Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: QFF
Route is AMM-DOH-SIN-MEL-WLG. Was an F award with the first two in J with QR.

Pondering now if they can’t get QR to release the seats if they will refund the 40k miles & waive the fees and litnme ons separate ticket to SIN - there are options with RJ & UL.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:53 am

Ticket number changed twice yesterday - once to 081 stock(!) and then to 001. Had a phone call last night from AA senior ticketing liaison officer who fixed up the ticket for me - only to have QF pull the rug slightly with an equipment change on QF36 (SIN-MEL) from A380 to A330 so AA reissued the ticket in J on QF36 and refunded the difference in miles. Flight ticketed shortly thereafter.

Had a call this morning from QF about 15 minutes after checking in at AMM - due to the equipment change they have about 30 pax in J they can't accommodate. Explained I was now at AMM and baggage checked all the way through to NZ. QF state I will need to discuss with pers at SIN airport. QF call centre hold times lengthy.

When it rains it pours, but I note that my QR flight to SIN is booked into D instead of U..
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

081 is/was a QF issued ticket. 001 is AA issued
QF are down an A380 that was damaged during maintenance at SYD on 8 Nov. Several A380 flights have been cancelled - delayed since then. As was SYD-SFO B747 on12 Nov. The A380 SIN-MEL will have been reallocated to a long haul flight.

As the flight is booked in D you may earn ff miles

Please let us know how it works out.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ChasingDaylight
Had a call this morning from QF about 15 minutes after checking in at AMM - due to the equipment change they have about 30 pax in J they can't accommodate. Explained I was now at AMM and baggage checked all the way through to NZ. QF state I will need to discuss with pers at SIN airport. QF call centre hold times lengthy.

When it rains it pours, but I note that my QR flight to SIN is booked into D instead of U..
Especially as you are booked in D and were originally ticketed in F, check EF for alternatives available in F or J. Perhaps SIN-SYD in F connecting to SYD-MEL? Suggest having a list of alternative flights that have availability in hand when you get to QF staff in SIN.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Post from ~ 3 days ago
Originally Posted by ChasingDaylight
<snip>
Flights are due to depart in 30 hours.
Originally Posted by anabolism
Especially as you are booked in D and were originally ticketed in F, check EF for alternatives available in F or J. Perhaps SIN-SYD in F connecting to SYD-MEL? Suggest having a list of alternative flights that have availability in hand when you get to QF staff in SIN.
Flights probably taken now. Was an F award as post above, so not F fare bucket for the award.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Post from ~ 3 days ago

Flights probably taken now. Was an F award as post above, so not F fare bucket for the award.
Thanks, I didn't notice the date. But, yes, it was very obvious that this was originally an F award flight, but that doesn't mean getting accommodated in F on an equipment change and overbook is impossible, especially as it is now a D revenue inventory.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anabolism
Thanks, I didn't notice the date. But, yes, it was very obvious that this was originally an F award flight, but that doesn't mean getting accommodated in F on an equipment change and overbook is impossible, especially as it is now a D revenue inventory.
The person was rebooked and ticketed into business and was refunded the miles - so no reason at all to expect the airline to give a free upgrade to 1st
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The person was rebooked and ticketed into business and was refunded the miles - so no reason at all to expect the airline to give a free upgrade to 1st
When reaccomodating passengers due to operational issues (such as weather, equipment changes, crew problems, etc.) airlines have been known to do so in a higher cabin, especially for people booked into revenue business. That doesn't mean it always happens, nor does it mean there is an expectation of it happening, but it does mean that it can happen. It's more likely to happen when an airport agent is handling the issue, as opposed to a reservations agent. Airport agents typically have more latitude to do such things.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
081 is/was a QF issued ticket. 001 is AA issued
Yeah the initial 081 ticket was QF trying to rectify the equipment change and put me on different flights. AA saw QF36 was still operating so re-issued the ticket for me on that which probably confused QF no end.

AMM-DOH-SIN went fine, great crew on the Dreamliner to DOH, QSuites great to SIN.

Arrived SIN, still on QF36 according to the app as soon as I had wifi, so I went plane-watching for an hour. Bit of a mistake with that one - in that hour QF reissued the ticket on 081 stock, sending me SIN-BNE-AKL-WLG. Found out the hard way at SATS Premier check-in when they asked if I was going SIN-BNE-AKL.... instead of SIN-MEL-WLG. Confusion all around before someone checked and rang ?? (QF?) who advised I'd been reticketed as mentioned via BNE and AKL 35 minutes prior, baggage would be re-tagged. Whoever was on the other end of the phone seemed to have some pull in the reservation system as they were able to throw me straight into window seats to BNE, AKL and WLG (on NZ metal) when I asked. All is well that ended well but got a bit complicated for a while.

Next time I think I'll just go AKL-DOH direct when AA sort things out with QR...
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So SIN-BNE and BNE-AKL on QF bus class? And then AKL-WLG on QF marketed/NZ operated? Or NZ marketed/NZ operated. At least it was not JQ to WLG

Keep the boarding passes. You may be able to get ff credit for the flights depending on the fare booking class.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:16 pm

Correct, SIN-BNE and BNE-AKL both in J on A332, perfectly fine, but not exactly QSuites! AKL-WLG as you've stated first - QF codeshare on NZ metal. Interestingly enough, in SIN I was told that as there isn't any J class domestically, QF had also booked out the seat next to me to provide more room.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All domestic flights in New Zealand with all airlines are economy only. No business class for any domestic flight in NZ. Extra leg room seats best it gets
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:58 pm

I'm aware - think the last J seats left with QF in the late 00's? I raise it due to the fact QF booked out the seat next to me which was appreciated.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Haven't redeemed for a couple of years, but back then, any award availability on a OW airline should/must be available to another OW airline.
Current dilemma = a particular QF flight can be redeemed via QFF but not AAward.
It seems that this previously unwritten? rule has changed.....yes?

Last edited by LukeO9; Nov 30, 2019 at 5:57 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by LukeO9
Haven't redeemed for a couple of years, but back then, any award availability on a OW airline should/must be available to another OW airline.
I'm not aware that there ever was such a rule. It was sometimes the case, but at least for the past 15 years or so, availability can vary.

Originally Posted by LukeO9
Current dilemma = a particular QF flight can be redeemed via QFF but not AAward.
It seems that this previously unwritten? rule has changed.....yes?
My experience for a very long time has been that airlines fairly often make award space available to their own members in excess of what they make available to partners. Just as an example, years ago it used to be very reliable that Cathay Pacific made 2-3 fewer seats per flight available to AA/BA than to Asia Miles.
JonNYC, Mwenenzi and DiamondMile like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.