Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Thanks American, your upgrade "enhancement" has destroyed EXP for me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks American, your upgrade "enhancement" has destroyed EXP for me!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by vasantn
Wanna bet?
Yea, I agree, the ratio of frequent travelers to infrequent travelers is really skewed then. It usually isnt bad to get an upgrade.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The 24 hour check-in was also seriously biased towards people coonecting from farther away, as they could check in sooner (24 hours from their first flight) than people originating at the hub. That bias has been removed, which is a good thing.
This is a huge point and one that often benefited me, since I fly from Boston with a connection, so I have priority over O&D traffic, which is typically higher RASM.

The new system is meant to fill as much of the plane as early as possible, to drive up pricing on close-in bookings. It is a disadvantage to those who book at the last minute and pay higher fares, but FTers are a self-selecting group. Obviously, everyone likes to sit up front, but not many people spend as much time thinking about it as we do.

Mike
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:24 am

Location: DFW - AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt - PLT, Hertz Prez
Equalizer!

I know I am going to be shot at but....

As a last minute purchaser of tickets I am not too happy with this change. I am 0 for 3 in the last week and half. The only equalizer here would be the fare basis code. If I am paying more $$ for a business trip than the EXP who booked his/her flight 180 days ago for a N Fare, I would like to see that be included in the equation to make the upgrade decision.

Yes it hurts me when I fly with my family on vacations but that is 1 trip in 100 that I make each year.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I think it is automatic. When I checked in Friday for a Saturday flight it seemed to be the case.
I checked in online Saturday evening for my Sunday noon flight. I was not on the upgrade list even though I had selected the option online.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Sam - DFW
everyone has the option to buy a ticket early.
You don't travel on business much do you? I've purchased tickets to various points in Africa the day before I left. Was this an option to plan it early? Yes, but then again, I didn't expect the clients office to get raided by bandits and have to go recover data either.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Yea, I agree, the ratio of frequent travelers to infrequent travelers is really skewed then. It usually isnt bad to get an upgrade.
No scientific basis on this at all but let me throw this out there:

20% of the traveling public accounts for 80% of the travel.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sts603
I think a more fair system would be to do it by fare class somewhat like CO does within each status level. Sure I love getting upgrades on a $200 ticket but frankly, the PLAT on a $1200 ticket should trump me regardless of when I book my ticket, request the upgrade or check in. Thats just my two sense.
I too am mystified as to why AA adopted this policy. CO's makes much more sense as it is revenue-based; AA's seems to reward those paying the least (as has been noted ad nauseum).
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Originally Posted by purpleskiesfly
You don't travel on business much do you? I've purchased tickets to various points in Africa the day before I left. Was this an option to plan it early? Yes, but then again, I didn't expect the clients office to get raided by bandits and have to go recover data either.
if your clients force you to fly to africa in coach with no advanced notice you have a really crappy job and there are probably better places for you to complain. i would suggest spending more time on careerbuilder and less time on FT.

seat selection (exit rows, etc.) is on a first come first serve basis and no one seems to complain about that. the only reason that people here are complaining about upgrades is b/c they can no longer work the system to their advantage. people here were continually upset that the "loopholes" were being rehashed so extensively that their "secret" was getting out and would eventually limit their upgrade opportunities.

loopholes aren't equitable.

while it is very understandable why people here would complain about the system change b/c it really only affects them adversely, the new system makes more sense to the far greater percentage of AA's elite.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
if your clients force you to fly to africa in coach with no advanced notice you have a really crappy job and there are probably better places for you to complain. i would suggest spending more time on careerbuilder and less time on FT.

seat selection (exit rows, etc.) is on a first come first serve basis and no one seems to complain about that. the only reason that people here are complaining about upgrades is b/c they can no longer work the system to their advantage. people here were continually upset that the "loopholes" were being rehashed so extensively that their "secret" was getting out and would eventually limit their upgrade opportunities.

loopholes aren't equitable.

while it is very understandable why people here would complain about the system change b/c it really only affects them adversely, the new system makes more sense to the far greater percentage of AA's elite.
Well put.

Stop whining people and put more energy into finding new ways to work the system, rather than complaining about having lost this one....
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Not a lot of sympathy here either.

I'm also in the position of rarely making long term travel plans but I can certainly see reasons why AA would want to give incentives to those who commit to flights early as it makes their revenue planning easier than if they have a lot of people booking late.

The old loop-hole was just that, a loop-hole and it allowed those who could exploit it to get an advantage over those who could not that had no basis in status, fare paid, age of booking etc. just the ability to speed-dial at the right moment

I'm still not sure how much of a difference this is going to make to EXP travellers though as if there is plenty of upgrade availability they will still be ahead of the gold queue and a lot of the early booked EXP will have had their upgrades cleared already.

If there isn't much upgrade availability then they just have to join the EXP queue and hope instead of pushing in at the front of the queue regardless.

Seems fair enough to me.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
This is all about a small group of EXP thinking they are more deserving of privelege than the rest of EXP.

Everyone of you late boolking EXPs jump ahead of us lowly Plats.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
people here were continually upset that the "loopholes" were being rehashed so extensively that their "secret" was getting out and would eventually limit their upgrade opportunities.
Quite a quandry, to share beneficial secrets with the FT community or to keep them secret.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Quite a quandry, to share beneficial secrets with the FT community or to keep them secret.
Never had a problem with sharing the knowledge; had a major problem with people bragging about their successes.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:37 am

When I'm working on a MILLION DOLLAR DEAL I need an upgrade!

I'm helping the economy more than those of you on a visit to Grandma.

Let me propose a simple solution to this problem - when I get a last minute MILLION DOLLAR DEAL I will post a thread there on FT showing the route. For example, I just found a MILLION DOLLAR DEAL in Pittsburgh!

Once you see this thread, EXPs and PLTs will cease requesting upgrades so that I will have appropriate seating for my MILLION DOLLAR DEAL!

Easy!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
what if i'm working on a $5M deal, or a 2M euro deal? then you'll have to give up that upgrade!

Originally Posted by cordata
When I'm working on a MILLION DOLLAR DEAL I need an upgrade!

I'm helping the economy more than those of you on a visit to Grandma.

Let me propose a simple solution to this problem - when I get a last minute MILLION DOLLAR DEAL I will post a thread there on FT showing the route. For example, I just found a MILLION DOLLAR DEAL in Pittsburgh!

Once you see this thread, EXPs and PLTs will cease requesting upgrades so that I will have appropriate seating for my MILLION DOLLAR DEAL!

Easy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.