Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by krazieman
Any ideas on a "easy" 8,500mi round trip mileage run?
My thoughts would be a mid-week London/Paris trip from DFW.

I'm sitting on 106k EQM right now, my flight Sun will put me at 108k.
I'm just about at the same point - around 107k. I'm doing a DFW-IAD RT (2344 miles for $159.20) and a DFW-IAD-SJC RT (7742 miles routing DFW-IAD-DFW-SJC-LAX-IAD-DFW for $375.60, with the LAX-IAD segment as a redeye, leaving 9:45am one day, getting back at 12:05pm the next). That's 10,086 miles total for $534.80. (I'll be 25k RDMs for both of my choices, so this MR will net me 70k RDM!)

These have to be booked by midnight tonight, as that's when the fare sale ends. (Even a Hold is just until midnight.)
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Originally Posted by beerup
The Platinum challenge earns status through EQPs. DBLEQ gets extra EQMs, so it will not make a challenge faster.
I disagree sorry - I did the spring double promotion used the BOS triple play and registered for the PLAT challenge and hit it straight away. Sitting at just 40K miles and at PLAT now.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by JHIN
I disagree sorry - I did the spring double promotion used the BOS triple play and registered for the PLAT challenge and hit it straight away. Sitting at just 40K miles and at PLAT now.
First, congratulations on your platinum run. Second, there is really no contradiction here. While regular platinum status requires 50K miles or points, the challenge only requires 10K points. So long as you flew 10K miles (assuming 1 point per mile), you met the challenge. Whether there was an RDM promotion, whether you registered for it, whether you received 10K or 20K or 30K RDM miles as a result, those considerations do not matter.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:55 pm

Math check please experts

Lifetime Miles 982,906
YTD Miles 40,605
Miles 4 Upgrade YTD 5,033
Current status: PLAT

I calculated:

I need 17,094 for Lifetime GOLD
29,697.5 miles + DEQM to hit EXP

I'll end with 1,012,604 but I don't know how to add in my PLAT miles bonus with the miles I accumulate to hit EXP? I'm also thinking I'd end the year with 13 domestic upgrades? + EXP benefits and the Elite Rewards.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
First, congratulations on your platinum run. Second, there is really no contradiction here. While regular platinum status requires 50K miles or points, the challenge only requires 10K points. So long as you flew 10K miles (assuming 1 point per mile), you met the challenge. Whether there was an RDM promotion, whether you registered for it, whether you received 10K or 20K or 30K RDM miles as a result, those considerations do not matter.
Ahhh Ha - ok thanks good clarification.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BarkinJ
Wait a minute...

First of all, how is this not totally insane? How can any company justify this as a legitimate operating expense? How can they justify the time expenditure of having employees take unnecessary flights?

I mean, most of us do this as a hobby. I don't think I know anyone whose company pays them to take MRs and earn status.

Second, if this is really true, it feels a bit (not entirely... just a bit) like an abuse of the system. Having a company pump some number of employees into the Aadvantage elite system seems bit much. I'm not so concerned about individual hobbyists, FT members, and business travelers "diluting" the EXP pool. But this is a whole different story.

[Posted from the air using GoGo, EWR-LAX.]
I'm sure they sent only these employees on the road who will be travelling within the next year anyway. And maybe someone smart rolled the numbers and figured, why paying for F if we can just as well spend a fraction of the difference between F and Y now for a few "MRs" and put our people into coach the next year, relying on the Auto Upgrade which (until now) is, at least on my flights, pretty solid.

There was a time when members who purchased a prepaid travel card of some amount (was it 10K or 20K?) get promoted to EXP as well. For a company eventually a smarter option than a MR but I dont know if this is still around.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
I'm just about at the same point - around 107k. I'm doing a DFW-IAD RT (2344 miles for $159.20) and a DFW-IAD-SJC RT (7742 miles routing DFW-IAD-DFW-SJC-LAX-IAD-DFW for $375.60, with the LAX-IAD segment as a redeye, leaving 9:45am one day, getting back at 12:05pm the next). That's 10,086 miles total for $534.80. (I'll be 25k RDMs for both of my choices, so this MR will net me 70k RDM!)

