Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Thanks American, your upgrade "enhancement" has destroyed EXP for me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks American, your upgrade "enhancement" has destroyed EXP for me!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All that matters are the number of page views - and we're almost to 10k. KEEP CLICKING, people!
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, it is about people who don't want to pay for first class.
However it is also about whether free upgrades should go to those who book futther in advance, and average spending less money than those who book closer to the departure date.
Agree..wondering if AA will hear from business travelers paying top dollar sitting in Y while watching vacationers sit up front. In reality, the difference only matters in business markets where F seats are scarce. If these people complain, who are paying the most, it would be interesting to see if AA does something. It seems not very smart to reward those paying the least with the best seats but given AA's history (abandoned hubs/TWA/poor employee relations etc.)and $9 stock price, brains are in short supply there.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AA53
Agree..wondering if AA will hear from business travelers paying top dollar sitting in Y while watching vacationers sit up front.
Vacationers who are also EXPs or traveling w/an EXP. A gold who books 7 months in advance still can't queue jump ahead of an EXP who books 2 days out.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:09 pm

As far as I can tell this a thread where flyers are talking, about flying, on flyertalk.com,

Almost unimaginable really, let's wring our hands some more about this lamentable turn of events.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jrhone
It isnt a cost saving move, and it does not reduce the number of hours required.
Well I guess that's settled then. Believe what you want. The math is there.

If it's not maybe my firm should have a chat with AA. I think this would enable GA's, especially at DFW, handle 1+ flights at a time. No need for 10-20 EXP's to bother the GA to get on the list. For two flights that 20-40 interactions eliminated.

The check-in kiosks are much easier for people to get their boarding passes, OLCI is easier as well. I'd bet there was a message that went out to everyone tell them how great this was for them (yes there is a benefit) but I'm sure AA was also looking to reduce labor costs. What was the primary motivator in an industry that debate about passing out free pretzels?

Last edited by deac83; Mar 16, 2008 at 12:59 pm
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales
As far as I can tell this a thread where flyers are talking, about flying, on flyertalk.com,

Almost unimaginable really, let's wring our hands some more about this lamentable turn of events.
You can't keep a good man down. Jason lives!
Old Mar 16, 2008, 2:43 pm

wondering if AA will hear from business travelers paying top dollar sitting in Y while watching vacationers sit up front.
I cannot believe that anyone can seriously argue that they should be allowed to queue jump over someone of the same status because they 'care' more about upgrades.

Perhaps their argument should be extended to those who 'care' about exit row seats!

They should complain to AA about the situation that allows a mere GLD vacationer to book an exit row in Y 7 months ahead, whilst "business travelers paying top dollar"(some possibly EXP) are sitting in a middle centre
seat.

A much better system would be to not allow any exit row to be reserved until the 24 hour point, then done by OLCI, or visiting the airport in the case of International flights.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 4:24 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Agree..wondering if AA will hear from business travelers paying top dollar sitting in Y while watching vacationers sit up front. In reality, the difference only matters in business markets where F seats are scarce. If these people complain, who are paying the most, it would be interesting to see if AA does something. It seems not very smart to reward those paying the least with the best seats but given AA's history (abandoned hubs/TWA/poor employee relations etc.)and $9 stock price, brains are in short supply there.
...and wouldn't it be interesting if AA cites this as the reason to implement upgrade priority according to fare basis?

Maybe they're not as dumb as you think...put in a system to pi$$ off last-minute business travelers who mightn't otherwise be very open to fare-basis upgrade priority...and then implement fare-basis prioritization as a "lesser of 2 evils"...reminds me of that old story about how to boil a frog...

cheers!
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT LIFE, SPG Platinum, LHW LC, Fairmont PC
For what it's worth, I've taken four flights since the new rules went into effect on 1 March, and as an EXP I've been upgraded all four times. I typically buy tickets at the last minute - so this really hasn't proven to be an issue for me. The only thing that I've noticed is the upgrades are clearing later - either at the 2 hour checkin or at the gate. Personally, I don't care when they clear, as long as they clear. My husband has had the same experience on completely different flights - four flights, four upgrades.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by deac83
Well I guess that's settled then. Believe what you want. The math is there.

