Wiki Posts
Search

STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inlanikai
Obviously.

But me and all the other EXPs are "targets" when it comes time to compete with the Card Newbies for upgrades.

Don't worry, I'll sleep fine tonight. Thanks for caring.
Well, come back to us in March, and let us know if your upgrade % changed noticeably from before this offer to after this offer. It'll be easy for me to track -- I'm running 100% over the last 12 months, so if I all of a sudden end up sitting in coach, I'll know who to blame.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Is this an official confirmation that the eVIPs are part of the deal? I had not heard back and don't want to do the deal unless I am sure I'm getting those extra 8 eVIPs.
Yes, of course, you can have all the eVIPs you want.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:05 am
Suspended

Timing sucks for me too. I signed up for the PLATINUM challenge and met it with one trip in Buisness Class to Australia. I am a NW Platinum and was first complimented to Gold and then Platinum before I took the flight. The other problem I have is that my ticket is purchased by our prime down under, to whom we are subs. I couldn't use the travel card to purhcase my tickets. I am probably looking at 4 Business trips down under every year.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by Blumie
You also could go out of your way and fly CX to SIN and also earn EXP status, but presumably you choose to fly AA because you can use your EXPs to upgrade to F. Which of course confirms your statement that you're loyal to AA because of the perks being loyal brings.

Maybe I'm misreading your complaints, but your tone suggests to me that you feel that your loyalty is being rewarded with a stick in the eye.
I used to do JFK-SIN on CX but I hate the long night flight (CX889) with the stop in YVR which ends up taking longer than JFK-NRT-SIN on AA/JL. And the afternoon CX n/s to HKG doesn't get into HKG in time to connect with the flights to SIN.

My loyatly is being rewarded just fine. I just thought EXP was something you earned for how often you flew with AA after the fact, not before. And, shortcuts to EXP, like Challenges and comps, were never applied to EXP. Just concerned that the door is now cracked open and longer term this could devalue EXP status.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:23 am
Suspended

In regard to current exp's getting 8 more evip's I don't see why not as aa is looking for money up front anyway possible. I don't see why a refundable ticket could not be turned into a voucher.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sithlord
I don't see why a refundable ticket could not be turned into a voucher.
Answered in Post #126.

From the rules:

13 If you use the Card to make a refundable purchase, any refund (less any applicable fees and charges) will be credited to the Account only. Your ability to obtain a refund depends on the fare rules that apply to the ticket(s) or other products or services you purchase. Please allow a minimum of 12 weeks for receipt of credit. Refunds will not be credited to your Account after it expires on February 28, 2007, unless you purchase an extension, as described below.
Refunds go to the account only. Not to a voucher.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sithlord
In regard to current exp's getting 8 more evip's I don't see why not as aa is looking for money up front anyway possible. I don't see why a refundable ticket could not be turned into a voucher.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
As an EXP, since I know I will be spending 10k dollars with AA flying between now and then - I could use the extra eVIPs.

--specifically, if I got 8 i would use them JFK-LAX to up from C to P - i think the C fare is probably about 2k RT and the P is about 4.5 so at 4 RTs it would save me about 10k buying C and upgrading instead of buying P
If you are already an EXP? what would you be buying? AA is seling EXP status for $10K. The eVIPs come with EXP. There is no offer of selling eVIPs alone. In my opinion, EXP will get nothing for $10K as you can't buy what (EXP) you already have, EXP.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:42 pm

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by inlanikai
I just thought EXP was something you earned for how often you flew with AA after the fact, not before. And, shortcuts to EXP, like Challenges and comps, were never applied to EXP. Just concerned that the door is now cracked open and longer term this could devalue EXP status.
I know people who've been comp'd EXP based on future business. It seems that this offer just formalizes what they've occasionally done in the past.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
I know people who've been comp'd EXP based on future business. It seems that this offer just formalizes what they've occasionally done in the past.
I don't agree with that characterization in any way, shape or from.
It's simply not accurate.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I welcome this option (even if I won't personally use it myself, at least not this year). I'm curious on how this works for those who will certainly spend at least $10,000 in the next few months on AA travel but are required to put their individual travel on the company credit card and to have things itemized far more than some other businesses/clients require.

Since this works for "AA" coded flights (i.e., operated by one of AA's codeshare partner airlines), this may be usefully applied to a few more people. Nice.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:25 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I actually would consider taking advantage of this if it weren't for the Feb. 2007 limitation on when you must fly. There is no way that I am likely to buy another $10k worth of tickets (beyond those I already have) for flights to be taken by next February. If that limitation weren't there, I could buy tickets through February to be used up to a year from then, and I easily fly more than $10k worth in a year.

Problem is, most of my tickets through Feb. of next year are already purchased via nonrefundable tickets, so I couldn't spend enough on the card to justify it. I think that AA is banking on using this to attract those who buy tickets last minute, at full fares, and just want the upgrades and lounge privileges.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA , AA
Originally Posted by Hoc
I actually would consider taking advantage of this if it weren't for the Feb. 2007 limitation on when you must fly. There is no way that I am likely to buy another $10k worth of tickets (beyond those I already have) for flights to be taken by next February. If that limitation weren't there, I could buy tickets through February to be used up to a year from then, and I easily fly more than $10k worth in a year.

Problem is, most of my tickets through Feb. of next year are already purchased via nonrefundable tickets, so I couldn't spend enough on the card to justify it. I think that AA is banking on using this to attract those who buy tickets last minute, at full fares, and just want the upgrades and lounge privileges.
Just a thought but I believe the nonrefundable tickets can be canceled and you will still have one year to use the funds for future flights. Then you can rebook with the prepaid card. Maybe someone with more experience can comment.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
If they would make the status and the funds good for a slightly longer period I would grab this. I easily spend $10,000 a year on travel but will probably never make EXP or earn an evip in the normal course. Except for one foreign vacation a year, most of my trips are short notice, high fare, domestic flights where someone else reimburses me for the fare and I use stickers to upgrade if I can. One example: I flew LAX to Des Moines last Sunday and returned on Monday. The coach fare was around $1300. I easily do a dozen trips like that in a year. I would probably squeeze in another international vacation (or two) if I had some evips to get started with and I MIGHT be able to earn EXP the honest way if I did that. The timing on this offer is bad because I am not going to be able to travel for ten weeks this fall.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'm curious on how this works for those who will certainly spend at least $10,000 in the next few months on AA travel but are required to put their individual travel on the company credit card and to have things itemized far more than some other businesses/clients require.
Wouldn't work for me (assuming I didn't already have EXP). Not only do I have to use the corporate Amex, but I have to book through the corporate Travel Agent, because we get negotiated fares, which obviously wouldn't be available booking directly through AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.