These have to be booked by midnight tonight, as that's when the fare sale ends. (Even a Hold is just until midnight.)
I'm also similar to you Michael, but I'm a little unsure if I want do a MR myself. Here is my situation, sitting at 78K right now, with booked travel to EOY i'll be at 113K counting DBLEQ. In all, I'll need an extra 11821 miles or during the DBLEQ period will need 5911 EQM. I'm debating an MR that would be like YYZ-BOS/JFK-SFO for around $650. MR out of YYZ is usually expensive and annoying due to immigration. Remember I'm a college student so this would be like gambling my savings almost for me. Other things to keep in mind, I'm turning 21 next April and am planning to go to Vegas with friends which I'll want to upgrade one-way. Please give me advice if I should take an MR and if so which awards should I choose.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I just booked my MRs to hit 125k EQM.

If you only have to do 6k miles to hit 125k, it's a no-brainer. Do it. Whichever two options you choose (25k RDM, AC membership, gift of Gold, 2 SWUs), you're going to get about $1000 worth of value.

From YYZ, you might consider a few roundtrips to MIA at $168 each.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
I just booked my MRs to hit 125k EQM.

If you only have to do 6k miles to hit 125k, it's a no-brainer. Do it. Whichever two options you choose (25k RDM, AC membership, gift of Gold, 2 SWUs), you're going to get about $1000 worth of value.

From YYZ, you might consider a few roundtrips to MIA at $168 each.
Thanks for the help Michael, I actually would have never thought of MIA, personally don't fly down south that often, although I would have to add another extra $80-90 because of the Canada flying taxes and fees.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I actually would have never thought of MIA, personally don't fly down south that often, although I would have to add another extra $80-90 because of the Canada flying taxes and fees.
As a pure MR, this seems to be a wash to me - unless you actually need those things. Remember, as an EXP, you'd already have a few SWU's and decent access to lounges. It may make more sense to save your MR's for next year to requalify as an EXP.

However, if you have the money as well as the urge, then Madrid at 7500 miles and $550 from BUF could be a true short vacation, much more enjoyable than pure MR's within North America. IMHO, of course.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 1:42 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA PLT
Wow

I and my wife are flying tomorrow and just registered for this promo.
After this trip I will reach to GOLD and my wife PLT.
Hooray!!!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 1:50 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by aktchi
As a pure MR, this seems to be a wash to me - unless you actually need those things. Remember, as an EXP, you'd already have a few SWU's and decent access to lounges. It may make more sense to save your MR's for next year to requalify as an EXP.
Doing it just for the SWU's here and of course the 25k RDMs
Old Sep 4, 2009, 1:55 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
I'm very excited about the DBLEQM promotion. No more do I have to think about doing a challenge. I'm at 10K EQM for the year but I have 4 JFK-LAX flights left for the year along with a JFK-MIA, JFK-ORD, JFK-SDQ, JFK-LHR and MAYBE JFK-FRA. I should now be able to clear Platinum easily. With this Itinerary and my current 10K EQM, is Ex Plat even thinkable without a MR or would I have to do one. If I do, what would recommend for a MR out of JFK?

Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
I'm very excited about the DBLEQM promotion. No more do I have to think about doing a challenge. I'm at 10K EQM for the year but I have 4 JFK-LAX flights left for the year along with a JFK-MIA, JFK-ORD, JFK-SDQ, JFK-LHR and MAYBE JFK-FRA. I should now be able to clear Platinum easily. With this Itinerary and my current 10K EQM, is Ex Plat even thinkable without a MR or would I have to do one. If I do, what would recommend for a MR out of JFK?

Thanks!
If you have added up your current EQM and the double EQM for these flights, you should know whether you will achieve EXP without a MR. If you haven't, are you really asking somebody else to do the addition?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I'm also similar to you Michael, but I'm a little unsure if I want do a MR myself. Here is my situation, sitting at 78K right now, with booked travel to EOY i'll be at 113K counting DBLEQ. In all, I'll need an extra 11821 miles or during the DBLEQ period will need 5911 EQM. I'm debating an MR that would be like YYZ-BOS/JFK-SFO for around $650. MR out of YYZ is usually expensive and annoying due to immigration. Remember I'm a college student so this would be like gambling my savings almost for me. Other things to keep in mind, I'm turning 21 next April and am planning to go to Vegas with friends which I'll want to upgrade one-way. Please give me advice if I should take an MR and if so which awards should I choose.
Advice: wait. Fares will go down later this year. Start looking in earnest around Oct. 15, but keep an eye open until then.
Advice: check MR fares out of BUF. Much cheaper than YYZ.
Advice: check FareCompare's Flyertalker page.
Advice: plan on spending about 5 cents (US) per B-I-S mile, or around $300-350.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.