Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Plato90s
I would think the worst negative impact is on RTW ticket sales.

When you can spend the $10k for EXP status and pick your travel, the running around for RTW fares will lose incentive.
I don't follow -- can you explain? RTW fares are usually cheaper than buying normal tickets.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
You'll qualify after your first segment posts, you'll get the 100% Platinum bonus on that segment, and you won't be subject to the restrictions of the prepaid travel card. And you'll be able to earn points/miles on the CC charge for the ticket.
Don't forget that if you sign up for the Platinum challenge now, status is good through February 2008 (whereas with the prepaid card it's only good through Feb 2007). I believe you can charge the prepaid card though, so you're not losing out on the points/miles for that.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by anabolism
I don't follow -- can you explain? RTW fares are usually cheaper than buying normal tickets.
Some people buy a RTW ticket as an instrumental part of getting/retaining EXP status. If such people could get EXP status by trading:

A. $10,000 of travel that will happen anyway (but just gets "prepaid" this way)

for

B. spending an additional $5000-9000 for the premium cabin RTW trip and "investing" the RTW travel time to get EXP status

then there will be some substitution of A for B, without a necessary increase in the travel budget following from that (and probably with a slight decrease in some individual's overall travel budgets).
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by acf573
Don't forget that if you sign up for the Platinum challenge now, status is good through February 2008 (whereas with the prepaid card it's only good through Feb 2007). I believe you can charge the prepaid card though, so you're not losing out on the points/miles for that.
Which brings up an interesting point: If all the EXP benefits apply, that might well also include the "soft landing". So a non-elite who prepays the $10K would get EXP thru 2/07, Plat thru 2/08, and GLD thru 2/09.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
Which brings up an interesting point: If all the EXP benefits apply, that might well also include the "soft landing". So a non-elite who prepays the $10K would get EXP thru 2/07, Plat thru 2/08, and GLD thru 2/09.
Good point, I assume it does include the Soft Landing, as Plat status gained via challenge does get the soft landing (at least it did for me when I first challenged about 6-7 years ago....)
Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:40 am

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
Originally Posted by Capite
I just bought the $10k EXP version of the card. <snip>
I'll try to keep everyone posted on how it works. One downside is that I can't start using it until the card actually arrives in the mail. I paid for Priority Shipping, but who knows how long they will take to process it. Also, my EXP status doesn't take effect until I get the prepaid card and 'activate' it.
Well, here is a downside:
I just called customer service hoping to get them to expedite, but they said to expect them to take 5-7 days to get the card in the mail. After that, I ordered 2-day Priority Fedex (the fastest they offer), so I'm looking at 7-9 business days from when I ordered (or 9-11 days from the Saturday I ordered). Sigh.

With such a limited time at EXP, and needing to make my travel arrangements, having to wait a week or more for this card *after* you pay is a bit of a downer.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 9:14 am
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some people buy a RTW ticket as an instrumental part of getting/retaining EXP status. If such people could get EXP status by trading:

for

B. spending an additional $5000-9000 for the premium cabin RTW trip and "investing" the RTW travel time to get EXP status

then there will be some substitution of A for B, without a necessary increase in the travel budget following from that (and probably with a slight decrease in some individual's overall travel budgets).
I can't imagine that this would be the case, given that EXP status via the card is only good through Feb 07, while EXP status gained via a RTW will be good through Feb 09.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by GUWonder

for

Since my business travel dropped dramatically this year, I've started using RTW fares on personal trips to maintain status (Circle Pacifics in business class). But the prepaid card status is only through Feb 07, right? Whereas flying on RTW tickets gets status through Feb 08. So I don't see much competition there.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Platinum
Slightly OT, but do we know what happened to the thread OP?

Many thanks as some of us are concerned.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Hoc
I can't imagine that this would be the case, given that EXP status via the card is only good through Feb 07, while EXP status gained via a RTW will be good through Feb 09.
I don't think it would be the case in the short-term either. However, if such becomes a more or less recurring item, then it could be the case to some marginal degree.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AA56
Slightly OT, but do we know what happened to the thread OP?

Many thanks as some of us are concerned.
This is a topic that cannot be discussed on FT. Let it go

Cheers.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:23 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I did want to make one comment for those of you who, like me, are PLT and are even considering a $10k card. Remember that the 25th Anniversary deals are going on this year. Under those deal, as a PLT, if you fly more than 75k miles this year, you will get a 10,000-mile bonus.

If, however, you get this card, it bumps you up to EXP for 7 months, and you will no longer earn any bonus at 75,000 miles. Instead, you will have to fly 125,000 miles to get any kind of bonus (at which point you will earn 20,000 miles or 2 more eVIPs). So, figure that into your equation, as well.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by ijgordon
You get 8 VIPs for Executive Platinum qualification. You get zero for Platinum, which is what the $5000 card would give you.

If that's all you're going for, and if you're doing JFK-NRT in paid J/F (or a high coach fare -- Y/B), you may be better off just signing up for the Platinum challenge. You'll qualify after your first segment posts, you'll get the 100% Platinum bonus on that segment, and you won't be subject to the restrictions of the prepaid travel card. And you'll be able to earn points/miles on the CC charge for the ticket. (Of course the r/t JFK-NRT in J/F would most likely use up most if not all of the $5000 card...)
That sounds like a very good plan!
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
One can send the $10,000 and get 7 months (a little less even-- and that's if one does it immediately, we haven't really announced this thing even (if it wasn't for you!)) at EP and have to spend the money on AA.

One can take the same $10,000 and easily make EP in early 2007-- either in a week, or a month, or several months, etc. Maybe a nice DONE6 or something. That 10 grand will then yield up to 26 months at EP-- plus flying all over the world in comfort and not having to spend the $$ by the prescribed date. That's more than 3 times as long at EP for the same $$, and a far "better" use of the $$. If you're gonna' look at this from a "mileage runner's" p.o.v.
With some planning, one can get 33 months of EXP and 8+8=16 VIP for buying the prepaidcard in Aug'06 and flying in Jan'07. Which brings me to the question, can this be used to pay for an AONE3 or DONE3, provided all segments are on AA ?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Capite
Well, here is a downside:
I just called customer service hoping to get them to expedite, but they said to expect them to take 5-7 days to get the card in the mail. After that, I ordered 2-day Priority Fedex (the fastest they offer), so I'm looking at 7-9 business days from when I ordered (or 9-11 days from the Saturday I ordered). Sigh.

With such a limited time at EXP, and needing to make my travel arrangements, having to wait a week or more for this card *after* you pay is a bit of a downer.
Check you status on aa.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.