Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by mikeef
Aw crap, I had already booked a mileage run to put me over the top. Well, I'm happy for the rest of you.

Mike
Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales
Over the top of what? It seems pretty likely that if you had MR's coming up before year's end, unless they are after 12/15, or short MR's, you'll now get double EQM on them too -- meaning if they, plus your regular travel, are over 25k EQM, then now you're looking at some kind of elite bonus as well. If you were stretching for EXP this promo (plus the other one) might well get you some extra VIP's. Or if you were stretching for PLT you'll get one of those bonuses, which are dramatically less awesome but not nothing.

And of course, don't forget you do have the option of canceling your MR and getting a voucher less change fees, which might make sense if it's really a "pure" MR, and a more longhaul one instead of a bunch of cheap back to backs. Especially relevant if you can push it to early 2010 and get a head start on next year. Or if you just would rather suck up the (assuming) $150 to avoid the hassle of flying to nowhere for no reason.
I agree with everything you said, and it went into my math. I already completed one of the MRs I needed and had another coming up next week, which I have now canceled. Assuming that I kept next week's MR and got double EQMs for the rest of the year, I'd still only end up with about 113,000 miles. In a normal year, I probably would have considered doing an extra MR or two to put me over the top, but family issues prevent that. I'm sucking up the extra $150 to skip the MR I had scheduled and I'll just keep the remaining credit in my account.

Mike
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Any ideas on a "easy" 8,500mi round trip mileage run?
My thoughts would be a mid-week London/Paris trip from DFW.

I'm sitting on 106k EQM right now, my flight Sun will put me at 108k.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: NW Plat; DL; UA; CO; AA; AXP Plat; SPG Gold; HHonors Silver
Does anyone know whether or not the DBLEQ could help me with a Platinum challenge? I'm a NW Plat, sitting on about 95K EQM looking to potentially jump ship to AA.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by jxwolf
Does anyone know whether or not the DBLEQ could help me with a Platinum challenge? I'm a NW Plat, sitting on about 95K EQM looking to potentially jump ship to AA.
DBLEQ is only doubling mile, not points. Challenges depend entirely on points. Recommend checking out the challenge in the FAQ at the top.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
The Platinum challenge earns status through EQPs. DBLEQ gets extra EQMs, so it will not make a challenge faster.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
bah i just did a weekend to MR to FRA last weekend. Well this means I'll be EXP by the end of the month.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:50 am

Programs: NW Plat; DL; UA; CO; AA; AXP Plat; SPG Gold; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by daeus
DBLEQ is only doubling mile, not points. Challenges depend entirely on points. Recommend checking out the challenge in the FAQ at the top.
Dang it. I was hoping it'd help. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by krazieman
Any ideas on a "easy" 8,500mi round trip mileage run? My thoughts would be a mid-week London/Paris trip from DFW.
From DFW, AA has lots of fares to various European cities, from Istanbul to Stockholm, all 9K-10K miles and $650-$700. Everything else being equal (which may or may not be the case for you), I'd rather go to a smaller less crowded airport, even have a day of rest and sightseeing. But make sure it is AA metal throughout. I'd try to avoid visa hassle/expense, eg, Moscow.

In Asia, Tokyo and Singapore are good bets, no visa issues, but a few more miles than you need for a few more dollars.

Or you could make three trips to Boston, Spokane, or Oakland, 2900-3100 miles and $200-240 each.

EF is good for this kind of research if you have the subscription. Otherwise, Farecompare's FT link.

These are just fares. You'd need to find an available seat. Good luck.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:53 am

Dang it. I was hoping it'd help. Thanks for the clarification.
It could help, just not the way you want. You will get more EQM's for the trips you take. You won't get the challenge faster but in the event you were shooting for EXP this year (tough but given 95k flown on NW already at the start of Q3 it's not a huge stretch) you'll be that much closer.

Assuming you were going to make PLT at best this year though I can't see any major advantage, except perhaps if you hit 75k EQM (by flying what would have been 37.5k EQM) and get the modest PLT+ elite bonus.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aktchi
Or you could make three trips to Boston, Spokane, or Oakland, 2900-3100 miles and $200-240 each.
As it has to be AA metal throughout...I'd avoid Spokane and Oakland which do not have AA service.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Sweet. Booking DFW - LHR for a few weeks from now in C, which should put me over the top for EXP. Excellent deal, AA, and I'll probably make the 125k threshold too.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by travelismylife
You can do FLL-SFO for $190 a.i., leaving Tuesday coming back Wed. various dates in Oct. and Nov.
Thanks for the heads up. That is amazing.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by CMK10
As it has to be AA metal throughout...I'd avoid Spokane and Oakland which do not have AA service.
Oops I forgot it had to be AA metal. I have a 7500 mile EQM trip in a couple weeks already booked, but several segments are on AS. I'll have to recalculate my expected EQMs down a bit since the AS segments will only be single EQM.

Might have to do another MR....DTW is a hard place for AA MRs unfortunately.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.1MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MAH4546
For those in LA that can take off Fridays and Mondays and don't get very jet-lagged, looks like there are plenty of weekends in Oct and Nov to go to pretty much any European destination for less than $800, leaving Friday morning, back in LA Monday night via JFK, MIA or ORD. It will net between approx. 25,000 and 28,000 EQMs depending how far you go. I might do one of these runs since it will net me EXP.

Kind of sucks that the destinations that can get me furthest - Moscow, Shanghai and Delhi - require a visa.
And Moscow requires an invitation of some sort.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by minyung
And Moscow requires an invitation of some sort.
Hotel (or visa expeditor) will routinely furnish visa support letter, which is all you need (in addition to the $ and the lengthy application).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.