Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum! million miles - brag etc. (ended 30 Nov 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

THIS PROGRAM ENDED 30 NOV 2011 - see the new thread linked to below for current information.
● The terms of the undocumented lifetime status million miles from any / all sources program ended 30 Nov 2011; please read the new
AAdvantage® Million Miler Program Launched on 1 Dec 2011 for the current terms and conditions.

● To shout out how you made 1MM, 2MM or even more under the new program, please share in:
Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum with NEW Million Miler Program! (>1 Dec 2011)
American AAdvantage Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum! million miles - brag etc. (ended 30 Nov 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by jw713
Am I just being paranoid?
Regarding the date, yes. AA has implemented many change over the last few years, but very few - if any - occurred precisely on 12/31.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:27 am

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,
1,007,824 and all on my own dollars. Now we can concentrate on getting Mr B up to 2MM...he's at 1.3 now. Don't think I'll ever make it there, but I never would have gotten to 1MM without FT.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 6:30 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
Originally Posted by belleNY
1,007,824 and all on my own dollars. Now we can concentrate on getting Mr B up to 2MM...he's at 1.3 now. Don't think I'll ever make it there, but I never would have gotten to 1MM without FT.
Never say never. I went from ~350K miles to 2MM+ in less than two years--all on my own nickel. Of course, a fair chunk of it was compliments of a certain Swiss cheese manufacturer. Keep your eye out for MR deals, bonus offers and the like.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:42 am

Programs: AA-Gold (1mm) AMEX Plat HH Gold BA Silver
Just hit 1mm this morning on a flight from KC to ORD.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold
I know 1MM & 2MM miles lifetime status are technically unpublished benefits and I don't want to start any rumors but any chance this could be done away with in the near future? I'm about 75k away from 1MM and am trying to hit before Jan. 1.

Since I've started on the endeavor of trying to get 1MM I've been worried they would end the lifetime status before I got to 1MM. Since I'm so close and it's the end of the year and at the end of a year where AA added a lot of fees, raised fees, etc. So I'm extra paranoid this could go away 12/31/08.

Am I just being paranoid?
yes
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Regarding the date, yes. AA has implemented many change over the last few years, but very few - if any - occurred precisely on 12/31.
I'm thinking of going over 2,000,000 now rather than waiting until Jan 1 (I could do either) as I'd feel worse if the program ended than if I had earlier to expire eVIPs. I'd rather have 2/2011 than 2/2010 eVIPs, but being lifetime PLT is more important to me. Am I being silly?
Old Dec 10, 2008, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
not silly, as you've worked it out quite logically in terms of your preferences and relative risk assessment.

paranoid, perhaps, but not silly.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by richarddd
I'm thinking of going over 2,000,000 now rather than waiting until Jan 1 (I could do either) as I'd feel worse if the program ended than if I had earlier to expire eVIPs. I'd rather have 2/2011 than 2/2010 eVIPs, but being lifetime PLT is more important to me. Am I being silly?
Nah, I agree with the previous poster and I don't think you are being silly. If hitting 2MM before year's end is within your capabilities and doing so will make you more content, then why not?

Funny thing, though, is that I've been looking at this from quite the opposite perspective recently. My husband hit 2MM last week even though I had intended to delay that achievement until after Jan 1. I'm still kicking myself for miscalculating, but ah well, I've heard that the proverbial bird in the hand is worth something...
Old Dec 11, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Unless I want to fork over a bunch of money in sharing miles (I'm about 60k short and wife has 60k in her account) to send her miles to my account I won't make it before 12/31. I was hoping to have 20k SPG points to transfer, about 5k from my Citi AA and a bunch of LSC points hit to get me around 20k. If that would've happened I was going to share the miles to get there by 12/31.

More than likely I am being paranoid but now that I'm less than 60k away I'd hate to see all that hard work go to waste. Since I would never qualify for Gold on miles/segments (I only fly about 7-8 times a year) it would be nice to have lifetime status.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:30 pm

Unless I want to fork over a bunch of money in sharing miles (I'm about 60k short and wife has 60k in her account) to send her miles to my account I won't make it before 12/31. I was hoping to have 20k SPG points to transfer, about 5k from my Citi AA and a bunch of LSC points hit to get me around 20k. If that would've happened I was going to share the miles to get there by 12/31.

More than likely I am being paranoid but now that I'm less than 60k away I'd hate to see all that hard work go to waste. Since I would never qualify for Gold on miles/segments (I only fly about 7-8 times a year) it would be nice to have lifetime status.
I'm in a similar situation with 1,900,000+ miles, and I recently posed the same issue
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-buy-wait.html

while i haven't absolutely decided, I'm leaning toward letting the miles "naturally" accrue (bis + credit card) in Jan/Feb 2009 rather than buying the remaining miles before year-end 2008. Three reasons: 1) EVIP expiring a year later, 2) I'm increasingly of the opinion that fear of canceling the lifetime benefit in the next 3 weeks is overly paranoid, and 3) I save the cost of buying enough miles to put me over the 2mm mark.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
Never say never....take this with a grain of salt...FWIW...
...but I think you should wait until next year. Extra year of eVIP validity is no small thing, and there has been nothing I'm aware of about discontinuing this benefit.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, HA, NW
Living in Asia, just made LT Gold -- eVIP's?

I just received my congratulatory email for reaching the 1MM mark about 3 weeks ago. My gold status is now indicated online, and my 500-mile upgrade counter at aa.com shows 0, so I'm hoping I get eVIP's instead -- my mailing address is in Thailand. How do I check my eVIP balance, if I do in fact have them? I read somewhere that you get eVIP's if your address is in Europe -- does that mean they exclude Asian addresses?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
Went through 1MM nearly 6 weeks ago, and not a peep from AA. Never use eVIPs that much, stickers pointless (been EXP for several years), what I was really looking forward to was a letter I can stick on my bathroom wall.

Any idea how long it could take to get the letter? I've seen 1-3 weeks posted here...
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:50 am

Programs: AA L/T Gold
Originally Posted by whmere
Went through 1MM nearly 6 weeks ago, and not a peep from AA. Never use eVIPs that much, stickers pointless (been EXP for several years), what I was really looking forward to was a letter I can stick on my bathroom wall.

Any idea how long it could take to get the letter? I've seen 1-3 weeks posted here...
1-3 weeks
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Dizzle
I just received my congratulatory email for reaching the 1MM mark about 3 weeks ago. My gold status is now indicated online, and my 500-mile upgrade counter at aa.com shows 0, so I'm hoping I get eVIP's instead -- my mailing address is in Thailand. How do I check my eVIP balance, if I do in fact have them? I read somewhere that you get eVIP's if your address is in Europe -- does that mean they exclude Asian addresses?
eVIP balance is not available on line (at this time). You'll have to call AA and ask if you've rec'd them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.