Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Thanks American, your upgrade "enhancement" has destroyed EXP for me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks American, your upgrade "enhancement" has destroyed EXP for me!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
I buy my tixs 60 days out love the new rule
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
No, I think the new system is "stacked against" those who book tickets closer to travel.
As was the old system. The only difference is that the 24-hour checkers-in can't get a do-over. Since not many (relatively speaking) know of this in the first place, it only affects late purchasers who used to be able to use the 24-hour check-in trick. Late purchasers who never knew about this are not affected at all.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Ok I'll let you in on a "new trick" BOOK EARLY
I'm sure we'll see an eBay seller any moment now asking $50+ to sell you this new secret trick to getting upgraded.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by vasantn
As was the old system. The only difference is that the 24-hour checkers-in can't get a do-over. Since not many (relatively speaking) know of this in the first place, it only affects late purchasers who used to be able to use the 24-hour check-in trick. Late purchasers who never knew about this are not affected at all.
Okay, I buy that. What I dont know is where I am relative to others in typical time of purchase. I do know that I could check in for a flight on my HTC TyTN though so I didnt miss many 24 hour checkins.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Okay, I buy that. What I dont know is where I am relative to others in typical time of purchase.
I guess you'll find out. I agree that it will affect people such as yourself and the OP. My point was that the people who meet all the criteria (EXP, relatively late purchasers, know about checking in at 24 hours) probably constitute a minuscule percentage of AA flyers.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
I guess you'll find out. I agree that it will affect people such as yourself and the OP. My point was that the people who meet all the criteria (EXP, relatively late purchasers, know about checking in at 24 hours) probably constitute a minuscule percentage of AA flyers.
I wouldnt be surprised if most EXPs didnt even know to ask for upgrades.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by purpleskiesfly
... the ORD-ATL has not. Ticket was purchased Thursday 3-6-08. Will post later tonight if my upgrade clears or not.
My upgrade ORD-ATL just cleared. Boarding in 25 minutes. nothing like saving it till the end. ^
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by billgrates3
I'm sure we'll see an eBay seller any moment now asking $50+ to sell you this new secret trick to getting upgraded.
LOL
Old Mar 9, 2008, 6:50 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
But then again my wife and I had a zero percentage upgrade as EXP and PLT on flights to/from LEX.......

Learn the rules and apply them to your best Aadvantage
Complain too much and maybe someone will take the game ball home...

Be careful what you wish for as you wander...

Fred
Old Mar 9, 2008, 6:51 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
AA gets some productivity benefits from having customers only request the upgrade once. There is no confusion over getting on the airport list now.

Traveler
Old Mar 9, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
The change looks like it's a big win for EXPs, but it's a big lose for people who don't buy tickets very far in advance. I guess I can look forward to being behind EXPs who buy tickets months in advance *every single time* I fly now.
IMNSHO that's exactly what the program change was intended to achieve. Predictable rules that benefit people who PLAN to fly AA. Walk-ups can still buy Fir$t.

And it eliminates the three separate lists for upgrades.

I like it.

-----Burton
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Does this mean that 24 hour check-in still matters??

Step 4 – If your upgrade hasn't been confirmed as of the time of check-in, you will automatically be given the opportunity to be added to the Airport Upgrade Standby List** while checking in via AA.com, Self-Service Check-In, or with an airport agent. The date and time of your original request, along with your elite status level, will determine your priority on the Airport Upgrade Standby List. For any flight on which you are a confirmed passenger, standby priority at the airport will be AAdvantage Executive Platinum members first, AAdvantage Platinum members next, AAdvantage Gold members, then all other AAdvantage members.
It says that you will be given the opportunity, it doesn't say that you'll be added to the airport list automatically. Now, consider this case.. you don't check in until 2 hours before your flight. At that time (2 hours before) you may zoom to above other peopel based upon original upgrade request) but what if, between 24 hours and 2 hours, some X inventory has been released and some upgrades are awarded to people on the airport list?

What am I missing?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:27 pm

It says that you will be given the opportunity, it doesn't say that you'll be added to the airport list automatically. Now, consider this case.. you don't check in until 2 hours before your flight but between 24 hours and 2 hours some X inventory has been released and some upgrades are awarded.

What am I missing?
I think it is automatic. When I checked in Friday for a Saturday flight it seemed to be the case.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
It says that you will be given the opportunity, it doesn't say that you'll be added to the airport list automatically. Now, consider this case.. you don't check in until 2 hours before your flight. At that time (2 hours before) you may zoom to above other peopel based upon original upgrade request) but what if, between 24 hours and 2 hours, some X inventory has been released and some upgrades are awarded to people on the airport list?

What am I missing?
The airport list doesn't generate until 3 to 4 hours before flight time so no one who has checked in at say 12 hours can "zoom" ahead of others.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
I think it is automatic. When I checked in Friday for a Saturday flight it seemed to be the case.

If that's the case, why is there a checkbox when you check in online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.