Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by goglobalnz
Hi everyone,
I booked tickets for my parents on QF using my miles AKL-KGI via PER ~3 days ago.

I can see the flights on the QF, but no miles have been deducted, and the QF site says no baggage is included (flights all in J).

Is this normal, should I just give it a few more days for tickets to be issued and miles to be deducted?

Thanks
Did you get a confirmation email from AA? You should get both that and a separate email advising that miles were deducted.
When I booked travel on QF using my AA miles that has happened within 2-3 hours.

I'd call to check on the status.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hi everyone,
I booked tickets for my parents on QF using my miles AKL-KGI via PER ~3 days ago.

I can see the flights on the QF, but no miles have been deducted, and the QF site says no baggage is included (flights all in J).

Is this normal, should I just give it a few more days for tickets to be issued and miles to be deducted?

Thanks
if you booked via the AU or NZ number, call back and point out that more than 72 hours have passed and then the agent will contact the ticketing people and get it dealt with
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Hi everyone,

Thanks
What does it say on AA.com when you pull up the reservation? If it isn't "Ticketed" then I would call in.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
What does it say on AA.com when you pull up the reservation? If it isn't "Ticketed" then I would call in.
Thanks I'll call them to get them ticketed (or find out what the issue is).
I didn't get a confirmation email, and they don't show up on AA (just on QF).
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:43 pm

When I search for business/first on Qantas for SYD-DFW during Feb/Mar '18 it shows quite a bit of availability on several days. The availability on most days are on AA flights from SYD-LAX-DFW for business, but no saver awards show up on AA.com for the same dates.

Am I seeing phantom availability? Would I be able to call into AA and book those AA flights even though their website doesn't show availability?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:48 pm

Are you sure it is not returning you an award with SYD-LAX in economy and LAX-DFW in business? ( not to mention that for Feb/Mar '18 it is likely to be phantom availability in the true sense of the word - well and truly from the spirit world)
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:48 pm

hello everybody
I just put on hold tickets on business to Sydney from LAX with Fiji using my AA miles for March 5, 2019.
I was hoping to fly Qantas but I have been looking and looking and could not find anything : (
my question.... should i just go ahead and book these two business seats with Fiji ... or hope and wait for qantas

thank u

Patty
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
If you have two business seats on the same flight already, book it. Two business seats will be difficult to get with Qantas. It is not impossible for two seats to appear, particularly if you are flexible about connecting in SFO or MEL or BNE to get to SYD. Keep searching every so often, since you can change, but it is not likely. If you want to go to Australia and your dates aren't flexible, go ahead and book the seats on Fiji Airways.
PATITA12345 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Are you sure it is not returning you an award with SYD-LAX in economy and LAX-DFW in business? ( not to mention that for Feb/Mar '18 it is likely to be phantom availability in the true sense of the word - well and truly from the spirit world)
No, it is showing business from SYD-LAX and Business from LAX-DFW as a classic award on March 7. Am I missing something here?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by mbush1721
No, it is showing business from SYD-LAX and Business from LAX-DFW as a classic award on March 7. Am I missing something here?
I checked ExpertFlyer for Y and J for the 6th, 7th, and 8th. The only availability was for Y on the 6th, which was wide open. Looks like it's phantom...
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:22 am

Damn. Thanks for checking.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
If you have two business seats on the same flight already, book it. Two business seats will be difficult to get with Qantas. It is not impossible for two seats to appear, particularly if you are flexible about connecting in SFO or MEL or BNE to get to SYD. Keep searching every so often, since you can change, but it is not likely. If you want to go to Australia and your dates aren't flexible, go ahead and book the seats on Fiji Airways.
thank u so much for your response
I looked to fly from SFO and also into MEL but couldn’t find anything around late feb - early March
i will follow your advise and just keep them !
Thanks again !
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:04 am

How did you find availability? I haven't looked into using Fiji Airways as a way to get down under.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:43 pm

Does anyone know how to check Qantas award space on their mobile site? For some reason, when I go to qf’s website on any browser on my iPhone, I don’t see a way to search for classic fight awards.

Thanks
Old May 8, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by mbush1721
How did you find availability? I haven't looked into using Fiji Airways as a way to get down under.
You can see Fiji space using the QF site. It does not show on the BA site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.