Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I bought the following itinerary on AA.com today:

POA-EZE-MIA-DFW-HNL-LAX-LAS-LAX-SYD-MEL-LAX-JFK-GRU-POA
How much did this cost? And are you planning to do a lot of oneworld travel in 2010, or is this just to get a shiny card?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by giggy
If they did q points, any status challenge would be at half the points, Thats a no no
That is a good point, and whether a modification to their systems could be made during the time (or requiring double q-points) to do this during the bonus period is unknown.

On the other hand, they are almost giving status away now, so I guess it really wouldn't matter how you get it.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 1:12 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question

Do the double miles apply to "miles towards stickers" ?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by IntFF
Do the double miles apply to "miles towards stickers" ?
No.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
I went ahead and did the math. I'd end up with around 75K EQMS. So I'd like to invite those in the know about any good MR's I could go for starting from JFK or LGA.

Thanks!
Being discussed in this thread.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
AA sent me a 15% off coupon I plan on using for some future travel. The Ts and Cs of DBLEQM say valid on any published fare.

I'm hesitant to use the coupon since technically the fare would no longer be a "published" fare. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM); BD *G; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
I went ahead and did the math. I'd end up with around 75K EQMS. So I'd like to invite those in the know about any good MR's I could go for starting from JFK or LGA.

Thanks!
SGN

HAN

Both have decent prices right now.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by nigelloring
How much did this cost? And are you planning to do a lot of oneworld travel in 2010, or is this just to get a shiny card?
Of course I didn't do it just to get a shiny card - what sort of idiot do you take me for? I did it to keep my shiny card

Cost was $3000 - kind of expensive but all the AA operated flights will be in Business or First courtesy of my remaining eVIPs/comp upgrades and with the 50000 mile elite bonus for passing 125000 EQMs the trip will yield 130000 redeemable miles. And the ticket is fully flexible/reroutable/cancellable without penalty. Now I just have to survive the QF-operated flights - anyone know a doctor who will provide me with some propofol?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
I completely agree with both of you. AA should have done this program with Q-Points, giving incentive to people who pay more for travel. I don't understand their reasoning doing it the way they do. And regardless of what people say here, it does dilute the program. To say it doesn't is ignorant.
While all you are crying over the dilution, I will again state that IME AA is keeping one EXP (ME!) from losing EXP status. I was almost 30000 miles away from requalifying, had no tixs booked for the fall and given the state of my industry was seriously considering not doing the personal MRs to requalify. If my status dropped, I just don't think I would be as wedded to AA. Beyond the additional revenue this brings to AA (I booked $600 as soon as I got the DEQM announcement), I am more likely to fly AA for more miles next year to retain EXP for 2012 than if I was a PLAT. I think AA also knows this (and that's why it has soft landings) and has done this promotion thinking of future 2011 bookings beyond just bookings this fall.

You just don't have as much loyalty to AA at the lower levels of status.

I also have not had any difficulty using my EVIPs this year although YMMV.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
It's no secret that AA, like all legacy airlines, is hurting for cash. So this promo isn't too big a surprise.
Maybe this has already been discussed, so please forgive me if so...
Doesn't this sort of promo seem short sighted on AA's part. I mean, don't they end up losing a lot more next year when all these people are PLT and EXP who wouldn't normally have it and would have to pay for the bonuses they'll get for free. Sure, we'll rush to fly now, but it seems like all of the DEQMs (United et al) are going to catch up to them eventually?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
I was almost 30000 miles away from requalifying, had no tixs booked for the fall and given the state of my industry was seriously considering not doing the personal MRs to requalify. If my status dropped, I just don't think I would be as wedded to AA.
Sorry to hear your industry isn't doing so hot. I went through the same thing in 2001 when my industry imploded (technology). I didn't fly enough to keep EXP that year, and dropped to PLT, then GLD the next year (would have been GLD immediately if it wasn't for the soft landing). They didn't do anything back then to try to keep people, but I've made it back to EXP for the past three years (the hard way).

We will never know AA's financial decisions and projections for doing this, and I do hope it works out financially for them. I'm just disappointed that there could be a major influx of people into the system next year (again a fact that people here on FT will never know) that will un-naturally swell the top tier.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by awpeters
Maybe this has already been discussed, so please forgive me if so...
Doesn't this sort of promo seem short sighted on AA's part. I mean, don't they end up losing a lot more next year when all these people are PLT and EXP who wouldn't normally have it and would have to pay for the bonuses they'll get for free. Sure, we'll rush to fly now, but it seems like all of the DEQMs (United et al) are going to catch up to them eventually?
A Plat makes EXP. What does this actually COST AA?

The same number of F and J seats still fly. They just get asssigned differently now.

They get OW First lounges instead of Business. Does AA actually pay more for these lounges?

The miles bonus is the same 100%, so no more reward travel to bankroll.

Assuming the prices paid for lounge use are the same, what additional cash expense does this cost AA other than mailing a shiny black card?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 6:26 pm

Also, to those who are talkign about people doing 50,000 EQM's in MR's to take advantage of this... how many of them will there be, 50, maybe?

I'm sitting in the NRT JL F lounge right now, and loking around, I see almost that many EXP tags. I wonder what the count would be if I could see those people who, like me, don't put them on our luggage...

I was talking to a woman SGN-NRT a couple hours ago, who my my at-seat math, would gho form GLD to PLAT just be signing up for this promo. She didn't care a lick. Welcome to most of the semi-frequent flying public.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by StrandedinSC
Also, to those who are talkign about people doing 50,000 EQM's in MR's to take advantage of this... how many of them will there be, 50, maybe?
Well I haven't made up my mind yet - though I did sign up for both promos.

Pre-promo I would probably have ended up with 51K EQM and 57K EQP.

Add 18K EQM additional for the promo....... based on booked tickets.
So is it worth the PER/SIN-NRT-USA round trip? Ask me about 15 Dec.
It may be more of a time issue than $$

FRed
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by awpeters
Doesn't this sort of promo seem short sighted on AA's part?
Well, any promotion, any sale would be short-sighted if you think that business could have received more revenue without it. But that's not why we have an economy almost entirely driven by holiday sales.

AA is doing this promo to make people buy more tickets. They are giving nothing tangible in return - just a number on your screen. Contractually, legally, they even own that number and control the value of those miles completely.

As to those who bemoan that this is devaluing elite status, I am shocked, shocked, shocked! Are you aware of any aspect of air-travel that has not been devalued?

Remember, first they came for non-elite passengers and economy seats, and we didn't say anything because we were elite and occasionally upgraded...

PS. I just booked an ORD-Sin run.

Last edited by aktchi; Sep 6, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.