Wiki Posts
Search

STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YourAAdvantageVoice
But I have your answer. Purchasing the Prepaid Travel Card provides you with all of the benefits and privileges of the corresponding elite status -- through February 28, 2007. As the text notes, "With this special mid-year offering, your elite status benefits will be honored through February, 2007." Which means that the 8 eVIPS that new AAdvantage Executive Platinum members will receive for purchasing the $10,000 Prepaid Travel Card will expire on 2/28/07.
Don't know why anyone would have assumed and/or told anyone anything different.

THANKS for the clarification!

p.s. -- LOVE the suit.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by inlanikai

I got my perks an eVIPS after I flew the miles. They get their's before simply because they ponied up to the bar at half the cost of what it would have normally taken to get EXP. Thanks for the slap in the face to all us 10's of thousands of EXPs.

Right?
I question that part. I will make EXP for the third year in 2006 (in all cases, flying over 125K, actually), and I haven't spent near $10K to do that, without tryine very hard to keep costs down. EXP can be obtained for considerably less than $10K, so I think these folks are paying a premium for it. I still don't like the option because I, as you, earned the status the hard way (and even the segment qualifiers deserve real EXP)...but it ain't coming to them cheap.

Cheers.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:58 am
Suspended

The united product allowed for companions and were allowed to purchase tickets for all alliance carriers as long as it was on ua ticket stock.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:59 am
Suspended

Due to the short expiry of the purchase card why not turn it into a refundable and then to a travel voucher.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I sincerely hope I'm reading you wrong.

So as an existing EXP (valid through 2/28/07) if I give AA $10K now and buy this card I get nothing additional other than a piece of plastic and a thank you.
Look -- clearly this product was not targeted toward someone like you. Get over it.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sithlord
Due to the short expiry of the purchase card why not turn it into a refundable and then to a travel voucher.
Because the refund from the refundable ticket won't be via voucher, it will be a credit to the card. The terms and conditions are quite clear on this.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Look -- clearly this product was not targeted toward someone like you. Get over it.
Obviously.

But me and all the other EXPs are "targets" when it comes time to compete with the Card Newbies for upgrades.

Don't worry, I'll sleep fine tonight. Thanks for caring.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
I would have jumped on this had it been available last December even. Sure, I made EXP anyway (and made Plat with the challenge quickly) but since I knew I'd be spanding way more than 10K it would have been cool to be able to use the FL in LAX and ORD as I went through there, as well as the 1st section of CX lounges in HKG. Given I was booking stuff anyway (so AA had the money) it would have gotten me the (improved) lounge access those times not to mention 8 more evips (had it been before 2/28/06).

I suspect I *am* the target market -- i.e., airline switchers. Think of it as a "comp you have to put your money where your mouth is to get."

Steve
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by brp
I question that part. I will make EXP for the third year in 2006 (in all cases, flying over 125K, actually), and I haven't spent near $10K to do that, without tryine very hard to keep costs down. EXP can be obtained for considerably less than $10K, so I think these folks are paying a premium for it. I still don't like the option because I, as you, earned the status the hard way (and even the segment qualifiers deserve real EXP)...but it ain't coming to them cheap.

Cheers.
I think you're missing the point. Spending $10K to get EXP is likely not worth it and as you point out, it can be done cheaper.

But if you have $10K of travel that you will be doing anyway, then this deal gets you EXP for nothing more than paying for that travel a bit early.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

..But me and all the other EXPs are "targets" when it comes time to compete with the Card Newbies for upgrades.

Don't worry, I'll sleep fine tonight.
I won't. But certainly having nothing to do with this...
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:30 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by swag
I think you're missing the point. Spending $10K to get EXP is likely not worth it and as you point out, it can be done cheaper.

But if you have $10K of travel that you will be doing anyway, then this deal gets you EXP for nothing more than paying for that travel a bit early.
Nope. I think you may have mistaken what I was responding to- specifically the claim that someone paying $10K for EXP was getting it at about half of what it would take to get it "normally". I was contending that I get it "normally", and definitely do not spend $20K, or even the $10K. So, I agree with you completely, but it's not relevant to what I was saying

Cheers.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YourAAdvantageVoice
But I have your answer. Purchasing the Prepaid Travel Card provides you with all of the benefits and privileges of the corresponding elite status -- through February 28, 2007. As the text notes, "With this special mid-year offering, your elite status benefits will be honored through February, 2007." Which means that the 8 eVIPS that new AAdvantage Executive Platinum members will receive for purchasing the $10,000 Prepaid Travel Card will expire on 2/28/07.
Is this an official confirmation that the eVIPs are part of the deal? I had not heard back and don't want to do the deal unless I am sure I'm getting those extra 8 eVIPs.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
* This is a complete betrayal to those of us who have been loyal to AA, through all the good times and bad, because of the rewards (perks, considerations, unwirtten benies, etc) that loyalty brings in the form of EXP.

* I go out of my way to go to SIN 3x a year by taking AA through NRT (~$6400 in J) and 3x to HNL through ORD on AA from NYC. These alone give me my EQPs towards EXP. The only reason I do it is to work towards EXP. I can take the n/s on SQ to SIN from EWR and the n/s on CO from EWR to HNL and save a lot of time, hassle and aggrevation. But I don't because I am loyal to AA for the EXP benefits. These tix easily cost over $20K a year. So, instead, I can pay $10K use it for a few trips during half the year and spend the other +$10K on CO and SQ and UA and work towards some elite level there.
You also could go out of your way and fly CX to SIN and also earn EXP status, but presumably you choose to fly AA because you can use your EXPs to upgrade to F. Which of course confirms your statement that you're loyal to AA because of the perks being loyal brings.

Maybe I'm misreading your complaints, but your tone suggests to me that you feel that your loyalty is being rewarded with a stick in the eye. I guess I view my relationship with AA more dispassionately: ours is a purely economic relationship. I'm not loyal to AA because it snuggles me in its bosom, but because the loyalty pays off in the form of upgrades, free travel, and other benefits. AA doesn't provide me with these benefits to reward me for past behavior, but rather to incent future behavior. (Again, I apologize if I am mischaracterizing the tone of your post.)

Where am I going with this? (Like I really know!)

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but this offer doesn't trouble me at all. I can't imagine that enough people will take advantage of this offer to materially affect the availability of benefits to me. (Granted, lots of people could take advantage of this offer, but the vast majority either won't know about, or won't understand the benefits of being EXP, or won't care about the benefits.) And if I'm wrong about that, then I can always change my economic relationship with AA. The more likely scenario, IMHO, is that one day I will not requalify for EXP and that I will be the one buying a prepaid card to regain my EXP status.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Is this an official confirmation that the eVIPs are part of the deal? I had not heard back and don't want to do the deal unless I am sure I'm getting those extra 8 eVIPs.
According to the bolded part above, the eVIPs are only applicable to new EXPs.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tismfu
According to the bolded part above, the eVIPs are only applicable to new EXPs.
Exactly, and YAAV emphasized same with her bolding.

You'll still have to clear it with a "suit" to see if they'll let you circumvent the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.