Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JumboJ
Hey Guys,

Anyone have a suggestion of a single flights that would reap 25K EQM with the DBLEQM promotion (ex LAX)? Have any of you previously achieved gold status with a single flight??
Welcome to FT, JumboJ. This is pretty easy homework to do yourself, but since, I'm a nice person - LAX-FRA (via DFW) and return can be bought for $800 or less and gets you to just 25.5K EQM with DBEQM. As Mvoight said, it is a round-trip, but I hope you really meant a roundtrip and weren't expecting one flight to take you somewhere and drop you off without also bringing you back to LAX.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
Of course, you could get LAN KMs by flying AA.
If you don't fly enough of both to make status, then concentrating on either AA or LAN might be the thing to do. After all, you can get LAN awards using AA miles.

There is no single flight that will get you 25K EQM, as there are no bonus mileage single flights that will get you 12500 EQM. Why is a single flight needed?
A roundtrip to Europe could do it. For example LAX-ORD-FCO is 6568 in each direction (I didn't check to see if ORD-FCO is still flying...but there are other options). Yes, I know.. 4 flights, not 1.. But I live in the real world.

Now, regarding GOLD and single flight. Easy to do in a challenge. LAX-LHR, if done on a fare earning more than one point per mile, is over the 5K needed for a challenge, or a discounted roundtrip at .5 EQP per mile. Or.. take a 1.0 EQP per mile fare and get PLT status, with a challenge, for a round trip flight. Or..... take advantage of the Double EQM and fly a roundtrip to anywhere, at almost any fare, as long as it is 12500 miles.
Well, naturally I meant one round trip ticket netting 25k EQM. I don't intend to relocate permanently in order to make AA gold. I should have said one RT ticket. My fault.

The mileage calculator on webflyer is showing LAX to FCO as 12680 RT. Might be a good one. Everything that doesn't book into O or Q is too damn expensive though. I want to do this on the cheap.

Even if I could find one RT that worked, on AA's Elite Qualifications Requirements page online I now see "Member must fly at least four segments on American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection to qualify for AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold status within the qualifying year. ". So, apparently, even if I do make the 25k EQM in one round trip, I still don't qualify.. correct? That is, unless I also make a stop in each direction I suppose.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
Welcome to FT, JumboJ. This is pretty easy homework to do yourself, but since, I'm a nice person - LAX-FRA (via DFW) and return can be bought for $800 or less and gets you to just 25.5K EQM with DBEQM. As Mvoight said, it is a round-trip, but I hope you really meant a roundtrip and weren't expecting one flight to take you somewhere and drop you off without also bringing you back to LAX.
Thanks for taking the time to humor me! I checked LAX-FRA earlier and it came up a little short. I didn't account for the connection in Dallas. Thanks! I'm seeing some reasonable fairs at 633 to 683+, but those book into O or Q, so only netting me .5 EQM per mile. Only other option books to B, at $2287+.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM); BD *G; HH Diamond
That is, unless I also make a stop in each direction I suppose.
Some reports say AA doesn't enforce the four-segment rule.

However, to do it in a single trip, you're going to HAVE to stop anyhow. The two long-hauls available out of LA aren't enough (LAX-NRT;LAX-LHR)

You need to fly 12,500 miles, netting 25,000 EQM.

LAX-FRA is a good one, however, you MUST stop in DFW. LAX-ORD-FRA and back is NOT enough miles- you'll be about 700 EQM short. You can pick LAX-DFW-FRA; LAX-SFO-ORD-FRA; or LAX-DFW-ORD-FRA.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
All AA fares to europe earn miles 1 EQM per mile flown. It's the EQPs which are .5, and they don't matter for this promo.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by StrandedinSC
Some reports say AA doesn't enforce the four-segment rule.

However, to do it in a single trip, you're going to HAVE to stop anyhow. The two long-hauls available out of LA aren't enough (LAX-NRT;LAX-LHR)

You need to fly 12,500 miles, netting 25,000 EQM.

LAX-FRA is a good one, however, you MUST stop in DFW. LAX-ORD-FRA and back is NOT enough miles- you'll be about 700 EQM short. You can pick LAX-DFW-FRA; LAX-SFO-ORD-FRA; or LAX-DFW-ORD-FRA.
Thanks for the help! I'm trying to get an understanding of all the various booking codes and the difference between EQM and EQP. It looks like all flights basically accrue at least one EQM per mile flown.. but not necessarily EQP. I need 25000 EQM, not necessarily 25000 EQP right? So, O and Q fares in fact do work. EQP appears to only be important if I want to challenge, correct? And perhaps I do. Not sure if I'm going to have time to do the 25k seat time or not, as I'm going to be gone for the next few weeks on LAN flights (burning the last of my LANpass KMs). I'll basically have from Nov15-Dec15th to get whatever I'm going to do done.

