Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Thanks American, your upgrade "enhancement" has destroyed EXP for me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks American, your upgrade "enhancement" has destroyed EXP for me!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:16 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nrr
Suppose I book a flight 200 days early; I go confirmed standby, say 12 hours before my intended flight. Does my original booking date carryover to the new flights for upgrade priority?
Nope. You didn't book that flight 200 days in advance, so you'll have a 12 hour history on the new flight.

Cheers.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by cordata
2M Euros will not benefit the US economy so that will take a lower priority. A MILLION DOLLAR DEAL is very important.
It depends on the margin and where you're based. If I sell a 2MM EUR deal, take out foreign expenses and local labor and all the rest is going back to the states. And if I staff with US resources, payroll expenses are USD as well.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Arrow Newsflash!!!! AA saves my life!

Just a newsflash from me, the OP.

Two of my upgrades came through for me tomorrow. I didn't expect it. These are heavily traveled routes.

The only think I can imagine is that someone from AA is reading this forum and they intervened on my behalf.

So it does pay to complain on the AA forum. It gets your problem solved.

Yeah, AA!!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Or maybe, just maybe, AA did not destroy EXP for you and your original assessment was slightly flawed?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Just a newsflash from me, the OP.

Two of my upgrades came through for me tomorrow. I didn't expect it. These are heavily traveled routes.

The only think I can imagine is that someone from AA is reading this forum and they intervened on my behalf.

So it does pay to complain on the AA forum. It gets your problem solved.
Wow, compliments to the AA employee who reads FT and was able to determine your AAdvantage account & flight information based on your FT posts/profile and then intervene on your behalf.

While I do not want to upset said employee, I suspect that as the new system roll out continues, there will be far fewer "its not fair" threads (at least by EXPs).
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Wow, compliments to the AA employee who reads FT and was able to determine your AAdvantage account & flight information based on your FT posts/profile and then intervene on your behalf.

While I do not want to upset said employee, I suspect that as the new system roll out continues, there will be far fewer "its not fair" threads (at least by EXPs).
It's not that hard to figure out who we are. Many of us post enough about our flight schedules for people deep in the bowels of AA to know who we are. Caring enough to do so is an entirely different matter.

But, I prefer to think that AA cares deeply about me. It's comforting, like sleeping on soft pillows every night with a favorite blanky.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
If this AA employee circumvented the rules and showed favoritism(which I highly, highly doubt), then he should be reprimanded. As the OP believes that a favor was done to him, he is acknowledging that he took away an upgrade from a fellow pax that did not rightfully belong to him. Enough said.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justforfun
If this AA employee circumvented the rules and showed favoritism(which I highly, highly doubt), then he should be reprimanded. As the OP believes that a favor was done to him, he is acknowledging that he took away an upgrade from a fellow pax that did not rightfully belong to him. Enough said.
One need only research the posting history of the OP to realize that this was not a serious comment, intended only to see how many people take it seriously. This entire thread would seem to fit into th same category.

Cheers.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by brp
One need only research the posting history of the OP to realize that this was not a serious comment, intended only to see how many people take it seriously. This entire thread would seem to fit into th same category.

Cheers.
We need more ice!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by brp
I certainly understood the humor in the recent post (and frankly the entire the thread)- but I'm still not sure that the OP was joking in the initial post.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I certainly understood the humor in the recent post (and frankly the entire the thread)- but I'm still not sure that the OP was joking in the initial post.
I wasn't. But, it does bother me that people don't appreciate that someone can be joking and serious at the same time.

There's this saying "Ha ha, only serious."

http://intranet.cs.man.ac.uk/softwar...y-serious.html
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
On the phone with an EXP AAgent last night I asked about the change to the upgrade system. In his words it "didn't change but they put in a new system to transfer upgrade requests automatically to the airport list." [yes I know that's not exactly correct]

He said that they'd had lots of passenger requests to keep the original (time of UPG request) priority.

If this is case then it must be flyers who were not FT junkies who requested an UPG early and didn't like being jumped by 24hr OLCI experts and 4-hour loopholers.

I can see that point of view.

Interesting that the AAgent seemd to think of it as something passengers clearly wanted.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pixpixpix

If this is case then it must be flyers who were not FT junkies who requested an UPG early and didn't like being jumped by 24hr OLCI experts and 4-hour loopholers.

I can see that point of view.

Interesting that the AAgent seemd to think of it as something passengers clearly wanted.
If they're not FTers, they don't know about any 4 hour issues. Likely, the don't know about the 24 hour OLCI, even though it was listed on the AA website with regard to upgrade priority. All they know is that they requested upgrades when they booked well in advance and did not get them. They probably don't know why, but weren't happy about it. I'm sure that most passengers would prefer the new system. Most people are either too ignorant/lazy/inefficient/clueless/important/self-important/etc to learn how systems work and how to take advantage of them. It is for these "sheeple" that the concept of "the level playing field" is appealing. Those with ingenuity want anything but a level playing field, provided they know the rules.

Cheers.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Flight must have cancelled and the Automated Upgrade system wasnt told till afterwards.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:15 pm

Programs: EXP 1MM
Thumbs down

So...
Count me as one who doesn't particularly care for it:

Let me count the ways-

If not already upgraded, I must go see gate agent? (... - Are they not already busy enuf - Why do we have AAngels in the club anyway?) That's ok - I'll bother the GA when she's really busy, and be so nice annoying her while dangling my EXP card - Sheesh! Talk about a shifting of labor costs.)

Flight changes - apparently, if I standby, I go to the back of the line for my class, not based upon my original request (even tho' I'm told this is not true, I've NEVER shown up on the airport upgrade list when standing by). 5 of my last 6 flights since the changeover were standby. Perhaps this is the EXPT thing? If so, poor training is clearly an issue.

Oops - no need for me to give AA the extra $25 for confirmed standby if they can't get me into J. I'm pretty much guaranteed the crappy seat in Y, but want the extra $25 AA? Not gonna happen with this policy. Gerard Baby - you can complain about flights that make $12 all you want - this policy helps hold down minor incremental revenue.

At least give me a shot based upon stated policy (original request time - regardless of flight and maybe collect a few 10 thousands a month for those willing to cough up the jackson and a quarter).

J...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.