Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 5:12 am

Passing this on in case anyone can use it.

As of five minutes ago, there's a LAX-SYD F award showing up on AA's calendar for TODAY (Qantas A380). Catch is, 1030AM departure, not tonight. In this day of extra boarding requirements and covid tests, not sure how possible that is. Maybe for someone close to the airport. Seems odd though to be being made available this close to departure.

There's also a handful of F awards showing available in June however, via LAX-MEL. I nabbed one of those, LAX-BNE. Trading in my Business Award for this one. 🙂

The Qantas J and F awards are out there occasionally. You just have to stalk frequently and be willing to position.
Old May 4, 2022, 5:56 am

After two months of manually searching each evening, I did score a Nov trip. DFW-LAX-MEL, then MEL-LAX-SFO-DFW, with the mini Cali hop in AS coach. I had one choice for the outbound day (and it has a 14 hr all-day layover in LAX) and I had two choices of return dates though one was way longer than the other. I booked it all under 1 PNR (two people, round trip). I set a couple hundred AA alerts and none have triggered for 3 months. I had one QF alert trigger for DFW-SYD but the seats didn't show on AA.

Now I hope to (1) reduce the 14 hr outbound layover, (2) cut the LAX-SFO hop and go LAX-DFW on a red-eye in coach, and (3) see if a AKL-LAX might open up instead (or SYD-DFW). I'm afraid to make any changes online and assuming a 2-hour phone hold time when/if I do find availability for the changes I'd like to make.

Good luck if you're also searching!
Old May 4, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Passing this on in case anyone can use it.

As of five minutes ago, there's a LAX-SYD F award showing up on AA's calendar for TODAY (Qantas A380). Catch is, 1030AM departure, not tonight. In this day of extra boarding requirements and covid tests, not sure how possible that is. Maybe for someone close to the airport. Seems odd though to be being made available this close to departure.

There's also a handful of F awards showing available in June however, via LAX-MEL. I nabbed one of those, LAX-BNE. Trading in my Business Award for this one. 🙂

The Qantas J and F awards are out there occasionally. You just have to stalk frequently and be willing to position.
Wow no way. I have been looking everyday. Today that would be insane to go such short notice, wish I could.

But June i would be all over. I dont see a single thing ever in F or J. I didnt realize MEL had F.. I thought it was a 789 not a 380.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Wow no way. I have been looking everyday. Today that would be insane to go such short notice, wish I could.

But June i would be all over. I dont see a single thing ever in F or J. I didnt realize MEL had F.. I thought it was a 789 not a 380.
On a quick glance, it looks like F awards are still available on the 6th, 8th, and 13th. I'm actually pretty shocked they are still there.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
On a quick glance, it looks like F awards are still available on the 6th, 8th, and 13th. I'm actually pretty shocked they are still there.
Wow crazy, I see it. Booking now just hoping its not that Glitch fare that comes back and always says "choose a new fare". Used to happen all the time with QF F and also is happening again to me right now actually trying to go DOH-ZRH-LHR on QR to get the ex CX 777's..
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:39 pm

Award Travel on partner Qantas in Business/First Class

I'm having issues trying to book an award ticket from the US to Australia in business or first class. Is this a policy or partnership agreement issue? I have been planning this trip with the assumption that I would be able to fly with a lie flat bed!!!
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tina Richerson
I'm having issues trying to book an award ticket from the US to Australia in business or first class. Is this a policy or partnership agreement issue? I have been planning this trip with the assumption that I would be able to fly with a lie flat bed!!!
You need to be more specific about the “issues” you are having.
These types of awards are very, very difficult to find.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:17 pm

So I searched for a trip from Phoenix to several cities in Australia in August indicating that I wanted to redeem miles. The results only showed main cabin. I called reservations and they were not able to find availability in business or first either.
This is why I wonder if it is just impossible to redeem AAdvantage points for business or first when part of the trip is on Qantas.
I'm not sure if that's enough information???
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: QF LTG
So I searched for a trip from Phoenix to several cities in Australia in August indicating that I wanted to redeem miles. The results only showed main cabin. I called reservations and they were not able to find availability in business or first either.
This is why I wonder if it is just impossible to redeem AAdvantage points for business or first when part of the trip is on Qantas.
You’re way too late to be looking for award seats for August. Should have looked for that around September last year.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tina Richerson welcome to FT

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
You’re way too late to be looking for award seats for August. Should have looked for that around September last year.
Premium cabins AU<---->US have high loads with paying customers. Awards are even more limited than before CV19. HA, UA & DL also fly USA<--->AU

Instead of PHX as the departure airport try LAX SFO DFW and/or another airport not served by QF. And as well as BNE SYD MEL as the destination try for a secondary AU airport, like ADL, HBA, CNS. Married logic awards may be in play. Look for one ways. No advantage in booking returns. You do not need to return from the same AU airport.

Despite the post above late awards are possible, but not probable. Some thing may show a week or so before. QF (and AA) also have premium economy. AA is scheduled to restart flying LAX-SYD late October.
Fiji Airlines (LAX-SYD/MEL) is another possibly (has a dedicated AA forum thread)
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
PbodyPhoto likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
I wouldn't have bet a rubber nickel on this, but there are J awards released occasionally in batches.

Friday mid-afternoon J awards were available in multiple city combos, (LAX/DFW - BNE/SYD/MEL), average about 5-10 awards per month, every month August-February. Or at least that was what was left when I saw them. Even one F award, which I grabbed immediately.

No idea how long they were up for before I stumbled across them, but after I did, it was over very fast. The February awards, at least the maybe 5-7 of them available, were snatched up before I could even go back for a second look at dates 5 minutes later.

The whole thing seemed like it was done and over in the 30 minutes. But it was an exciting and unexpected 30 minutes, actually seeing quite a spread of multiple Qantas J awards available. Quite the unicorn moment.

Last edited by cmtlatitudes; Jun 12, 2022 at 8:23 pm Reason: clarified city combos
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:35 pm

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

When I looked at awards for several months next year, they were between $225K and $450K. I could swing the 225K easily, but I'm set on going in August because it's a milestone birthday, and it's my 7th continent.

Mwenenzi, Thanks for your recommendations, I was dreaming about that lie-flat seat to shorten my recovery time after that long flight, but a shorter duration in main cabin is less taxing than all the flight changes.

cmlatitudes, I will keep an eye out and fingers crossed, maybe something will open up...a miracle cancellation by someone who can't do their trip (hopefully not due to something bad happening to them).

Thanks again!!!
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:41 am

AA Advantage Qward where is Qantas?

Qantas award option has disappeared for booking in any class any destination from sfo , lax after March 31. 2023.

What is going on?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA
Book Qantas Business with AA miles

I can't seem to find business class on Qantas using AA miles or Alaska miles. Is this because Qantas is not accepting biz class booking with partner airline miles or just no award seat availability? I can book economy on QF through AA.com though. Many airlines suspended services and partner award availability, but I couldn't find any relevant info on Qantas... Does anyone know?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by alpharosean
I can't seem to find business class on Qantas using AA miles or Alaska miles. Is this because Qantas is not accepting biz class booking with partner airline miles or just no award seat availability? I can book economy on QF through AA.com though. Many airlines suspended services and partner award availability, but I couldn't find any relevant info on Qantas... Does anyone know?
Airlines decide what seats to make available for award redemptions. Some airlines -- like AA -- will always have award seats available, but might charge a great number of miles for such seats in some circumstances.

Airlines are free to limit the number of award seats they make available on various flights and in various classes to partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.