KD5MDK thanks for helping me clear that distinction up. I had just finally figured that out!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for taking the time to humor me! I checked LAX-FRA earlier and it came up a little short. I didn't account for the connection in Dallas. Thanks! I'm seeing some reasonable fairs at 633 to 683+, but those book into O or Q, so only netting me .5 EQM per mile. Only other option books to B, at $2287+.
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
All AA fares to europe earn miles 1 EQM per mile flown. It's the EQPs which are .5, and they don't matter for this promo.
To state it more accurately for JumboJ's purposes, all AA fares* on AA metal (AA planes) booked via AA website will earn a minimum of 1 EQM regardless of fare class [with DEQM a min of 2]. [KD5MDK, it's not just ones to Europe.] JumboJ, those O and Q fares are fine, you'll still get to your 25.5K with them and with DEQM. I'm getting to 125K with a good share of O and Q fares.

*AA plane tickets bought via hotwire, priceline bidding, or other sort "blind' or hidden booking website that don't earn miles on AA won't of course earn 1 because they earn none.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Plt 2MM
I'm seeing some reasonable fairs at 633 to 683+, but those book into O or Q, so only netting me .5 EQM per mile. Only other option books to B, at $2287+.
The .5 is for EQP, not EQM. So those fares should still be OK for qualifying using miles.

According to FareCompare, LAX-(ORD)-PVG seems like your biggest bang for the buck, though LAX-(JFK)-FCO isn't too much more expensive and will be a little easier on your butt. (You may also have visa issues with PVG.) Cuisine-wise, either is better than FRA IMHO.

(I did a MR to FCO earlier this year before I knew that they were going to do two DEQM deals. Oh, well. I got a got a good couple of meals out of it, a lovely time wandering Rome for a day, and I'll make the 125K. No big loss.)
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Nobody knows. Any guesses here are simply based on what happened last month. Since the last one happened around the first week of the month, I'm assuming that on one is guessing third week this time around, though.

Cheers.
I'm just feeling nervous because my late September flights didn't get caught by the sweep, so I have this fear it won't actually post at all and I'll look like a fool for a MR that won't get me anywhere.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
To state it more accurately for JumboJ's purposes, all AA fares* on AA metal (AA planes) booked via AA website will earn a minimum of 1 EQM regardless of fare class [with DEQM a min of 2]. [KD5MDK, it's not just ones to Europe.] JumboJ, those O and Q fares are fine, you'll still get to your 25.5K with them and with DEQM. I'm getting to 125K with a good share of O and Q fares.

*AA plane tickets bought via hotwire, priceline bidding, or other sort "blind' or hidden booking website that don't earn miles on AA won't of course earn 1 because they earn none.
O fares to Latin America do not earn miles. I figured since everybody was talking about trips to Europe it was better to be fast and reply that all fares there earned than to spend the time to look up the exact exception.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
I have a friend who will cross the EXP qualification line (inc'l DEQM mileage run) on Dec 8th.

When can she be expected to have her status officially be changed to EXP? End of Dec? Jan 1st, 2010?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Looks like the terms and conditions cover that, though quite a few posts in this thread reporting they have posted earlier.

Double elite-qualifying miles will be calculated at 100% of the elite-qualifying miles earned for each applicable flight and will be deposited into the account of the traveling AAdvantage member within 6-8 weeks after travel is posted to your account.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
O fares to Latin America do not earn miles. I figured since everybody was talking about trips to Europe it was better to be fast and reply that all fares there earned than to spend the time to look up the exact exception.
Of course, this is even more interesting since you can now use SWUs on O fares to LATAM. Pretty odd to be able to use an upgrade on a non mileage earning ticket.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I'm flying BOS-LHR for Thanksgiving, and have signed up for the promo. However, since it takes 6-8 weeks for the additional EQMs to post, I won't have the requisite EQMs for platinum on 31 Dec 2009 (the additional EQMs will be posting well into January).

If I'm at 44K EQM after my Thanksgiving flights and still waiting for the additional 6500 EQMs to post for the bonus, what happens? Will I get platinum status in January 2010?

Apologies if this has been covered before. I tried doing a search of this thread, but am apparently not using the correct combination of terms
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by CheVive
I'm flying BOS-LHR for Thanksgiving, and have signed up for the promo. However, since it takes 6-8 weeks for the additional EQMs to post, I won't have the requisite EQMs for platinum on 31 Dec 2009 (the additional EQMs will be posting well into January).

If I'm at 44K EQM after my Thanksgiving flights and still waiting for the additional 6500 EQMs to post for the bonus, what happens? Will I get platinum status in January 2010?

Apologies if this has been covered before. I tried doing a search of this thread, but am apparently not using the correct combination of terms
As soon as the system realizes you have 50,000 EQM, you'll be Platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.