Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Thanks American, your upgrade "enhancement" has destroyed EXP for me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks American, your upgrade "enhancement" has destroyed EXP for me!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I think a more fair system would be to do it by fare class somewhat like CO does within each status level. Sure I love getting upgrades on a $200 ticket but frankly, the PLAT on a $1200 ticket should trump me regardless of when I book my ticket, request the upgrade or check in. Thats just my two sense.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:18 am

I love not going through games. I never played them, and have always just let my upgrades fall where they may. So to me, this is a huge plus - it now works "UA style" where you request carries to the gate.

There is a big part of me though that wishes they went to a "CO style" clearance protocol that goes Status then Fare Bucket instead of Status then Request Time. There does seem to be something wrong when almost by definition, the cheaper your ticket, the better your upgrade chances. (This is the same issue I have with AA's paltry "elite seating zone" - as a result, all the seats are frequently taken by the cheapest tickets before the expensive fares start coming in in the final weeks.)
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by billgrates3
Here's what I want to know, since I am usually trying to upgrade internationally.... how does the new system affect the C inventory bucket when there is a domestic segment connecting to an international segment? The old system was as clear as mud when C upgrades did not clear in advance, now the new system is as clear as thick fog. No GA was ever able to explain to me before how priorities work in this common situation.

So... if the new system is supposed to be straight forward and fair, then C upgrades should ALWAYs have higher priority than X or R, regardless of status... but wait! On an outbound leg, if your international segment has not cleared before the departure of the first, earlier domestic segment, you don't have a C upgrade yet, therefore what is your upgrade priority on the first segment??
There is no change. The two inventory buckets (A for eVIPs and X for stickers) are independent. While A generally opens up before X, this is not always the case. And the opening up of C on the international segment is also independent of anything on the domestic segment.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by vasantn
There is no change. The two inventory buckets (A for eVIPs and X for stickers) are independent. While A generally opens up before X, this is not always the case. And the opening up of C on the international segment is also independent of anything on the domestic segment.
That doesn't quite answer my question. I think you know my theory about the mad computer, Haal9000, governing upgrade clearance, but for now let's pretend that the system is rational.
Is there any link in the system between attempted C upgrades and domestic earlier segments? Frankly, my experience indicates not.
For example, last Tuesday, I had a C upgrade FCO-JFK confirmed weeks before departure, but the next segment JFK-SFO didn't clear and went to gate control. The system had no priority entry on my PNR, and the aangel in the A/C had to enter in the magic code "evipT", which put me #1 on the upgrade list. By the way, she didn't know that code and had to call up a couple of supervisor experts to figure it out.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:20 am

Programs: AA - Executive Platinum HHonors - Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
It looks like there will always be some who will complain when the playing field no longer tilts in their favored direction. I suspect fewer EXPs will be gored by blitzkrieg upgraders of all Elite persuasions using the 24 hour check-in (and maybe the 4 hour "push" if it no longer works,) and the new system will be better for more and worse for fewer. Just an opinion, but...
I'm still baffled by the logic behind this change.
The 24-hour check-in rule rewarded people who cared enough about the system (and/or flew enough) to learn the system and take advantage of it. If you just checked the box and hoped for the best, IMHO you didn't have as much emotionally invested in getting the upgrade.

Okay, so AA wants to make the system more "fair" - and so now the people rewarded are those who buy the cheapest tickets?

I would honestly love to understand more about bucket analysis and yields now - is there really more value in having predictable yields (tickets bought far in advance) than in selling the higher-priced buckets close to the date of flight? Is a $300 ticket bought three months early worth more to AA than a $700 ticket bought two days before the flight?

I'm not saying the old system made business sense on its own, but *changing* the system alienates the truly dedicated FF - those who know and work the system. For these people, the time they've invested in learning the ropes makes them possibly the most dedicated passengers of all, because they have the greatest emotional investment. So if you're going to rock the boat and risk losing them, you would do so in such a way that makes business sense to do so (increases revenue, grows the pool of return passengers, etc).

