Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:46 am

I think you are out of luck. They basically do not open up award seats close in like other airlines.

Your only chance in this case is last minute cancellations. I presume you're looking for r/t? That is also a complication. If you need to go, in your shoes, I would book Y, and if someone cancels, then go up to J or F. The more flexible you can be with dates and routings, the better your chances. Though they are extremely slim. Just keep checking a few times a day for cancelations and have a backup plan.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by RyanPerkins
Hey friends, I am looking to book Biz or First from MEL/SYD to anything on the West Coast about 4 weeks out. I am not finding anything on EF on AA or QF metal, and there's not really anything that works on TN of FJ. In your expert opinions, do you think I'm SOL, or will space release closer in?
Its random. Have enough miles to be able to upgrade to F and be flexible with your dates. Ive seen space open up approx 3 weeks before and also 7 days before but its inconsistent. Also dont look for space on AA's site. If something is showing on QF then its available on AA.
RyanPerkins likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris
I think you are out of luck. They basically do not open up award seats close in like other airlines.

Your only chance in this case is last minute cancellations. I presume you're looking for r/t? That is also a complication. If you need to go, in your shoes, I would book Y, and if someone cancels, then go up to J or F. The more flexible you can be with dates and routings, the better your chances. Though they are extremely slim. Just keep checking a few times a day for cancelations and have a backup plan.

Thank you! I appreciate the insight Only need o/w. I'll keep an eye on it for the next few weeks and hope for the best. Cheers!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:40 pm

Biz class award seats DFW to SYD = best way to use AA miles?

I have done some background homework on this but am not sure that I am aware of everything. I want to use AA miles for 3 award seats in business class on Qantas (DFW to SYD). I do not have any specific dates in mind other than it would not be sooner than late 2019.

First part: Is the best way to find award availability by logging into the Qantas site? After that I believe I have to call American Airlines to use my miles for booking (as One World).

Second part: Are the business class awards nearly never released (is it like less often than first class on AA for DFW to OGG)? Do I have a better chance of buying tickets and using miles to upgrade? If so, how does that work (am I on a list or is the upgrade definite)?

I also see a lot of posts about bidding for the upgrade. How often is that really available? Any other options (beside paying full price)?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Cajun Storm
I have done some background homework on this but am not sure that I am aware of everything. I want to use AA miles for 3 award seats in business class on Qantas (DFW to SYD). I do not have any specific dates in mind other than it would not be sooner than late 2019.

First part: Is the best way to find award availability by logging into the Qantas site? After that I believe I have to call American Airlines to use my miles for booking (as One World).

Second part: Are the business class awards nearly never released (is it like less often than first class on AA for DFW to OGG)? Do I have a better chance of buying tickets and using miles to upgrade? If so, how does that work (am I on a list or is the upgrade definite)?

I also see a lot of posts about bidding for the upgrade. How often is that really available? Any other options (beside paying full price)?
When available to partner carriers, QF award seats are bookable with AA miles at aa.com -- no phone call required. But award travel with AAdvantage miles can not be booked prior to T-331, even if the operating carrier makes award seats available earlier.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As you have found, getting premium cabin USA Aust awards is very hard. Getting 3 on the same aircraft will be a magnitude higher.

Phantom QF award's on the AA web site is a know problem. So look at the QF web site first and then phone AA or book on line.

You cannot use AA ff miles to upgrade a QF flight. QF upgrades (with QF points only) are referred to as the QF lottery . Winners are not known until a few hours before or at check in. QF will fly with empty first & business class seats.

Paying the full $$$$ price is only way a business class seat can be guaranteed.

Australia New Zealand AA forum --> AAdvantage award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

QF AA forum -->- AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[/mod hat] As this is about the use of AA miles I will move this thread to the right forum. [/mod hat]
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Assuming you're trying to get on the DFW-SYD nonstop, finding 3 business award seats on the same flight using AA miles will be next to impossible. Even finding 1 or 2 business award seats on any flight from any US gateway to anywhere in Australia on the same day or week is incredibly hard.

If you have AA miles and want to upgrade, then your only option is booking DFW-LAX-SYD on AA metal. But trying to clear 3 upgrades on this flight can be very hard as well. At least if you can be flexible, and pick a off-peak midweek departure in the shoulder season you might at least have a fighting chance.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by guv1976
When available to partner carriers, QF award seats are bookable with AA miles at aa.com -- no phone call required. But award travel with AAdvantage miles can not be booked prior to T-331, even if the operating carrier makes award seats available earlier.

And if you find any QF flights listed on aa.com, listed as business class savers, make sure the actual long-hauls are business class.

AA likes to try to trick people into thinking any itinerary with a short-haul business class segment makes the whole itinerary worth 90k miles each way, even though most of that trip would be in economy.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:59 pm

I found 3 seats (I only need 2) in Business for SFO-MEL QF50, but I call up AA and they swear they can't see anything. Any ideas?

Last edited by the188; Jul 26, 2018 at 6:23 pm
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by the188
I found 3 seats (I only need 2) in Business for SFO-MEL QF50, but I call up AA and they swear they can't see anything. The flight does not even show up on AA's website, paid or award. Any ideas?
Where did you find the availability?

QF releases more award space to its own members than to partner airlines, so it's unfortunately quite possible that those seats aren't bookable using AA miles.
logicalrealist likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by the188
I found 3 seats (I only need 2) in Business for SFO-MEL QF50, but I call up AA and they swear they can't see anything. Any ideas?
QF50 does not exist, and Qantas does not fly SFO-MEL direct.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
QF50 does not exist, and Qantas does not fly SFO-MEL direct.
You need to fire your data provider:
Melbourne (MEL) to San Francisco (SFO) — Wed, Sep 5
Qantas 49Dep: 9:40 pmArr: 7:00 pm14h 20mBoeing 787Economy (O)
San Francisco (SFO) to Melbourne (MEL) — Sun, Oct 14
Qantas 50Dep: 10:00 pmArr: 7:30 am15h 30mBoeing 787Economy (O)

Last edited by 3544quebec; Jul 27, 2018 at 1:25 am
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:40 am

Sorry about the garbage in the previous post - for some reason I am unable to edit it

Relevant non-garbage: San Francisco (SFO) to Melbourne (MEL) Qantas 50Dep: 10:00 pmArr: 7:30 am15h 30mBoeing 787

Last edited by 3544quebec; Jul 27, 2018 at 1:26 am Reason: Worked out how to remove the garbage
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
You need to fire your data provider:
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Sorry about the garbage in the previous post - for some reason I am unable to edit it

Relevant non-garbage: San Francisco (SFO) to Melbourne (MEL) Qantas 50Dep: 10:00 pmArr: 7:30 am15h 30mBoeing 787
Based on a quick search it looks like several data sources have trouble with this flight.

E.g. FlightAware tells me that the last QF50 flight landed four years ago (which was a SYD-AKL flight).

It seems like QF has re-used the flight number for its new SFO-MEL flight, but since QF hasn't operated the new SFO-MEL flight yet, various data sources seem to have issues with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.