless of if it's ticketed as AA or QF flight.

Now's the time to tell them they must buy you QF premium economy.
JonNYC is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 1:44 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Programs: US CP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Nothing can be done w/ AAdvantage miles regardless of if it's ticketed as AA or QF flight.

Now's the time to tell them they must buy you QF premium economy.
Can I buy up to Premium Economy if they buy me economy? Does being OneWorld Emerald do anything for me?
TigerFan55 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 1:53 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,910
Originally Posted by TigerFan55 View Post
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Originally Posted by TigerFan55 View Post
My company is going to buy me a LAX - MEL nonstop for work in a couple of weeks. Assuming they buy me an upgradable fare, is there anything I can do with it. I'm OW Emerald and have 750k+ miles.

Anyone have any ideas?
Nothing can be done w/ AAdvantage miles regardless of if it's ticketed as AA or QF flight.

Now's the time to tell them they must buy you QF premium economy.
Can I buy up to Premium Economy if they buy me economy? Does being OneWorld Emerald do anything for me?
Not directly with Qantas, if a TA is involved. You will need to talk to your companies travel agent. If its the AA flight number (codeshare) you cannot as AA does not sell PE. UA, DL & Virgin Australia also fly LAX-SYD and UA LAX-MEL.

OWE may get you free seat selection, but not 100% sure.
Marsh11 likes this.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 8:57 pm
  #5  
tt7
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MEL
Posts: 2,435
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
If its the AA flight number (codeshare) you cannot as AA does not sell PE.

OWE may get you free seat selection, but not 100% sure.
Although that used to be the case, it is no longer so (though there may not be much availability). I flew MEL-SYD-DFW-TPA-DFW-SYD-MEL last month on a wholly AA-coded, AA-issued PE ticket.

As a OWE, the OP should have access to better/free seat selection.
tt7 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 9:05 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 40,468
AA does indeed seem to have W class available on QF now for paid tickets and also offers various W fares, however it does't help the poster looking to upgrade seemingly using miles

If looking to pay in cash, assuming it is a normal published fare, he should be able to pay the difference between the economy fare and the premium economy fare as long as the fare allows changes though could be as much as around $1000 each way

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 2, 15 at 9:10 pm
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jan 4, 15, 7:10 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Posts: 365
Time of loading

Has anyone had any experience with the actual time of day AA makes QF award seats available? Is it 330 days at time of departure in Central time exactly? Or is it a file load that happens at midnight? Something else?
GloverParker is offline  
Old Jan 9, 15, 2:09 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,370
Snagged 2 F tix in February on SYD-DFW last night. They also had 2 J tix available. Those J's were gone by the morning.
bmchris is offline  
Old Jan 14, 15, 6:03 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: YYZ
Posts: 1,655
Just released a LAX-SYD F seat for Dec 9 if anyone needs it!
tng11 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 15, 11:28 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: YYZ
Posts: 1,655
Just wanted to report back with my absolutely agonizing experience with booking QF F with AA miles:

I had been scoping out US QF F availability for mid-December for the last few weeks. Each day I kept on checking and watched as the inventory dwindled slowly, and all that was left was a solitary LAX-MEL seat on the 15th. Crossed my fingers and hoped it didn't disappear when the booking window for AA opened.

At a few seconds past midnight on the 18th (today), I saw the seat available on AA.com, but it would error out if I clicked it on the schedule citing that it was more than 331 days out. I found a way to get it to display by adding the connectors from YYZ. The problem was actually booking it - it would give me an error of the flight being unavailable each time I clicked through. Called to no avail almost every 30 minutes, was told there wasn't any availability.

A glimmer of hope came when I could click through and got through the passenger information page and the confirmation screen to confirm the hold. Except, the system would error out after that screen. This game went on for about 9 hours - I tried almost every 5 or 10 minutes, eventually I was so tired I took short 30 minute naps at my desk and hoped no one had nabbed the seat in the interim.

Finally after (probably no fewer than 100 attempts) - the click through worked at about 12:15pm and thankfully, I secured the only ex-LAX QF F seat to be available to AA during the peak OZ summer season.

I think I'm about to go insane.

