Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GVR Bill
I searched on a ceiling fan with light, and it shows as "Home>Lighting>Ceiling fans>Ceiling fans with lights" so I'd assume it will fall under "lighting."
I've not had great success with Home Depot on the extra point categories. Even when items clearly fall into the higher-earning category, I still end up with the usual .5 point.
It's not a huge issue as it's always been things I needed to buy and I prefer ordering online, but it still annoys me and isn't worth the energy to fight for the extra points.
Old May 31, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by steamboatdevil
I have booked five hotels on the Booking.com website and two on the AA specific booking.com site and I have never received a single mile from any stay. I have sent them all proof etc and they send back some language about it taking up to nine months to post and to get back to them then. Two of the stays were a year ago and still no miles. Wasted hours of time trying to get the miles and finally gave up.
If you are missing points for hotel stays that you purchased through www.aadvantageeshopping.com, that redirected you to booking.com because they were offering points through aadvantageshopping, and never received your points, then submit a complaint through the www.aadvantageeshopping.com site (Log on, click on the question mark on the top right, then click contact us, then click Order inquiry or missing AAdvantage miles -> then fill out all the required information). This will open a case, which may take some time to get resolved. Be patient. If you have a legit complaint, and proof, then you should get your points.

If you booked a hotel directly through bookaahotels.com, and never got your points, then contact bookaahotels directly:
[email protected]
(800) 944-0966
(773) 661-4735

I would not reach out to American Airlines directly, as I don't believe they will be able to assist you with either of these issues.

Additionally, for ANY transactions made through bookaahotels.com, or aadvantage shopping, I would recommend taking screenshots or photos with your phone, every step of the way, to prove the amount of points you should be receiving.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by nk15
I received a bunch of miles the other day several months after possible stays, and I am not sure from where, are these from Marriott or from Booking.com, does anyone know which one would fit this pattern?
Could try going to My Account - Recent Transactions on the AA eShopping page to see if there is a match between the miles that are showing there for one or more transactions (which also includes the vendor) and your main AA account.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nk15
I received a bunch of miles the other day several months after possible stays, and I am not sure from where, are these from Marriott or from Booking.com, does anyone know which one would fit this pattern?
I saw the same thing. I believe for me these are past stays that I booked through AAdvantage eShopping portal. I used to complain that Marriott stays I booked through the portal never seemed to post, and when I would submit a missing miles request, I would hear back it took 90 days (or something like that) and I would usually forget about it. I should probably try to figure it all out, but have kind of just moved on. Glad points hit, and too lazy to research what they're for.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 5:37 pm

From May 26-May28 the portal reversed 24 QVC purchases totaling 2575 miles without cause. All items have been received and paid for. I submitted an inquiry but has that happened to anyone else? A bulk removal of purchases like this?

Of course, I noticed none of my Viator tours, completed and paid for were credited.

I'm sure that there is hundreds of dollars worth of Sam's club purchases are missing.

I don't have time or the energy for this nonsense. Can someone recommend another shopping portal that might be more reliable? I used uPromise for years but I can easily tell that this one only credits a fraction of the miles I am owed.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by Marykatesmom
I don't have time or the energy for this nonsense. Can someone recommend another shopping portal that might be more reliable?
Rakuten, although that won't get you AA miles -- either cashback or Amex points. It also has a potential timing disadvantage in that it only makes lump sum payments (of cash or MR points) on a quarterly basis. However the transactions themselves post pretty immediately and reliabily and are easy to track on their site. And when I've had any problems at all the customer service response is speedy and always positive. The Points Guy and other bloggers have writeups if you want to explore further. Ironically Rakuten purchased Cartera not so long ago, but it seems that Rakuten's own interface and staffing has not migrated over to the AA portal.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Marykatesmom
From May 26-May28 the portal reversed 24 QVC purchases totaling 2575 miles without cause. All items have been received and paid for. I submitted an inquiry but has that happened to anyone else? A bulk removal of purchases like this?

Of course, I noticed none of my Viator tours, completed and paid for were credited.

I'm sure that there is hundreds of dollars worth of Sam's club purchases are missing.

I don't have time or the energy for this nonsense. Can someone recommend another shopping portal that might be more reliable? I used uPromise for years but I can easily tell that this one only credits a fraction of the miles I am owed.
1) What was the result of your inquiry about the QVC points being removed?
2) What was the result of your inquiries for your missing Viator tour points?
3) What was the result for your inquiries for specific transactions from Sam's transactions that are missing?

The process for missing points is pretty straight forward to submit online. And if you have proof substantiating your claims, submit your proof, and have patience, in my experience you will get your points.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 3:06 pm

I was happy when I purchased a Traeger 575 Pro last weekend from Ace hardware at 4 points per dollar (already posted).
The same smoker is available today from Bass Pro for 8x …. And $100 less. ☹️
Good way to earn points if anyone is planning on buying a Traeger.

​​​​​​….. It also went on sale today from my local Ace… so the local Ace will let me return (on paper) the online purchase, and re-purchase it from their store for $100 less…but this will result in about 3800 points getting clawed back.

Would you opt for the $100? Or keep the 3800 points?
Old Jun 2, 2023, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
I was happy when I purchased a Traeger 575 Pro last weekend from Ace hardware at 4 points per dollar (already posted).

​​​​​​….. It also went on sale today from my local Ace… so the local Ace will let me return (on paper) the online purchase, and re-purchase it from their store for $100 less…but this will result in about 3800 points getting clawed back.

I would value 3800 LPs at more than $100. How much more is up for debate, but I'd definitely be a buyer at $100.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by WannaTheater

If the 3800 LP are important, then keep it. In my experience the last year, if the miles on Catera are backed out when they void them, but the LP remain.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
Motley Fool terms and conditions on AA eShopping say offer is valid once per year. I signed up in April of 2022 and cancelled before renewing in April 2023. Now it is June and I tried to sign up again for another bonus through AA eShopping portal, but I get to a screen on Fool's website that says I am not qualified for this offer. Does anyone know how long I might have to wait before I can get a new subscription with the shopping portal link?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tommybananas
Motley Fool terms and conditions on AA eShopping say offer is valid once per year. I signed up in April of 2022 and cancelled before renewing in April 2023. Now it is June and I tried to sign up again for another bonus through AA eShopping portal, but I get to a screen on Fool's website that says I am not qualified for this offer. Does anyone know how long I might have to wait before I can get a new subscription with the shopping portal link?
Just sign up with a new email
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
When making a purchase in a foreign currency (in this case @ Marriott, w/ British Pounds), how do they calculate the earnings? Is it the mileage * British Pounds? Do they convert it to dollars before multiplying? Any practical experience would be appreciated.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 1:09 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
When making a purchase in a foreign currency (in this case @ Marriott, w/ British Pounds), how do they calculate the earnings? Is it the mileage * British Pounds? Do they convert it to dollars before multiplying? Any practical experience would be appreciated.
I made a 2 reservations for the Renaissance at LHR back in April clicking through the portal and when the order tracked it was in USD. What conversion rate they used is beyond me but it was fairly close.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
I made a 2 reservations for the Renaissance at LHR back in April clicking through the portal and when the order tracked it was in USD. What conversion rate they used is beyond me but it was fairly close.
I had a stay in London back in December and the stay posted in USD. I remember calculating out the rate and it was fairly close to what it should have been for the dates. Since Bonvoy points are based on USD, I assume the same calculation is used for AA eShopping credit.
Drwaz99 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.