Maybe analysis shows that this method scatters upgrades among a larger pool, and the theory is that this will create more FF loyalty? That might make sense. Otherwise it really is baffling.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by billgrates3
That doesn't quite answer my question. ...
Is there any link in the system between attempted C upgrades and domestic earlier segments?
Nope, and I thought that was what I said.

Originally Posted by vasantn
And the opening up of C on the international segment is also independent of anything on the domestic segment.
Perhaps I should have added "and vice versa."
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA 2P, Bonvoy Gold
I am often reminded of the fact that not every EXP can be upgraded as often as we'd like--many times under the old system I have had the experience of purchasing near full fare coach tickets just a few days prior to departure, was #2 on the upgrade list, and I still rode in the back of the plane. I'm sure the new system will affect us all in way good and bad. I always try to keep my expectations in check when my upgrades don't clear.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Admirals Club, TrueBlue, AF/KLM Flying Blue
As a plat, I'd have to agree that the program is shot for me... I had close to a 90% upgrade rate.

I'm assuming it will be something FAR less now... Won't know for a little bit as I'm on international routes for the next few flights.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
This can only hurt me as a Platinum, but I'm surprised at how many find this obvious change an inappropriate one from a big picture perspective. I think the big picture still is pretty small on the part of some.

Booking early is a benefit for the airline too. If it wasn't, the seats wouldn't be cheaper.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Admirals Club, TrueBlue, AF/KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by beachfan
This can only hurt me as a Platinum, but I'm surprised at how many find this obvious change an inappropriate one from a big picture perspective. I think the big picture still is pretty small on the part of some.

Booking early is a benefit for the airline too. If it wasn't, the seats wouldn't be cheaper.
The seats aren't cheaper because its better for the airline. Revenue Management knows that the likelyhood of selling the "expensive" seats so far in advance is small. People have a lot of time to shop around, or some potential customers just wouldn't buy in general.

AA would love to sell as many last minute high fare tickets as possible. If they didn't offer the cheap tickets though, they could sell 70 high fare tickets and have 100 empty seats... 70 high fares & 100 low fares is better though. Keep in mind that the low fare tickets generally don't even cover the cost per seat mile. Since airline seats are perishable however, something is better than nothing.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by sts603
I think a more fair system would be to do it by fare class somewhat like CO does within each status level. Sure I love getting upgrades on a $200 ticket but frankly, the PLAT on a $1200 ticket should trump me regardless of when I book my ticket, request the upgrade or check in. Thats just my two sense.
IMHO this would be the correct way to do it and I truly wonder why AA hasn't adopted it as well.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by jdburns11
If the First class seat is that important to you, then buy it.
What? You mean people actually BUY F seats on US carriers? What a novel concept!

Dave
Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by unitedPSbusiness
As a plat, I'd have to agree that the program is shot for me... I had close to a 90% upgrade rate.
Wow... that's better than my rate as an EXP. I'm only at 63% this year, or 12 for 19.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Advance purchasing EXPs could always "game" the system by using OLCI exactly 24 hours in advance* - and I'd argue that those advance purchasing EXPs are well-represented among those who thus gamed the system. My predicted end result? No statistical difference in upgrade rates.

*Unless flying on an international connecting itin where 24 hour check in was not possible.

The new scheme doesn't come into play at all if your upgrade cleared (or clears now) more than 24 hours in advance, as many of mine do.

The old system didn't do much for last-minute purchasers, and the new system doesn't do much for them either.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IST_flyer
If you don't mind me asking, what is your score card on upgrades since the implementation of the system? I'm platinum and I've got 3 out of 4 upgrades since beginning of march and 2 of those I requested at the gate... I don't think it's going bad at all.
I don't have a count, but the only upgrades I've had clear are ones to and from rural airports like MSP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.