TL;DR: I spent 12 hours at my computer constantly hitting refresh and calling AA to secure one measly F seat.
Marsh11 likes this.
tng11 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 15, 12:01 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX-SNA
Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Posts: 19,275
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Just wanted to report back with my absolutely agonizing experience with booking QF F with AA miles:
I had been scoping out US QF F availability for mid-December for the last few weeks. Each day I kept on checking and watched as the inventory dwindled slowly, and all that was left was a solitary LAX-MEL seat on the 15th. Crossed my fingers and hoped it didn't disappear when the booking window for AA opened.
At a few seconds past midnight on the 18th (today), I saw the seat available on AA.com, but it would error out if I clicked it on the schedule citing that it was more than 331 days out. I found a way to get it to display by adding the connectors from YYZ. The problem was actually booking it - it would give me an error of the flight being unavailable each time I clicked through. Called to no avail almost every 30 minutes, was told there wasn't any availability.
A glimmer of hope came when I could click through and got through the passenger information page and the confirmation screen to confirm the hold. Except, the system would error out after that screen. This game went on for about 9 hours - I tried almost every 5 or 10 minutes, eventually I was so tired I took short 30 minute naps at my desk and hoped no one had nabbed the seat in the interim.
Finally after (probably no fewer than 100 attempts) - the click through worked at about 12:15pm and thankfully, I secured the only ex-LAX QF F seat to be available to AA during the peak OZ summer season.
I think I'm about to go insane.
TL;DR: I spent 12 hours at my computer constantly hitting refresh and calling AA to secure one measly F seat.
Yikes, what a ridiculous ordeal just to book a flight.

I had my own AA.com QF odyssey as well. I had originally booked 2 QF First seats on BA.com (150K each). On the (misguided) assumption that 11 months out, cancelled First award seats would immediate go back into inventory, I cancelled my BA booking. Well, the seats did not go back into inventory immediately and I wasted a couple of hours over the next couple of days checking and rechecking. No idea if they are still not back or someone else scooped them up.

In the end, we had to change our travel dates and I rebooked QF First seats just before Christmas on BA.com. Older and wiser, I am not going to try the cancel/rebook trick this time and will just grudgingly accept the BA price. FWIW, I saved miles on the return booked SQ A380 Suites all the (circuitous) way home AKL-SIN-NRT-LAX for only 119,000 per person.
Marsh11 likes this.
SFO777 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 15, 1:17 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: YYZ
Posts: 1,655
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Yikes, what a ridiculous ordeal just to book a flight.

I had my own AA.com QF odyssey as well. I had originally booked 2 QF First seats on BA.com (150K each). On the (misguided) assumption that 11 months out, cancelled First award seats would immediate go back into inventory, I cancelled my BA booking. Well, the seats did not go back into inventory immediately and I wasted a couple of hours over the next couple of days checking and rechecking. No idea if they are still not back or someone else scooped them up.

In the end, we had to change our travel dates and I rebooked QF First seats just before Christmas on BA.com. Older and wiser, I am not going to try the cancel/rebook trick this time and will just grudgingly accept the BA price. FWIW, I saved miles on the return booked SQ A380 Suites all the (circuitous) way home AKL-SIN-NRT-LAX for only 119,000 per person.
Great minds think alike. ^ I have AKL-SIN-FRA-JFK booked in SQ Suites for the return, and opted to break it up for a few days in SIN as I feel like 34 hours of Suites consecutively could be too much of a good thing.

Plan B was to fly CX or to go through Europe and do LHR-DXB-MEL in QF F. That would have been a heck of a lot more expensive and twice as long a journey. Going with BA to book this seat would have been cost me upwards of 200K Avios to get to NZ plus a few hundred more in charges. So hence all the effort I put into nailing this seat down.
tng11 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 15, 1:31 pm
  #13  
IMH
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Programs: BA Gold, Accor & IHG Plat, MeliŠ & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
Posts: 4,838
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
At a few seconds past midnight [...] I saw the seat available on AA.com, but it would error out if I clicked it [...]

[...] the click through worked at about 12:15pm
That's standard and has been reported before, e.g. here. Still frustrating, of course.

Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
TL;DR: I spent 12 hours [...] to secure one measly F seat.
Measly?!? Once you take the flight I'll be very surprised if you regret the effort you put in.
IMH is offline  
Old Jan 18, 15, 4:08 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: YYZ
Posts: 1,655
Originally Posted by IMH View Post
That's standard and has been reported before, e.g. here. Still frustrating, of course.
Lesson learned - should have read the entire thread. Though I would have still kept myself up anyways trying to get that seat as I bet there were a few others trying to nab that seat as well.

Measly?!? Once you take the flight I'll be very surprised if you regret the effort you put in.
Oh, I didn't mean to diminish QF F in any way. I very much loved my MEL-DXB-LHR flight earlier this year - the hard product is one of my favourites, just that the soft product is inconsistent. It was well worth the effort for me considering I'm saving a whole heap of miles and that this flight is going to be the easiest on the body getting from the US to OZ.
tng11 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 15, 8:18 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,370
I saw another First Class P seat from SYD-DFW mid Feb, and put a hold on it just in case I want to switch a few days earlier. Seats seem to be coming up sporadically. Set your EF alerts!
bmchris is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: