Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
IMO, this is competitive, good for AA, and won't really upset the EXP applecart very much. This is true because of the 7 month window. If this was an ongoing product, and got 14 months if purchased on January 1, I'd have to re-think my position some.

EXP dilution isn't the issue. eVIP dilution on international flights in the next 7 months probably is.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by YourAAdvantageVoice
But I have your answer. Purchasing the Prepaid Travel Card provides you with all of the benefits and privileges of the corresponding elite status -- through February 28, 2007. As the text notes, "With this special mid-year offering, your elite status benefits will be honored through February, 2007." Which means that the 8 eVIPS that new AAdvantage Executive Platinum members will receive for purchasing the $10,000 Prepaid Travel Card will expire on 2/28/07.
Has anyone noticed the (likely) slick trick of buying the $10K card after January 1 to stretch the eVIPs for another 12 months? Wouldn't work for everybody, but for someone who was flying large in January/February...
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 925
Has anyone noticed the (likely) slick trick of buying the $10K card after January 1 to stretch the eVIPs for another 12 months?
There's not a reason in the world to believe that would work.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There's not a reason in the world to believe that would work.
Why not? If I qualify in 2007, the eVIPs for a normal EXP would be good until 2/28/08. Why wouldn't these?
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 925
Why not? If I qualify in 2007, the eVIPs for a normal EXP would be good until 2/28/08. Why wouldn't these?
You're pulling my leg, right?
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:43 pm

You're pulling my leg, right?
Nope, not pulling your leg. I am 12 time zones from home, dead tired, read only 25% of this (long) thread, but my comment was sincere, and well-intentioned.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 925
Nope, not pulling your leg. I am 12 time zones from home, dead tired, read only 25% of this (long) thread, but my comment was sincere, and well-intentioned.
In the exact post you quote, it says:
"With this special mid-year offering, your elite status benefits will be honored through February, 2007." Which means that the 8 eVIPS that new AAdvantage Executive Platinum members will receive for purchasing the $10,000 Prepaid Travel Card will expire on 2/28/07.
Get some rest!

And safe travels.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:50 pm

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
Originally Posted by 925
Has anyone noticed the (likely) slick trick of buying the $10K card after January 1 to stretch the eVIPs for another 12 months? Wouldn't work for everybody, but for someone who was flying large in January/February...
According to the AA website, the cards are only for sale through the end of August (next month).
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:57 pm

The elite market would change dramatically if these could be bought anytime, ongoing - and they lasted for 12 (or even 6-9) months! I'd buy for five or more travelers (3 Plats and 2 Golds) AND aa would get business they don't currently get.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by 925
IMO, this is competitive, good for AA, and won't really upset the EXP applecart very much. This is true because of the 7 month window. If this was an ongoing product, and got 14 months if purchased on January 1, I'd have to re-think my position some.

EXP dilution isn't the issue. eVIP dilution on international flights in the next 7 months probably is.
Think about how many people would need to take advantage of this offer for VIP dilution to really be an issue. Everytime you use a VIP, you're already competing with any passenger - with or without status -- wanting to use a mileage upgrade, and there are exponentially more of those people than there ever will be newly minted EXPs as a result of this program.

I do agree with your and Jon's general point, however, that this is a good, competitive move for AA. I was thinking, for example, why they wouldn't want to offer this to existing EXPs: that is, give 8 extra VIPs to any existing EXP willing to prepay $10k worth of air travel. I suspect the answer is that the $10k prepaid by an existing EXP is unlikely to be incremental revenue. That is, it represents revenue AA likely would capture eventually anyway, albeit a few months early (although under GAAP I am sure AA cannot recognize the revenue from the sale of the cards all at once anyway). In the case of passengers who are not currently EXPs, on the other hand, I suspect that AA is predicting that a lot of the $10k cost of the card will be incremental revenue to AA: revenue that would have gone to a different airline or to no airline.

So given that I don't think this will have a significant impact on existing EXPs, this just strikes me as a shrewd move by AA.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 925
The elite market would change dramatically if these could be bought anytime, ongoing - and they lasted for 12 (or even 6-9) months! I'd buy for five or more travelers (3 Plats and 2 Golds) AND aa would get business they don't currently get.
That's definitely not gonna' happen.

And, prices would be more than double, needless to say. That's a given.

I really think your lack of sleep is creeping up on you.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
That's definitely not gonna' happen.

And, prices would be more than double, needless to say. That's a given.

I really think your lack of sleep is creeping up on you.
I agree it is not likely to happen, this seems much like a one shot to attract new customers. Better than AAirpass, in some cases ( like my CA routes which actually cost more with AAirpass than they do retail) since at least you get your money's worth.

I don't know how the prices of gift certificates can double at all. They are just gift certificates/prepaid travel vouchers.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Question

I'm in, I was going to call for a comp. UA has pissed me off and AA flys to JFK-LHR and JFK-NRT. I have spent $3000 in the last three weeks on UA alone.
The $5000 is an easy spend for me.
I only read the 1st seven pages but has anyone found out how many EVIP's you do get?
Thanks,
Jon
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I don't know how the prices of gift certificates can double at all. They are just gift certificates/prepaid travel vouchers.
I think Jon means that the buy-in, pre-paid levels would change... i.e. $20k for EXP, $10k for PLT, etc.

Originally Posted by BDLORD
I only read the 1st seven pages but has anyone found out how many EVIP's you do get?
Well, assuming you bought the $10,000 card for EXP, you'll get 8 eVIPs. If, however, you bought the $5000 card for PLT as indicated above, you'll get none.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BDLORD
I'm in, I was going to call for a comp. UA has pissed me off and AA flys to JFK-LHR and JFK-NRT. I have spent $3000 in the last three weeks on UA alone.
Thanks,
Jon
You get 8 VIPs for Executive Platinum qualification. You get zero for Platinum, which is what the $5000 card would give you.

If that's all you're going for, and if you're doing JFK-NRT in paid J/F (or a high coach fare -- Y/B), you may be better off just signing up for the Platinum challenge. You'll qualify after your first segment posts, you'll get the 100% Platinum bonus on that segment, and you won't be subject to the restrictions of the prepaid travel card. And you'll be able to earn points/miles on the CC charge for the ticket. (Of course the r/t JFK-NRT in J/F would most likely use up most if not all of the $5000 card...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.