Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
So could I buy this as a OneWorldExplorer ticket (AONE3) on AA stock using this card?

ORD-DEL(AA292)//HKG-JFK(AA6090)-ORD(AA4133)

(I know it's a valid AONE3 routing - the question is does it meet the terms as being an AA product)
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:04 am

good question any answers?

[QUOTE=y

If I travel with my wife with the same PNR, can I use this card to pay for the tickets?[/QUOTE]

can a tix for a traveling companion be purchased?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:16 am

If true, explat worse than Plat?????

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Actually, my understanding from talking to the EXP desk this evening is there are NO eVIPs for anyone on this deal - they could not find any mention of them but are calling me back to confirm.
Of course, I mean predominatly INTERNATIONAL travelers.

If you don't fly domestic a lot, then upgrade Q does not matter.

It seems the ability to earn 500 mile stickers outweighs better lounge access.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:19 am

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
Exclamation Ouch!

#11 If you use the Card to make ineligible purchases, in addition to deducting the amount of such purchase from your Account, American will charge you an extra amount equal to the entire purchase price of such ineligible purchase. If there are sufficient funds in your Account, we will deduct this extra amount from the Account balance. If there is any shortfall, we will bill you for the shortfall amount and any payment not received within 15 days of receipt of our invoice will bear interest at the rate of 1.5% per month or portion thereof.

So if you bought a $10k card then booked a $5k ticket, but ran afoul of some eligibilty requirement (maybe left one segment w/ partners flt# instead of the AA codeshare #) AA could conceivably cancel your ticket, take your other 5 grand and leave you high and dry? That doesn't seem so great.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by writetorich
can a tix for a traveling companion be purchased?
The text says NO in two places.

All purchases on the Card must be made by the Cardholder and for the Cardholder only.

The Card is not a gift card, is not transferable and is void if transferred or sold. All purchases on the Card must be made by and for you. The Card cannot be used to purchase air travel or other products or services for your spouse, other family members or others.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by shawbridge
Thanks, elitetraveler. Do these eVIPs also help if you are flying business class to Europe or Asia or Australia? Can you get upgraded to first?

Do the eVIPs expire? Can they be used by other people than the original recipient?

Additional clarification that may not be obvious to all readers- you can't use them to Australia as AA doesn't fly there with with own planes (i.e., AA metal as another poster stated). Also, yes you can use them to upgrade to first but only if you have purchased a business class ticket.

So, $10K seems like a GREAT deal for Explat. My company and I spent a lot more than that this year to get me to that level .
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bedelman
I was surprised by this provision: "All travel purchased with the Card must be completed, and all funds in your Account must be used, by February 28, 2007" (emphasis added).

The goal being, naturally, to force the user to purchase expensive fares because it is so late in the year. It is part of AA's overall strategy to retain more high-revenue customers, now that business travelers are buying Q tickets on Travelocity.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Well, here's the view from where I sit.

I and folks who work for my company, when we travel, it's typically mid-con (2K miles roundtrip), and we try to fly on discounted fares, averaging $400. So that's 25 weeks of travel to spend $10K. None of us make EXP, that would be 50 weeks of travel, and thankfully, it's not quite that bad for us.

I won't do the offer, not this time.

But if it repeats with the same terms but a beginning-of-year announcement next year, it becomes very tempting. 25 weeks of travel in a full year is much more likely.

And a company like mine but where policy says to buy only refundable tickets (~$1000), well, now it's only 10 trips to make this a deal.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:25 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by millionmiler
Additional clarification that may not be obvious to all readers- you can't use them to Australia as AA doesn't fly there with with own planes (i.e., AA metal as another poster stated).

When we receive the purchase price, American will issue within approximately 5 to 7 days a plastic payment card ("Card") in your name which may be presented as a form of payment for air transportation on flights published and operated by American Airlines, American Eagle® or AmericanConnection® carriers or on flights published by American under its "AA" code but operated by one of our codeshare partner airlines.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:29 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by planeluvr
When we receive the purchase price, American will issue within approximately 5 to 7 days a plastic payment card ("Card") in your name which may be presented as a form of payment for air transportation on flights published and operated by American Airlines, American Eagle® or AmericanConnection® carriers or on flights published by American under its "AA" code but operated by one of our codeshare partner airlines.
I do believe that millionmiler was answering a question on the use of eVIPs, not the use of the payment card. And the answer that eVIPs are only usable on AA metal is the correct one.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I do believe that millionmiler was answering a question on the use of eVIPs, not the use of the payment card. And the answer that eVIPs are only usable on AA metal is the correct one.
Correct, I can't read this morning.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:20 am

I am not a suit

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
From my call to AA they don't even seem to know if you get the eVIPs when you buy the 10k EXP card....all they could say is they could not find anything that says you do get them. As mentioned above, they are calling me tomorrow. Guess one of the suits at AAdvantage will have a query when the get to their desk tomorrow.
But I have your answer. Purchasing the Prepaid Travel Card provides you with all of the benefits and privileges of the corresponding elite status -- through February 28, 2007. As the text notes, "With this special mid-year offering, your elite status benefits will be honored through February, 2007." Which means that the 8 eVIPS that new AAdvantage Executive Platinum members will receive for purchasing the $10,000 Prepaid Travel Card will expire on 2/28/07.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:37 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Overall, I think the deal still sucks, but we love ya, YAAV, even if you are sitting there wearing jeans. Thanks yet again for your participation ^

Cheers.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by YourAAdvantageVoice
But I have your answer. Purchasing the Prepaid Travel Card provides you with all of the benefits and privileges of the corresponding elite status -- through February 28, 2007. As the text notes, "With this special mid-year offering, your elite status benefits will be honored through February, 2007." Which means that the 8 eVIPS that new AAdvantage Executive Platinum members will receive for purchasing the $10,000 Prepaid Travel Card will expire on 2/28/07.
Interesting. I sincerely hope I'm reading you wrong.

So as an existing EXP (valid through 2/28/07) if I give AA $10K now and buy this card I get nothing additional other than a piece of plastic and a thank you. But, for those that aren't EXP who do the same they get 8 eVIPS and now I have to compete with them for the next 6 months for the use of our eVIPs and free upgrades.

I got my perks an eVIPS after I flew the miles. They get their's before simply because they ponied up to the bar at half the cost of what it would have normally taken to get EXP. Thanks for the slap in the face to all us 10's of thousands of EXPs.

Right?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, UA, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
OR.. you could just book 5 rt's from the IAD - LAX deal (which all that I'm seeing are really in N class, 1/2 qual), call AA and request a Platinum Challenge. $219 x 5 sounds better than just dropping $5k up front. which if i'm not mistaken from speaking with AA over the weekend, if you did this now you would keep status till feb or march '08.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.