If it's not maybe my firm should have a chat with AA. I think this would enable GA's, especially at DFW, handle 1+ flights at a time. No need for 10-20 EXP's to bother the GA to get on the list. For two flights that 20-40 interactions eliminated.

The check-in kiosks are much easier for people to get their boarding passes, OLCI is easier as well. I'd bet there was a message that went out to everyone tell them how great this was for them (yes there is a benefit) but I'm sure AA was also looking to reduce labor costs. What was the primary motivator in an industry that debate about passing out free pretzels?

I work anywhere between 2-6 AA flights a day , if I am not working the gates I am at the ticket counter.

This change has not reduced the amount of time I spend dealing with Elite Upgrade requests at the gate, if fact I probably now have twice as many people asking me if their upgrade has cleared as I used to get.

It might save me having to type out the entry to put someone on the list as for the most part the ticket agents now put you on the list . However , seeing as the entry to put some one on the list takes about 3 seconds , it is now simply three seconds that the TA spends adding the entry rather than the GA . The entry used to put someone on the list is very simple..

GL123-SMITHXUPG1

If your working the gate you can also dedicate the set to one particular flight so you dont even have to type the flight number, takes it down to about 2 seconds.

I am curious as to how you think this will enable GA's to handle 1+ flight at a time ?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrhone
I work anywhere between 2-6 AA flights a day , if I am not working the gates I am at the ticket counter.

This change has not reduced the amount of time I spend dealing with Elite Upgrade requests at the gate, if fact I probably now have twice as many people asking me if their upgrade has cleared as I used to get.

It might save me having to type out the entry to put someone on the list as for the most part the ticket agents now put you on the list . However , seeing as the entry to put some one on the list takes about 3 seconds , it is now simply three seconds that the TA spends adding the entry rather than the GA . The entry used to put someone on the list is very simple..

GL123-SMITHXUPG1

If your working the gate you can also dedicate the set to one particular flight so you dont even have to type the flight number, takes it down to about 2 seconds.

I am curious as to how you think this will enable GA's to handle 1+ flight at a time ?
Actually I am suprised you even bothered to spend the time to respond

mike
Old Mar 16, 2008, 6:35 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Not more about - totally about.

Those that knew the finer points of the system and gained a clearly unfair advantage are now griping that the withdrawal of that unfair advantage is, by some perverse logic, UNFAIR!
First of all, I don't recall anyone saying that the new system was unfair. I do recall some (myself included) saying that, while it is fair, we don't like it. Very big difference.

Second, how is using check-in time under the old system gaining an unfair advantage? This information was published on the AA website where it said that check-in time was used to determine upgrade priority within 3 hours. So, we were taking unfair advantage of those who choose not to read the website for the airline they're flying? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

And don't bring up the 4 hour deal, because the new change only goes into effect at 3 hours and, hence, has no impact on that particular "feature," fair or not.

So, where is this "clearly unfair advantage" that we used to have?

Cheers.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I'm surprised. I've always found you (plural) to have quite an active and vivid imagination.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

No wonder you've tried so hard to mask your identity! Does your probation officer know you hang out in chat rooms?

http://www.law.cornell.edu/nyctap/I92_0243.htm
Old Mar 16, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AAir_head
...and wouldn't it be interesting if AA cites this as the reason to implement upgrade priority according to fare basis?

Maybe they're not as dumb as you think...put in a system to pi$$ off last-minute business travelers who mightn't otherwise be very open to fare-basis upgrade priority...and then implement fare-basis prioritization as a "lesser of 2 evils"...reminds me of that old story about how to boil a frog...

cheers!
I have always thought that those who pay the most should have the best seats (or best chance at the upgrade if flying Y). As mentioned by many here, most travelers won't see any difference because they aren't traveling between business (hub) markets at peak times so all of this thread is much ado about nothing. BTW, most businesses segment their customer base by profitability.....of course the airline business is one of the worst examples of how to run a business so their attempt at segmentation is a frequent flyer program that has nothing to do with revenue produced by its customers.. Management can't help themselves but screw things up at every turn.
The market will dictate the next wave of consolidation and then things will get interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.