Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum! million miles - brag etc. (ended 30 Nov 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

THIS PROGRAM ENDED 30 NOV 2011 - see the new thread linked to below for current information.
● The terms of the undocumented lifetime status million miles from any / all sources program ended 30 Nov 2011; please read the new
AAdvantage® Million Miler Program Launched on 1 Dec 2011 for the current terms and conditions.

● To shout out how you made 1MM, 2MM or even more under the new program, please share in:
Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum with NEW Million Miler Program! (>1 Dec 2011)
American AAdvantage Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum! million miles - brag etc. (ended 30 Nov 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Biz
Question - I assume I will need to use the e-vips by end of Feb 2009, right?
I rec'd mine earlier this year and they're good till Feb 2010:

Available VP Upgrade Balance: 4
These Upgrades Expire on February 28, 2010 How Earned: 2008 Million Miler Threshold

(but hold on, be prepared to receive at least 10 contradictory answers )
Old Sep 3, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Biz
Hi,

I've been a member for a while, but have only lurked on various threads. But it looks like I will hit 2M with AA this month as soon as my credit card amounts posts. I was happy to discover that it looks like lifetime platinum is still out there.

Question - I assume I will need to use the e-vips by end of Feb 2009, right?

Just wanted to let you know that Flyertalk has been something I've turned to for information over the past several months as it concerns my frequent travels. Thanks for all the good information. It's very cool that this is here.

Biz
Welcome to posting on FlyerTalk.

Originally Posted by purpleskiesfly
(but hold on, be prepared to receive at least 10 contradictory answers )
Please let me be the first to contradict your post. I absolutely do not agree...

that there will be at least 10 contradicatory answers. I predict 6-8 tops.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 2:46 pm
Biz

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat
Moment of panic

OK, I've just experienced a moment of panic. Yesterday (as posted earlier) my husband and mother in law shared a bunch of miles with me. My expectation is that these can be used as part of the 2M miles needed for lifetime Platinum. Since miles transferred in from hotel accounts count toward this, it makes sense to me that miles we had to pay for to share also count. Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks!

Just when you think you've thought of everything, you think of something else!
Old Sep 4, 2008, 5:57 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by Biz
OK, I've just experienced a moment of panic. Yesterday (as posted earlier) my husband and mother in law shared a bunch of miles with me. My expectation is that these can be used as part of the 2M miles needed for lifetime Platinum. Since miles transferred in from hotel accounts count toward this, it makes sense to me that miles we had to pay for to share also count. Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks!

Just when you think you've thought of everything, you think of something else!
I don't think miles you transfer in from other accounts add into your lifetime mileage counter since these miles already got counter in someone else's mileage counter. If you had bought miles those would count. I may be wrong but I think that's how it works.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 6:07 pm

No. If you transfer miles into your account, they add onto your lifetime mileage counter. NB, this is cause you're essentially paying for the transfer of miles.

That being said, you can only transfer a max of 25k per go, and usually only 15k/yr.

However, there is currently a special offer:

Share more miles. For a limited time, transfer up to 100,000 miles and receive up to 100,000 miles.

Offer ends December 31, 2008.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:03 am
Biz

Thanks. Well, it's done now, so I hope they count. I ended up paying around $800 by the time it was all said and done. So I do hope they count. Just waiting now for the SPG miles to transfer. That usually takes a few days, so it should all be there by early next week. Fingers crossed.:
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by futaris
No. If you transfer miles into your account, they add onto your lifetime mileage counter. NB, this is cause you're essentially paying for the transfer of miles.

That being said, you can only transfer a max of 25k per go, and usually only 15k/yr.

Share more miles. For a limited time, transfer up to 100,000 miles and receive up to 100,000 miles.

Offer ends December 31, 2008.
I must be missing something here because, if the above is correct, what is to stop someone creating a dummy miles account, transferring 100k miles into it from their real account and then transferring them right back again therefore topping up their lifetime miles by 100k?
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
I must be missing something here because, if the above is correct, what is to stop someone creating a dummy miles account, transferring 100k miles into it from their real account and then transferring them right back again therefore topping up their lifetime miles by 100k?
Only about $2240 is stopping you.

Can continue discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=753022&page=3

Last edited by rrgg; Sep 5, 2008 at 10:50 am
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:21 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by futaris
Interesting to note that although that looks like an AA web page, the URL actually says points.com. So these miles are actually coming from an external sourse, in which case I would expect them to count in the lifetime bucket. But man, that's pricey.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:51 am
Biz

The miles that I transferred from other accounts did post and it did push my balance up, so hopefully, everything is ok. And it was a little pricey, but worth it to me to keep my status for next year. Like I said, I didn't travel enough this year to stay platinum, but I will be traveling a lot again next year. After 10 years of being platinum or EP it was hard to think about being Gold.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
Why spend money transferring miles around that you already have, instead of just buying them? If you want to maximize your miles

1. Transfer 100K from someone
2. Buy 60K
3. Have someoen buy you 60K (gift miles)

Then on Jan 1, you can redo this for whatever the limits are

It's not to bad. Currently 90K buys a business class ticket to Europe
It would be cheaper then buying the normal business class ticket.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 6:09 am
Biz

[QUOTE=mvoight;10321005]Why spend money transferring miles around that you already have, instead of just buying them?

It costs a lot more to buy miles than to share miles. $625 to buy 25K miles vs. $250 to share.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:33 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
Finally

Bit bittersweet that it happened today, this morning, September 11th, but the counter says 2,000,050 because (some) of the Avis miles from a rental last month dropped into the account last night. Gotta call Avis about that 750 mile AAdvantage bonus...and gotta thank so many people here for sound advice, helpful hints, and the realization that you have to work it to make sure the points you earn for the money you spend - not just the flights you fly - work for you.

I'm proof it's worth it: AA EXP for the last four years, PLT before that, and a TWA red card (what was it before "Aviators"?) until 2000 have brought me some great flights (and a few bad ones, too) and now my continuing loyalty brings me an amazing lump of e-VIP's too - there's four left from this year, eight for next (I requalified for EXP this year in June) and four more due me for crossing 125K which will happen the next time I fly westbound under a promo running this year.

I read it here. I forgot who wrote it but it's been the most useful way to explain why I do it. When people say, "You must be crazy, flying just to fly," I just tell 'em I like to go really fast. Which is how the miles pile up, too.

To paraphrase Norma Desmond: "You see, this is my life! It always will be! Piling up the points! Nothing else! Just us, the airplanes, and those wonderful people out there in the dark!...on Flyertalk! All right, Mr. Randy, I'm ready for my close-up."
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:02 pm

Congrats! I passed 1MM marker today. Got a looong way to go till 2MM.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Ross0
Congrats! I passed 1MM marker today. Got a looong way to go till 2MM.
don't be so sure.... for example, I passed 1MM only 18 months ago, after joining aadvantage in 1990. Now i'm almost to 1.6MM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.