Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Thanks American, your upgrade "enhancement" has destroyed EXP for me!

Thanks American, your upgrade "enhancement" has destroyed EXP for me!

Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Angry Thanks American, your upgrade "enhancement" has destroyed EXP for me!

Well, the new policy has been in place for a little while now and it's costing me. I'm missing domestic upgrades right and left.

The change looks like it's a big win for EXPs, but it's a big lose for people who don't buy tickets very far in advance. I guess I can look forward to being behind EXPs who buy tickets months in advance *every single time* I fly now.

The 24 hour check in rule at least allowed people to do something under their own initiative; they could compete for upgrades at the time window. It was a level playing field. But now, it's all about how far in advance you plan your travel.

Some business travelers have dynamic schedules. They are the big losers under this "enhancement."

Way to go, AA.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 0.8MM, Skyward, SPG Gold
I'm 3/4 on the new system.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your score card on upgrades since the implementation of the system? I'm platinum and I've got 3 out of 4 upgrades since beginning of march and 2 of those I requested at the gate... I don't think it's going bad at all.

Last edited by IST_flyer; Mar 9, 2008 at 8:02 am
Old Mar 9, 2008, 5:58 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
I am 2/2 since the roll out. My tickets are bought 12-24 hours out. To early for me to say.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Whirledtraveler - Congrats on post #10,000.

I too am curious as to which routes didn't clear and just how far in advance you booked them.

On March 6, I booked a netsaver for SFO-HNL (where i am now) March 8 - March 10, I put the reservation on hold, check the boxes for upgrades and both requests cleared immediately. I had never had this happen before.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Does this mean the OP will stop posting in OMNI asking people to post in other fora on his behalf?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:59 am

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by IST_flyer
If you don't mind me asking, what is your score card on updates since the implementation of the system? I'm platinum and I've got 3 out of 4 upgrades since beginning of march and 2 of those I requested at the gate... I don't think it's going bad at all.
I'm also starting to not see my upgrades clear early. Today will tell though. Flying DEN-ORD-ATL in a few hours. The DEN-ORD upgrade has cleared the ORD-ATL has not. Ticket was purchased Thursday 3-6-08. Will post later tonight if my upgrade clears or not.
The new process will be interesting to see how it all works as my schedule is very dynamic too at times with many last minute bookings. Not sure I'm liking the new process yet either, but I'll give in a few more weeks before I pass judgment.

Side note: As I sit here and think about this, spring break is starting and upgrades were a mess about the same time last year so who knows.

Last edited by purpleskiesfly; Mar 9, 2008 at 8:14 am
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Cleared RDU-ORD-MTJ yesterday as a PLAT. The ORD-MTJ was put in two months ago but the RDU-ORD was put in only a few weeks ago.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:03 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HH DIAMOND, SOUTHWEST RR, HERTZ
So let's see if EXP's - your equivalent status - request an upgrade before you, then you should have available a tool that allows you to jump them in line for the upgrade anyway. Please.

If the First class seat is that important to you, then buy it.

System seems more fair to me.

jdburns11
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by purpleskiesfly

Side note: As I sit here and think about this, spring break is starting and upgrades were a mess about the same time last year so who knows.
Spring break

"OWWWCH"-E.T. (1982)

Thank god, I, having no kids and being oblivious to spring break, inadvertantly and luckily, scheduled myself at home from 2/29 through 3/17.

Mrs Dallas49er is crossing off days on the calendar up to the 17th. =me =her.

On topic. Perhaps, is it possible it is an enhancement that was made with all the best of intentions of improving the EXP experience, but not thought out all the way through?

By the way I am not an AA apologist. Just see the threads on PDB!
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP-2MM, AC
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
The 24 hour check in rule at least allowed people to do something under their own initiative; they could compete for upgrades at the time window. It was a level playing field. But now, it's all about how far in advance you plan your travel.
Perhaps from your perspective it was a level playing field. Flying internationally, I could not check-in ahead of time and therefore it was far from level for me and others in a similar position.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
agreed - this enhancement has destroyed EXP for me too!

