Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG, GP
I think AA did a nice job crafting this offer. They'll get some folks to sign up and book a nice pile of $ 'early'. For most folks here who already have their mileage strategy (and reservations) already well planned out it does not seem to offer much. Which is exactly what they want to do anyway.

The timing is the thing that disappoints me. A month or two ago I would have gone for it but more than 1/2 way through the year I'd be concerned about making sure I got the spending done. Most likely I will go well over 10K but I hate the idea of constraining my schedule to AA code shares when outside the US. Besides, I'm actually looking forward to a few SNN/DUB runs this fall to reach the 125K Anniversary bonus!

Programs: AA PlatPro - 1mm, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by trm2
So, what if you bought the card, used it for your normal flying the rest of the year, then on 2.28.07 purchased a refundable ticket for whatever you had left and refunded it (which I am guessing takes some time)? Can they force you to spend the money on the extension?
I assume that refunded tickets get refunded back the same way that they were paid for (just like credit cards, cash, etc). I'm sure AA would put the money back in your account and be happy to charge you the extension fee.

Programs: AA Peon Gold
So, what if you bought the card, used it for your normal flying the rest of the year, then on 2.28.07 purchased a refundable ticket for whatever you had left and refunded it (which I am guessing takes some time)? Can they force you to spend the money on the extension?
I'd imagine they'd just refund your "account". It's basically a prepaid credit card.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

2 new EPs on the way

Well, sucker deal or not, 2 of my friend I forwarded this to are all ready, set and anxious to do it (pending a call to AA for a few clarifications on the eVIPs etc.) Both are very high-rev customers.

My guess is that the EP one will sell pretty well. The Plat and Gold I could never recommend to anyone, needless to say, as a Plat challenge this time of year (for far, far less) would last until 2/08.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Read the rules more closely. Pay for the extension and get 3 extra months (until 5/31/07).
say you had $3k left to spend in those three months. $350 means you're paying a 11.7% premium on all those airfares. great deal for AA, but we're surely going a little nuts if we start paying even more than AA already charges for flying.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Confused.
Sounds to me this card is kind of non-transferable voucher.

The Card is not a gift card, is not transferable and is void if transferred or sold. All purchases on the Card must be made by and for you. The Card cannot be used to purchase air travel or other products or services for your spouse, other family members or others. You may only establish one Account and receive one Card per Account. Your Card may not be used to purchase air travel or other products and services offered by other airlines or third parties.
If I travel with my wife with the same PNR, can I use this card to pay for the tickets?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:01 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ASULawFlyer
Is an AA gift card considered a travel product? If so, I could see some work-arounds here....
Originally Posted by Card Offer
The Card may be used to pay the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. It may also be used to purchase ancillary services directly related to your own travel such as upgrades, excess baggage fees; pet fees; oxygen fees; or taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with booking through American Airlines Reservations and American Ticket Offices, AAdvantage® award travel redeemed by you; or an Admirals Club® membership or one-day pass for yourself. The Card cannot be used to purchase in-flight products, duty free goods, AAdvantage® miles or other products or services offered by American not listed above.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:01 pm

wouldn't work. the expiry is for all flying, not just purchasing.

All travel purchased with the Card must be completed and all funds in your Account must be used by February 28, 2007.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:02 pm
cxn

Originally Posted by yuchung5
Confused.
Sounds to me this card is kind of non-transferable voucher.

If I travel with my wife with the same PNR, can I use this card to pay for the tickets?
I dont know how they can get away with this in California. Time to call the AGs office .
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:03 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Here's the issue I have: Can you use the card to pay for your bookings on AA.com, or will you have to speak to someone on the phone and pay the phone fee for each ticket you book?

With regard to EXPs, is the phone fee waived?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:12 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hoc
Here's the issue I have: Can you use the card to pay for your bookings on AA.com, or will you have to speak to someone on the phone and pay the phone fee for each ticket you book?

With regard to EXPs, is the phone fee waived?
Yes, the phone fee is waived for EXP. So, if you buy the EXP option, you're good on fees. Ready to sign up?

Cheers.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:13 pm
Hoc

Now here's a class action lawsuit waiting to happen:

Originally Posted by Card Offer
American reserves the right to cancel your Card and AAdvantage elite status, without a refund, at any time . . . for conduct that is detrimental to the interests of American Airlines, the American Eagle or American Connection carriers. American has the sole right to interpret and apply the terms and conditions of the Card program.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:14 pm
Hoc

Originally Posted by brp
Yes, the phone fee is waived for EXP. So, if you buy the EXP option, you're good on fees. Ready to sign up?
Yeah, if only I can figure out how to fly 100k miles between Jan 1, 2007 and Feb 28, 2007, I'm right there!
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
For those interested in reading the T&C's for United's equivalent offer, see

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51197,00.html

Here are the relevant portions about refunds. They're not quite as bad as AA's terms, which require you to forfeit completely after a period of time, but they're close:

14. If You have a remaining balance of $250, or less, on February 28, 2007, You will receive a travel voucher good for air travel on United, United Express or Ted equivalent to the amount remaining on Your Card account. Terms and conditions apply to the travel voucher. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of travel voucher. For more information, go to united.com/prepaidtravel.

15. If You have a remaining balance over $250 on February 28, 2007 on your Card account, You will receive a travel voucher good for air travel on United, United Express or Ted for the first $250 on Your account and will receive a refund from United of fifty percent (50%) of Your outstanding balance above $250 less a $100 processing fee. Please allow a minimum of 12 weeks for delivery of travel voucher and refund.
FWIW, you get 6 SWU's (eVIP equivalents) if you buy UA's top-tier (1K, which is EXP equivalent) card. So AA better be offering eVIPs if you buy the EXP card.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
A few observations from this AAdvantage memeber from Day One and EXP for many years. Take fit or what it's worth:

* This is a complete betrayal to those of us who have been loyal to AA, through all the good times and bad, because of the rewards (perks, considerations, unwirtten benies, etc) that loyalty brings in the form of EXP.

* There is nothing that I read, maybe I missed it, that says you can't spend the $10K for someone else's tickets. A CEO buys the card using his AAdvantage number, gets EXP benies, and sends 10 people to a trade show twice over the next 6 months and he has EXP.

* I go out of my way to go to SIN 3x a year by taking AA through NRT (~$6400 in J) and 3x to HNL through ORD on AA from NYC. These alone give me my EQPs towards EXP. The only reason I do it is to work towards EXP. I can take the n/s on SQ to SIN from EWR and the n/s on CO from EWR to HNL and save a lot of time, hassle and aggrevation. But I don't because I am loyal to AA for the EXP benefits. These tix easily cost over $20K a year. So, instead, I can pay $10K use it for a few trips during half the year and spend the other +$10K on CO and SQ and UA and work towards some elite level there.

* Let there be no doubt, if this plan works they will do it again and again. Maybe make it $15K over 12 months. Whatever. They will fine tune it to death until they figure out how to maximize the revenue and limit the liability. But I'm certain that the dilution of loyalty by their best customers will never figure into the equation.

* Just like prepaid phone cards, AA knows that some of the $ amount will go unused and expire worthless. Yeah, they'll give you back $350 less $35 but statistics are on their side and they are going to be pocketing cash. Kudos to the bean counter at AA who thought this one up. It will only make the program more acceptable to AA management to reincarnate it in some other form.

* EXPs, and those who aspire to be EXPs, should screem like H*** to their nearest AAngel on the phone. Let them hear loud and clear that this stinks.

Welcome to American Airlines where everything, even loyalty, is available for a pre-paid price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.