Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

+1
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Davidwnc
I don't suppose there is anyone at AA that can arrange it, is there?
No.

Though you are not the first to raise the question. And welcome to FT, Davidwnc. You'd be doing yourself a favor by reading the stickies and wikis in this forum for lots of ways to maximize your miles.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL GLD, STARWOOD GLD, HH SLVR, HYATT GLD, GPP SLVR
I have booked a MR (LHR - DFW - EWR JFK -LHR) for an upcomming weekend (leave Saturday morning arrive back sunday evening.) I am doing this simply for the DEQMs. I am content that I had to pay that fare to get what I want....but do I actually have to take the flight(s)? I would prefer to just get the (D)EQMs and RDMs and not have to spend the time and energy actually doing the trip - if AA would just give me the milage as if I were on the flight. They can keep my airfare and the extra fuel it would cost them haulling me around. I don't suppose there is anyone at AA that can arrange it, is there?
Flying is the best part! Grab breakfast in London, lunch in Dallas and dinner in New York, and when your friends ask you what you did over the weekend, you have one heckuva story to tell them!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:24 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

There is a reason they are called BIS (butt in seat) miles.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by zybysky
Flying is the best part! Grab breakfast in London, lunch in Dallas and dinner in New York, and when your friends ask you what you did over the weekend, you have one heckuva story to tell them!
Furthermore, if one doesn't like to fly/want to travel; then what is the point of gaining elite status w/an airline.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Ya gotta do the time, if you want status and free wine."
AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (NOT!)

Don't show up and get your boarding pases validated, you lose the moolah and the miles.

And welcome to FlyerTalk - which will undoubtedly help with the status and more.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:02 pm

That might be why they call it a frequent flyer program and not a frequent 'buy some miles toward elite qualification' program
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Furthermore, if one doesn't like to fly/want to travel; then what is the point of gaining elite status w/an airline.
I like to fly/travel - but it is far more enjoyable if I'm in F and actually going somewhere, not just a turn-around.

I have several MRs on AA - in Y and am NOT looking forward to them as they mostly involve same day turns. But the benefits I will (hopefully) reap will make up for it.

Heck I thought about buying my twin a few tickets to do a few MRs for me but that probably wouldn't end well.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
It isn't that I don't like to fly/travel, it's that I don't enjoy sitting in a peasant class seat for the better part of 36 hours merely to get DEQMs to get PLT, which I am doing because, with my travel plans over the next 12 months will more than pay for itself....

Thank you to everyone for your help...it was the answer I was expecting, if not the answer I was hoping for....
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Flying weeknds are tough. A Challenge on the lowest fares would earn you Plat with only 20,000 miles BIS - both would end 28 Feb 2011.

Good flying to you!

It isn't that I don't like to fly/travel, it's that I don't enjoy sitting in a peasant class seat for the better part of 36 hours merely to get DEQMs to get PLT, which I am doing because, with my travel plans over the next 12 months will more than pay for itself....

Thank you to everyone for your help...it was the answer I was expecting, if not the answer I was hoping for....
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Curious....if you get original routing credit on a flight....does that qualify for double elite miles? sorry if that's already posted somewhere
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:58 pm

Thanks for the information. I was wondering about the same question and about to send them an email. Now all my questions have been answered.

Originally Posted by daeus
I emailed them asking specifically regarding DBLEQ and posting of flights in early December. I got this response in writing from AA today. Hopefully this will end the 'will these flights count in 2009' questions.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium

If you want to just pay to get yourself to plainum then one option would be to get the AA credit cards from Citi and churn/charge to get over $2MM on them. Then you get to the 2MM miles and lifetime platinum status Problem solved!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mikelat
If you want to just pay to get yourself to plainum then one option would be to get the AA credit cards from Citi and churn/charge to get over $2MM on them. Then you get to the 2MM miles and lifetime platinum status Problem solved!
If you're suggesting a way this can be done without flying, you're overlooking one detail. It would take 6-10 years to get there.

If you're not elite, which you wouldn't be starting out, then Citi limits mileage earning to 100,000 (personal platinum Mastercard or Amex) or 150,000 (business card) miles per calendar year. So the limit would be in place until reaching lifetime gold at 1MM.

After that, you could go ahead and plunk down the next million $$$ to reach lifetime plat.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Not that I would ever recommend this, or even suggest that anybody actually do it, but as a thought experiment it has always seemed to me that if Pax A books a refundable fare and Pax B books a deep discount fare, and both Pax A and B meet inside security, swap BPs, then Pax A can cancel and get a refund, and take Bs BPs, and do the flights, while Pax B goes home and collects the DEQMs.

Very unlikely to get caught, though get ready for the cavity search (and worse) if you were caught. And it does require you to find somebody else willing to fly for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.