I agree that this change has not been better for my situation. I have to book my tickets relatively last minute - sometimes 1-2 days before, sometimes 4-5 days before. I am definitely at the bottom of all EXPs on elite-heavy routes like BOS-DFW, DFW-LGA. At least with 24 hour checkin, I had a fighting chance (also, I connect from IAH or AUS), so i have a better chance as a thru-passenger. Now, I see at least 6-7 EXPs ahead of me every time.

I'm like 0/4 since the changes took effect, whereas before, I had like 75-85% upgrades clear. There's slightly less incentive for me to fly AA now, as I can pay the same or slightly higher amount to fly nonstop on another carrier somewhere since one of the differentiators for me to fly AA and connect at DFW and stay loyal to AA was to have a chance at getting upgraded (of course, there are other considerations too like AAdvantage ). A little frustrating, but maybe I'll get assigned to a city where it's not so elite heavy, or I get finalized travel plans so I can book way in advance, or I get to travel on non-heavy travel days from Thurs/Fridays. Thurs/Fri and Sundays/Mondays could have been contributing to my low rate, since those are the busiest travel days..

To be fair, I am sure there are arguments/considerations for other perspectives to base the upgrade requests on, like basing on fare basis (I think this would be the most fair), check in time, time of booking/request date, etc., so it'll probably be impossible to satisfy an entire group. There will always be folks that aren't happy with what is implemented especially if it puts them at a disadvantage.

Admittedly, I am a little disappointed because the system doesn't favor my scenarios/situation. And, looking back at my heading of my post, I probably should reword it at little. I guess I should give some more time to see how this new process plays out. It hasn't totally destroyed EXP, since I still have VIPs, the EXP AAngels, first class lounge access internationally, decent reward availability and waived fees for rewards, etc. so probably safer to say that it has "reduced" my perceived value. The good thing is that EXP still has its perks value - so I guess I should give it some more time to judge.

Last edited by HankAAFlyer; Mar 9, 2008 at 9:20 am
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by yul2005
Perhaps from your perspective it was a level playing field. Flying internationally, I could not check-in ahead of time and therefore it was far from level for me and others in a similar position.
I am with you. The system now is more fair than before. Obviously, people who worked the system are now losing out.

How about being grateful for having been able to get upgrades you normally wouldn't have gotten otherwise for so long?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
It looks like there will always be some who will complain when the playing field no longer tilts in their favored direction. I suspect fewer EXPs will be gored by blitzkrieg upgraders of all Elite persuasions using the 24 hour check-in (and maybe the 4 hour "push" if it no longer works,) and the new system will be better for more and worse for fewer. Just an opinion, but...

And, perhaps the OP has modified his religious beliefs, or has e-mailed admin to request his post count be reset (yes, it can be done, whirledtraveler.)

Originally Posted by vasantn
Does this mean the OP will stop posting in OMNI asking people to post in other fora on his behalf?
Originally Posted by yul2005

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 9, 2008 at 9:31 am Reason: kirrect spilleng
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I like the new system better

Originally Posted by Deltahater
I am with you. The system now is more fair than before. Obviously, people who worked the system are now losing out.

How about being grateful for having been able to get upgrades you normally wouldn't have gotten otherwise for so long?
I prefer the new system.
No getting up to check in at 24 hours, no frantic button pushing to take advantage of the phone loophole. Last minute travel is generally so expensive that a YUP is available for not much more. Doesn't this really affect the scramble for the last few FC seats anyway? If an upgrade cleared before the airport list was created, there is no change.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by ORDflyer
I prefer the new system.
No getting up to check in at 24 hours, no frantic button pushing to take advantage of the phone loophole. Last minute travel is generally so expensive that a YUP is available for not much more. Doesn't this really affect the scramble for the last few FC seats anyway? If an upgrade cleared before the airport list was created, there is no change.
Here's what I want to know, since I am usually trying to upgrade internationally.... how does the new system affect the C inventory bucket when there is a domestic segment connecting to an international segment? The old system was as clear as mud when C upgrades did not clear in advance, now the new system is as clear as thick fog. No GA was ever able to explain to me before how priorities work in this common situation.

So... if the new system is supposed to be straight forward and fair, then C upgrades should ALWAYs have higher priority than X or R, regardless of status... but wait! On an outbound leg, if your international segment has not cleared before the departure of the first, earlier domestic segment, you don't have a C upgrade yet, therefore what is your upgrade priority on the first segment??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.